× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDU6000 won't boot - faulty PSU or bricked NAS?

ruudpel
Aspirant

RNDU6000 won't boot - faulty PSU or bricked NAS?

Hi everybody,

I have a Ultra 6000 which has been performing flawlessly for about three years now. I recently upgraded my drivers to 6 x 4TB and that whole process went quite smooth. I lost some data but that was my own fault, not Netgears. However, I did begin to notice (and this might have started before the upgrade) that the NAS occassionaly shut itself down. I'd wake up, try to upload something to the NAS and the FTP software would say it couldn't find the NAS. I'd check on the machine itself and it was just turned off. After turning it back on, it would be fine again. This situation did start to get worse over time, up the point where I am now. Which basically means the NAS has stopped working. When I now turn on the NAS, it either shuts itself down within two seconds or so, or it will stay on, the word 'ReadyNAS' will be displayed but that's it. It won't boot. I can't access the boot menu either. This is very upsetting because I can't access the data which is on the NAS. I know, back it up..but it's hard to back up 10+ TB 😉

So,I ruled out memory. Can't access boot menu. USB boot recovery also won't work. So I'm looking at either the PSU or an unidentifyable problem. If it's the PSU, I can simply buy a new one and replace it and that's it. Just need to figure out if it actually is the PSU. That's gonna be hard. But let's say it's not the PSU and my NAS is definitely bricked. The drives itself and the data on it, should be fine. I might be able to buy a RNDP6350, which also has six bays. Would I be able to migrate my discs from the RNDU6000 to the RNDP6350? I know it depends on CPU architecture, but I can't find out for sure if they have the same one or not. So I'd appreciate it if you guys can verify this for me.

Also, of course, I'm open to any other suggestions regarding my problem. Also, maybe as a symptom, when I try to boot the NAS and it actually stays on, the fans never go to a lower RPM. Could a faulty PSU cause the NAS to shut itself down and/or not properly boot? I read somewhere at the NAS checks if the PSU is putting out the right volts and amps, and if it doesn't, it won't boot.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

With best regards,
Ruud
Message 1 of 43
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Check the NAS chassis by doing this: Turn off your NAS then pull-out all drives but make sure to label the drives from which bay you have pull it out. Then, turn on your NAS without any drives inside it. Check if it will be detected on RAIDar and if it will not automatically shut down.

If ever the NAS stays on and its detected on RAIDar, since you mentioned that you already have a back up of all of your data, I suggest that you turn off your NAS then insert the drives accordingly to their respective bays then do a factory reset on your NAS and check if same problem will occur.
Message 2 of 43
StephenB
Guru

What model 4 TB drives are you using?

One way to check the hardware is to remove all the drives (labeling them by slot), and inserting a scratch drive that is not part of the array. Then turn on the NAS, and see if it boots/does a factory install.

A failing PSU might pass that test, since it isn't providing as much power. However, other failures to the system board, etc. would likely still fail.

Netgear support can help you migrate your data to an RN316 or RN516 - which is probably a better path than getting a used replacement. You will need enough disks to offload the data though (as a side benefit you'd then have enough to back up the NAS!). Though your disks should migrate to a Pro-6.

BTW - of course Ixa's advice to do a factory reset will result in losing all your data (I think he mis-ready your original post).
Message 3 of 43
RX
Luminary
Luminary

StephenB wrote:
BTW - of course Ixa's advice to do a factory reset will result in losing all your data (I think he mis-read your original post).

:oops: Ooops! My mistake... I have misunderstood it ruudpel... you don't have any back up yet. StephenB got a better advice for you.

ruudpel,

Check out this link if ever you want to contact Netgear Support: http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/#tab-call
Message 4 of 43
ruudpel
Aspirant

Hi all,

thanks for your suggestions. Let me try to answer them as well as I can.

Ixa: I have tried to boot the ReadyNAS without any drives; it doesn't change anything I'm afraid. The display shows 'ReadyNAS', the LEDs light up (blue power, green above backup button), and that's it. And it's correct that I don't have a backup yet; I was still in the process of putting my data from other discs back to the NAS.

Stephen: I'm using six WD40EFRX's. I have not tried one drive yet; I will try to do that tomorrow. I will look into the RN516 option. I'm glad to hear my discs should migrate without data loss to another Ultra 6 or a Pro 6. If I were to purchase the secondhand Pro 6, how would I migrate the discs? If I insert all my discs into the Pro 6, wouldn't it want to do a factory reset by itself?

Also, tomorrow I'm going to try to rule out the PSU..measure some things to try to determine if it puts out the right volts and amps. I've done some research and it seems, though the Netgear NAS-es themselves are built like tanks, the Sea Sonic PSU's can be a weak spot.

Thanks again and great holidays to you guys,
Ruud
Message 5 of 43
StephenB
Guru

ruudpel wrote:
...If I were to purchase the secondhand Pro 6, how would I migrate the discs? If I insert all my discs into the Pro 6, wouldn't it want to do a factory reset by itself?
First insert a scratch disk (not part of your array) into the pro, and power it up. That will do an initial factory install. Then upgrade the firmware.

After that completes, shut down the pro-6, and insert your original drives, then power up. It might over-install the firmware, but shouldn't hurt your data.

If you go with the RN516, netgear support would walk you through the steps. As I mentioned above you'd need enough external storage to save your data.
Message 6 of 43
ruudpel
Aspirant

Hi guys,

thanks again. We looked at the PSU and everything seems to be fine; all the volts on the plugs are as what they should be. So for now, I have to be 99% sure the PSU is fine. RAM and disks themselves are fine too, so I'm gonna have to assume the NAS is bricked (motherboard, cpu, whatever). So now I'll to look into replacement options. And that's where I need your help. I know have a RNDU6000. So far, I have three options:

1. a secondhand Ultra 6 Plus (RNDP600U). Very cheap, but secondhand so no warranty.

2. a secondhand Pro (RNDP6350). Also very cheap, but also no warranty.

3. a new Pro (RNDP6000). A bit more expensive, but comes with I believe a 3 year warranty.

So my very first priority is the ability to transfer my current discs to the new NAS. My second priority is the generation and/or specs. Let's say to make things less complicated money is not a factor.

edit: I have looked at the RN516; but at around 700 euro, it's by far the most costly option. I can spend some money on this, but 700 is quite a lot.

What would you guys recommend?
Message 7 of 43
RX
Luminary
Luminary

As per the 3 options that you have... For me, I would rather choose a new ReadyNAS Pro 6 since it will come with a 3-year hardware warranty. Let me inform you that the ReadyNAS Pro 6 is already End-Of-Life (EOL) as shown on the Netgear site: http://support.netgear.com/product/RNDP ... o%2b6%2429

Since the RN516 is too costly for you, how about if check out the RN316 since its also an Intel-based ReadyNAS OS 6 model. Check the comparison of the specs here: http://netgear.com/images/pdf/ReadyNAS_ ... 700_DS.pdf
Message 8 of 43
StephenB
Guru

Hardware warranty on a new Pro is 5 years, not 3. Though there aren't many new ones left...

Some users here have purchased broken NAS when buying second-hand, so that is something to watch out for.
Message 9 of 43
ruudpel
Aspirant

my apologies, the 316 is about 650-700 euro here. The 516 is closer to a 1000. I can get the RNDP6000 new with warranty for 400.

so I guess you guys would lean toward the new one with warranty over the cheap secondhand one. I did some forum searches and found that the Pro model is for (small) business and the ultra model is voor home use. Meaning they are almost identical but the Pro has better specs (cpu and such). They do share the same architecture? I can migrate my current discs from the Ultra to the Pro? Would this be the procedure to follow?

http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/03/26/mig ... -platform/
Message 10 of 43
Nhellie
Virtuoso

This is a good guide since they are using the same platform, but before doing anything else make sure that you have 100% of the data backed up.
Message 11 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the NAS won't boot you can't make sure the data is backed up befor you do the migration.
Message 12 of 43
Nhellie
Virtuoso

mdgm wrote:
If the NAS won't boot you can't make sure the data is backed up befor you do the migration.

:oops: haven't thought of it. I guess it will be a big risk to do this without support though.
Message 13 of 43
ruudpel
Aspirant

mdgm, that's correct..I can't boot so I can't back up the data that's on the NAS right now. I'll have to use the online guides like the one I posted, and your help/knowledge/support to migrate the discs, once I have a new NAS. As of now, it looks like I'll go for the new Pro one, so that I'll have 5 years warranty. I might also get one of the secondhand ones, sell the harddrives that come with it and then I should have the NAS (the Ultra Plus) almost for free.

Anyway, thanks for your help so far, I'll check back in once I have the NAS about migrating the discs. I hope it's okay to use this topic for that; if not, let me know, and I'll open a new one in the appropriate forum.
Message 14 of 43
ruudpel
Aspirant

alright guys, update. I'm gonna need your help again in the not so near future.

I've ordered the Pro 6, which should arrive any day now. I'm also gonna buy the secondhand Ultra 6 Plus, that will include 6 3TB drives. The plan is to sell the drives, which should almost cover the cost of the Ultra. That one will just be a spare. I roughly have about 10TB of data on my current NAS which is not accessible since it won't boot. If I follow online guides on migrating discs from the Ultra to the Pro, would you say that has a high chance of success? Because I could, but it's a lot of work, try this. Buy NAS Data Recovery software from Runtime Software. Attach five of the six drives from my current NAS to my computer. Run the software and hope it recognizes the RAID array. It has RAID5 support, but I and they are not 100% sure if it'll work with RAID-X2. If it does, I could use my secondhand Ultra as a backup for my data. Of course this is a lot more work than just migrating the discs from the Ultra to the Pro, so that has my preference. I'd appreciate your opinion on this.
Message 15 of 43
StephenB
Guru

You should be able to
(a) boot up the Pro-6 and the ultra with a scratch disk (not in the array)
(b) verify that the firmware is correct (and if not install the current firmware)
(c) power down the NAS, insert your existing disks, and then power up.

You might not get all the business features of the pro-6 w/o a factory reset, not sure about that.

The alternative is to follow that procedure with the spare ultra, and do a factory install on the pro-6 (with fresh disks). Then copy the data to the pro-6 over the network, using frontview backup.

Either way, then set up frontview backup to keep the ultra current.

I see no need to buy NAS data recovery software, I don't think it improves your chances of success.
Message 16 of 43
ruudpel
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

thanks. I just received my Pro 6. So, just to be 100% sure..

1. I insert a random disc that is not part of my current array in the Pro
2. I boot the Pro and install the latest firmware
3. I power down the Pro and remove the random disc
4. I move all six discs from my Ultra to the Pro in the same order
5. I boot up the Pro and check again for any firmware/RAIDiator updates

and that's it..correct?
Message 17 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. Well it would be advisable to also go to Status > Health in Frontview and recalibrate the fan.
Message 18 of 43
ruudpel
Aspirant

Ah yes, the fan, forgot about that one. thanks for the reminder. I'll let you guys know if it all worked out.
Message 19 of 43
ruudpel
Aspirant

ok quick update. finally some good news to report; the migration went fine! I followed the exact procedure as before and the array from the broken NAS was recognized and as expected all the files are still there. Let's hope the Pro will last me longer than three years. Thanks for all your help, especially mdgm & Stephen! happy holidays guys.
Message 20 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

Similar situation here -- my ReadyNAS Pro 6 blew it's PSU last night (RNDP6000; 2 months out of the 5yr warranty; 6x2TB, XRAID, I can't check radiator version, since it's dead and I foolishly didn't write it down somewhere). Interestingly, the PSU seems to be able to deliver a small amount of juice -- I can see the network lights dimmly flickering even when not connected to a network -- but not enough to boot.

I just ordered an empty RN316 -- netgear tech support said I can transfer the drives to this unit and recover everything. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has actually done this? The netgear FAQ indicates this should be possible as long as the old and new systems have the same architetcture -- the Pro 6 was running an x86 version of radiator, the RN216 has an Atom CPU, which I assume still counts as x86, so this seems like it should work. The unofficial FAQ indicate the new unit has to be running a >= version of RAIDiator as well, which should be case out of the box.

I just thought I'd double check on the forum to see if there are any gotchas or things to look out for before I do this (everytime I don't something goes wrong... My plan is to simply pull and label the drives and then slot them into the new RM316 in the same order and boot. Hopefully the new unit will be here tomorrow. After reading the FAQs, I'm going to assume the brand new unit has the latest firmware and mine hasn't been updated in at least a year, so I'm going to skip the "update firmware with spare drive" step, but otherwise follow the guide at http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/03/26/migrating-your-disks-from-one-readynas-to-another-readynas-on-th....

Anyone see a problem there?
Thanks!
Message 21 of 43
StephenB
Guru

mazerj wrote:
Any luck with this? My ReadyNAS Pro 6 blew it's PSU last night (RNDP6000; 2 months out of the 5yr warranty; 6x2TB, XRAID, I can't check radiator version, since it's dead and I foolishly didn't write it down somewhere).

I just ordered an empty RN316 -- netgear tech support said I can transfer the drives to this unit and recover everything. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has actually done this? The netgear FAQ indicates this should be possible as long as the old and new systems have the same architetcture -- the Pro 6 was running an x86 version of radiator, the RN216 has an Atom CPU, which I assume still counts as x86, so this seems like it should work. The unofficial FAQ indicate the new unit has to be running a >= version of RAIDiator as well, which should be case out of the box.

I just thought I'd double check on the forum to see if there are any gotchas or things to look out for before I do this (everytime I don't something goes wrong... My plan is to simply pull and label the drives and then slot them into the new RM316 in the same order and boot. Hopefully the new unit will be here tomorrow. After reading the FAQs, I'm going to assume the brand new unit has the latest firmware and mine hasn't been updated in at least a year, so I'm going to skip the "update firmware with spare drive" step, but otherwise follow the guide at http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/03/26/migrating-your-disks-from-one-readynas-to-another-readynas-on-th....

Thanks!
You will need Netgear's help to migrate the disks. The RN316 uses 6.2.x firmware, the Pro-6 uses 4.2.x firmware. The file system and the linux versions are completely different. You will also need enough storage to back up your data.

So the short answer is that the faqs you read don't apply to this particular migration, and you can't simply plug in your old disks and have everything work.
Message 22 of 43
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Mazerj,

Kindly check this link: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... libQ%3D%3D

Since you have already contacted Netgear Support, if ever they have given you any steps then you could just follow it. Otherwise, contact them again for assistance. 😄
Message 23 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
mazerj wrote:
Any luck with this? My ReadyNAS Pro 6 blew it's PSU last night (RNDP6000; 2 months out of the 5yr warranty; 6x2TB, XRAID, I can't check radiator version, since it's dead and I foolishly didn't write it down somewhere).

Thanks!
You will need Netgear's help to migrate the disks. The RN316 uses 6.2.x firmware, the Pro-6 uses 4.2.x firmware. The file system and the linux versions are completely different. You will also need enough storage to back up your data.

So the short answer is that the faqs you read don't apply to this particular migration, and you can't simply plug in your old disks and have everything work.

Now I'm really confused and a bit nervous after arranging for the RN316 to be overnighted to me -- can 6.2.x machines access 4.2.x filesystems at all? If not, then I'd say I'm screwed. And if so, what on earth were the tech support people talking about?

I'm perfectly fine with just getting the RN316 to mount the old partitions temporarily so I can copy the data off over NFS and then reformat the drives.. Can 6.2.x mount old format drives in some sort of legacy mode for reading off the data only? Is there any info on this on-line so I can poke around (and sleep tonight..)?
Message 24 of 43
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Hi mazerj,

Since the ReadyNAS Pro 6 and RN316 are both Intel-based ReadyNAS, all I know is its possible that you could insert your existing drives from the ReadyNAS Pro 6 to the new RN316 bays accordingly from which you have pulled it out. Make sure that the new RN316 is still off while you insert your existing drives. Then, power on your new RN316 and you should be able to access the data. BE SURE to COPY/BACKUP your data right away once you were able to access it. Then after backing up the data, factory reset the new RN316 and proceed with the initial setup. finally, restore the data you have backed up.

If you are hesitant in what I have suggested, it would be best that you do it with Netgear Support over the phone for guidance: http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/#tab-call
Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements