× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDU 2000 not always detected by RAIDar

pkannoglou
Aspirant

RNDU 2000 not always detected by RAIDar

Hi all,

I purchased a bare RNDU 2000 and I am banging my head to have it working.

First a "short" history of my specific situation...
All my data is currently on a 2TB RAID-1 md volume in a debian server.
In order to transfer my data, I figured I could install the NAS with one physical disk in X-RAID2 mode and expand it later to a full mirror.
So, I extracted one of both disks from by debian machine which now has its array degraded, and shoved the disk in the RNDU.
It worked fine, I could see it in RAIDar, build the volume and connect to the web admin interface.
As I saw in documentations that firmware upgrade can be destructive, I decided to upgrade to last version (forgot to write down pre/post upgrade versions).
Once done, prior to reboot, I was given the choice to perform disk & quota tests during reboot. Since it was late and I was going to sleep, hell I checked both boxes, it had another 7 hours before I would take a look on it again.
In the morning, I found the NAS unresponsive, with power and disk1 leds lits, no activity sign, not seen by RAIDar. Bad.
I shut it down ungracefully (long press on power) and tried to start again.
Since then no luck.

Now, if I start the NAS...
- with no disk : not seen in RAIDar
- with disk : not seen, disk1 led is lit
- with no disk + boot menu / factory default : seen in RAIDar but naturally no disk in it is quite uselesss
- with disk + boot menu / factory default : not seen
- with disk + boot menu / skip volume check : not seen
- sith disk + boot menu / disk test : seen in disk test

I will report disk test status when done, if the NAS does not disappear again.
But this hdd was working fine without any alerts before I took it out of my pc.
I would appreciate hints, if this scenario gives anyone an idea.

I currently have no other disk to test with it since my data is not secured elsewhere.
I strongly hesitate to put the disk back in the debian pc to see its condition. Probably it no longer has its original md superblock. But what if it does, and the degraded md array that holds my data gets corrupted ?...
It seems the 4 pins headers beside the reset button on the backpanel is a 3v3 serial port, so I should get a level converter this week in order to plug it on my pc's serial port and see some console activity (or not) at startup, but until then I'm blind.

If you have any further questions on what I've done (f*ed) I'll try ton answer at my best.

Thanks
Message 1 of 3
pkannoglou
Aspirant

Re: RNDU 2000 not always detected by RAIDar

Result of boot menu / disk test run --> corrupt root.
I guess the hdd would appreciate a wipe, but I'm surprised the RNDU has no option to perform this by itself.

I noticed the nas now accepts telnet connections, however the default username/password valid for the web interface is not accepted.
I have tried various dummy combinations with no luck.
Message 2 of 3
pkannoglou
Aspirant

Re: RNDU 2000 not always detected by RAIDar

Hello,

I finally could install my both hdd with the NAS, although this required some disk juggling.

Now from left to right :
- Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 > HCL OK
- Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 > Not in HCL
I started in X-RAID with only the seagate, installation & upgrade went fine this way.
Then I checked "use next disk for reliability" in frontview, I cold-added the hitachi and the array was built.

The only lead I have about the trouble I went through is that I started with only one disk , and it was the hitachi.
Yet it now runs with this drive with no alert, and my searchs in the forum tend to show the HCL is far from being up to date.

I'm still asking myself another few questions (the most important one about /proc/mdstat reporting a raid5 array with 2 drives [!!!]), I'm looking in the archive about them.

- Pierre
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements