× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP6000-100NAS still worth to upgrade?

Mai_ben
Aspirant

RNDP6000-100NAS still worth to upgrade?

Hi, 

I have a Netgear RNDP6000-100NAS (RNDP6620, no hardware changes) and it hasn't been used for a while.
Now I wonder if I should buy a new NAS or if it is still worth upgrading this NAS?
I want to use it for storage of photos/documents (and so on) from different devices.
I also want to sync the data with a cloud service.
At this moment there is no data on the NAS. I read in several topics that the CPU and RAM can be upgraded: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/What-can-I-do-with-a-RNDP6000-100NAS/td-p/2015786
https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Fastest-cpu-options-for-RNDP6000-100NAS/m-p/1690773#M34825
https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Trouble-upgrading-cpu-on-RNDP6000-100nas/td-p/1689671
Because the topics are older, is it still worth to upgrade this NAS?
Do you have any advice on this for the software and hardware? Thanks in advance.
Maikel
Model: RNDP6620|ReadyNAS Pro 6 12TB (6 x 2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RNDP6000-100NAS still worth to upgrade?

At today's used prices, the upgrades are very cheap (under $25US will do it), and well worth it, in IMHO.  A Pro BE model with a Core2 Duo E7500 and 4GB of RAM will out-perform many low-end native OS6 ReadyNAS unless you are using SSDs.  The only things lacking are USB3 and eSATA ports.  The Pro only supports SATA2, but you really don't see much improvement with SATA3 and spinning drives.

You absolutely must update the BIOS in the Pro before you install any processor faster than a Core2 Duo E6600.  I recommend staying away from quad-core processors.  Though some will work, the cooling system just won't keep up.  There is little reason to go to 8GB, and one big on not to -- price.  4GB modules that will work in a Pro are quite expensive because most Windows computers of that era were limited to 4GB and had two slots, so few needed 4GB ones except for servers.  But most servers can use 2Rx4 RAM where the NAS needs 1Rx8.  Most Macs could use more, but could also use 2Rx4.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It is inexpensive to add some memory and convert it to OS-6.

I think it is still useful for your particular applications (cloud sync and storage consolidation), as their performance is generally limited by your network speed (both local and internet), not the CPU speed.  I don't see much reason to upgrade the CPU if you are only using it for storage.

There always is some risk of hardware failure.  Memory, the power supply, and fans can be replaced fairly easily.  Other hardware failures (System board for instance) can't be repaired.  But if you have a good backup plan in place, it makes sense to use the NAS as long as it is reliable.  

One thought is that you could get a new NAS, and then use the Pro-6 for backup.  That's how I'm using mine (it backs up my RN526).

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

At today's used prices, the upgrades are very cheap (under $25US will do it), and well worth it, in IMHO.  A Pro BE model with a Core2 Duo E7500 and 4GB of RAM will out-perform many low-end native OS6 ReadyNAS unless you are using SSDs.  The only things lacking are USB3 and eSATA ports.  The Pro only supports SATA2, but you really don't see much improvement with SATA3 and spinning drives.

You absolutely must update the BIOS in the Pro before you install any processor faster than a Core2 Duo E6600.  I recommend staying away from quad-core processors.  Though some will work, the cooling system just won't keep up.  There is little reason to go to 8GB, and one big on not to -- price.  4GB modules that will work in a Pro are quite expensive because most Windows computers of that era were limited to 4GB and had two slots, so few needed 4GB ones except for servers.  But most servers can use 2Rx4 RAM where the NAS needs 1Rx8.  Most Macs could use more, but could also use 2Rx4.

Message 3 of 5
Mai_ben
Aspirant

@StephenBThank you for your clear explanation and I will take your advice into consideration. Also a good idea to use this NAS as a backup.

Message 4 of 5
Mai_ben
Aspirant

@SandsharkThank you for your clear explanation and I also will take your advice into consideration.

I will not forget to upgrade the BIOS also! Thnx.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements