× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDU4000 Can't access shares

maudigier
Aspirant

RNDU4000 Can't access shares

Hello,

I purchased an ReadyNAS back in 2011 and was using it up until 2013 when I divorced. I just plugged it back in and tried to access via my macbook pro and could not. On the front of the ReadyNAS, it shows the IP address 192.168.1.162

I cannot find it on RAIDar either with my old version 4.3.8 nor with the new version I just installed 6.3-T1

I can see it listed as a connected device on my router, and I can connect to it directly via the IP address, but it says that no shares are currently accessible (see picture).

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 1.33.00 AM.png

I assume that the firmware is old or corrupt or that I have some kind old add-on that is no longer supported, but am hesitant to perform an OS reinstall using the boot menu as explained in the link below without some guidance...

https://kb.netgear.com/21104/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Ultra-4-Ultra-4-Plus-Pro-4...

The ReadyNAS contains all the baby pics from my two boys, and I would really appreciate any guidance from the community.

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only,RNDU4000|READYNAS ULTRA 4|EOL
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDU4000 Can't access shares

Let's not do the OS reinstall just yet.

That screen only means that you have no shares that are set up to use http as the file sharing protocol.

What happens if you enter https://192.168.1.162/admin ?  You should get a username/password prompt.  Do you know the admin password of the NAS?

Also, did you try using finder to connect to the NAS using it's IP address?

Message 2 of 5
maudigier
Aspirant

Wow - that did it! I was able to access the admin tool (pic below) as well as connect to my desired share via finder. I confirm that I was able to access my pictures. Thanks so much!

Would you recommend a firmware update or anything else to get it up to snuff before I start using it again?

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 1.21.36 PM.png

Message 3 of 5
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello maudigier,

Since you manage to access the Admin page and the share of the NAS verified all of your pictures are there. The NAS appears to be in a working condition you may start using your NAS from here on. As for firmware upgrade I would recommend first to observe the behavior of your NAS if it is working fine then there is no need to upgrade the firmware however if you notice there are some signs of software or firmware problem then that is the time we would recommend to consider upgrading the firmware.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you are up and running.

What firmware are you running now?  Current firmware is 4.2.31.

I disagree some with Marty - you probably should update the firmware, since it has to be a few years out of date.  However, I think the thing to do next is to back up the critical data (anything you really don't want to lose) to another device, so you have a second copy.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements