× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP600E shows 2 drives dead at same time and now with no way to access data

mrwizard93
Aspirant

RNDP600E shows 2 drives dead at same time and now with no way to access data

My ReadNAS RNDP600E running 6.9.4 until just now when I installed 6.9.5 shows me no data and when I look at the logs on my NAS admin screen I see the following:

Jan 29, 2019 10:40:07 AM

Volume: Volume data is Dead.
Jan 29, 2019 10:39:50 AM

Disk: Disk in channel 5 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED.

Disk: System will be shut down in 30 minutes because of disk failure.

Volume: Volume data health changed from Redundant to Dead.
Jan 29, 2019 10:39:20 AM

Disk: Disk in channel 6 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED.

I also get a "no volumes exist" error.

How in the world can 2 drives fail simultaneously? Is there any way to retrieve my data?

Seems like a strange coincidence that the two drives failed at the same time. 

CDB

Model: RNDP600E |ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 5
mrwizard93
Aspirant

Re: RNDP600E shows 2 drives dead at same time and now with no way to access data

Some additional info - 

There is also a message at the top that says "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk Disk #3,4,5,6."

And there is also an Alarms window giving the same message in one line as well as a second message saying the same but for all 6 disks.  

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDP600E shows 2 drives dead at same time and now with no way to access data

@mrwizard93 wrote:

How in the world can 2 drives fail simultaneously? Is there any way to retrieve my data?

Seems like a strange coincidence that the two drives failed at the same time. 

To clarify, the NAS detected that they failed at about the same time.  That's not quite the same thing. For instance, I've had disks that appeared to be ok until I tried to write to them.

However, it isn't that uncommon for disks in RAID arrays to fail in rapid succession.  They usually are the same model, purchased at the same time, installed in the same chassis, and subjected to the same loads.  One of several reasons why you need a backup, and not just depend on RAID.

You could download the log zip file, and look for more clues on what happened.  disk_info.log will give the SMART stats, there could be more information in mdstat.log, system.log, kernel.log, etc.

I also suggest powering down the NAS, connecting the drives to a Windows PC, and testing them with vendor tools (Lifeguard for Western Digital, Seatools for Seagate).  It is conceivable that something went wrong with the NAS Sata interfaces, and that the disks are ok.

@mrwizard93 wrote:

Is there any way to retrieve my data?

Try testing the disks first.

If the disks can still be (mostly) read, then you could try cloning them. You'd then put the clones in the NAS and try booting up read-only (to prevent any attempts to repair the file system, which could cause more damage).  If that works, then back up everything you can, do a factory reset, and restore the data from the backup.

Raid Recovery software is an option - in particular ReclaiMe.  You'd need a way to connect all the disks to a Windows PC - which likely would require you to purchase USB adapters or a multi-disk dock of some kind.

There are some third-party data recovery services.  Netgear's service might be available - but you likely will run into issues since OS-6 isn't supported on your NAS.

Message 3 of 5
mrwizard93
Aspirant

The weird thing is that it seems like I can see the drives themselves on the admin page so the drives are not actually dead from what I would think (non functioning in some fashion). Forgive me on this part but i am at work now and going off of memory - when i go to the admin page and look at each disks health, I believe only one or two of the drives report SMART errors and only 1 SMART error at that. I have not taken the drives out for fear of doing something that would definitely be unreversable.  

And you are correct, I did put in the drives in pairs and i also agree that if they had the same load, same vendor, same run times, that it is conceivable that they would fail at the same time. But, geez, what luck that would be!

Would I be able to download those logs from the admin page of the NAS? I will look in the forum for instructions. 

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mrwizard93 wrote:

Would I be able to download those logs from the admin page of the NAS? I will look in the forum for instructions. 

Yes.  Just go to the log page in the admin UI - there is a download control there.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements