× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDU6000 Won't power on

Aspirant
Aspirant

RNDU6000 Won't power on

Hello All,

I've had my RNDU6000 for about eight years (6 * 3TB) running regularly with no major issues . . . until now.  Either the power supply fan or main fan was making sounds.  Powered down the unit to blow out the dust and to see if there were any visual problems.  None.

Put everything back together and the unit isn't powering on at all.  Aside from replacing the power supply, what other steps should I take to help diagnose the problem (also determined that the power cord is functional) ?

Many thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RNDU6000 Won't power on

Without it turning on, there is not a lot you can do.  A non-fuctional main fan will not stop it from booting, BTW.

Does the LAN LED light when you plug it into a router or switch?  If not, that's a pretty sure sign it's the power supply.  The +5VSB power, which stays on even when the NAS is "off" (unless the toggle switch on the rear is also off) powers the NIC and power circuit and is a common failure mode.

If the LAN LED is lit, you can try removing all drives (labeling order for proper re-insertion) and see if it boots that way.  But it's doubtful that's going to help.

The power supply is usually the first thing to go.  Folks just keep a NAS longer than they would typically keep a PC, so they see failures on them that they would not on a PC.

If you have a "spare" standard ATX supply, you can connect it externally to the unit and see if that will fix it before you buy a suitable SFX format replacement or decide to completely replace the NAS.

Message 2 of 3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: RNDU6000 Won't power on

No power to the LAN lights at the back, so I'm assuming its the power supply. Found one and ordered it. Hopefully it'll solve the issue. If not I then need to determine the best way to recover the data.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements