× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDU6000 won't boot - faulty PSU or bricked NAS?

mazerj
Aspirant

Ixa wrote:
Hi mazerj,

Since the ReadyNAS Pro 6 and RN316 are both Intel-based ReadyNAS, all I know is its possible that you could insert your existing drives from the ReadyNAS Pro 6 to the new RN316 bays accordingly from which you have pulled it out. Make sure that the new RN316 is still off while you insert your existing drives. Then, power on your new RN316 and you should be able to access the data. BE SURE to COPY/BACKUP your data right away once you were able to access it. Then after backing up the data, factory reset the new RN316 and proceed with the initial setup. finally, restore the data you have backed up.

If you are hesitant in what I have suggested, it would be best that you do it with Netgear Support over the phone for guidance: http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/#tab-call

That makes sense -- my recollection is that the readynas boots from HHD, not flash, but uses flash when there's no OS on the disks (initial config etc). So perhaps the 4.2.x installed on the HDDs will work on the RN3216 hardware well enough to backup the data.. I'll call support before I do anything once the new unit arrives tomorrow.
Thanks.
Message 26 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What I suggest you do is put a spare disk (must not be from your array) in the 316, update the firmware on the 316 to the latest, verify the update is successful, power down, remove the spare disk, then move your disks across (keep the order the same) and power on the system normally. It should come up so that you can copy your data off.

The NAS will detect that the drives have the old OS on them and boot the old OS off the drives so you can copy the data off.

Once you've backed up your data and verified the backup is good, you can then do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.
Message 27 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
What I suggest you do is put a spare disk (must not be from your array) in the 316, update the firmware on the 316 to the latest, verify the update is successful, power down, remove the spare disk, then move your disks across (keep the order the same) and power on the system normally. It should come up so that you can copy your data off.

The NAS will detect that the drives have the old OS on them and boot the old OS off the drives so you can copy the data off.

Once you've backed up your data and verified the backup is good, you can then do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense -- one last question, though -- do I really need to update the firmware first if I'm going to do the recovery off the 4.2.x living on the drives? No big deal to do it, I'm just wondering...
Message 28 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well that depends on what firmware comes on the replacement NAS. If it is very old then it would probably be advisable. There have been improvements to handling booting the old os off the disks over time.
Message 29 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

fair enough... wish me luck 🙂
Message 30 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Well that depends on what firmware comes on the replacement NAS. If it is very old then it would probably be advisable. There have been improvements to handling booting the old os off the disks over time.

No joy -- upgrade the firmware and replaced the temp drive with the 6 from the readynas pro 6 keeping the order the same. It booted, requested an IP from the dhcp server and displays "ERR: Could not properly extract" on the LED display. Responds to pings, but the web gui isn't active.

Any suggestions before I call tech support and try to open a ticket on this?
Message 31 of 43
StephenB
Guru

Have you double-checked your warranty status? If you joined the forum when you purchased the ultra, you have a month of warranty left.
Message 32 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

I think I'm 2 months out of warranty -- but it'll take days to track down the exact purchase date through the university's purchasing system. However, I have a brand new RN31600 that's 100% under warranty but can't boot from the old disks, contrary to what tech support told me yesterday when I contacted them.
Message 33 of 43
StephenB
Guru

mazerj wrote:
I think I'm 2 months out of warranty -- it'll day takes to track down the exact purchase date through the university's purchasing system. However, I have a brand new RN31600 that's 100% under warranty but can't boot from the old disks, contrary to what tech support told me yesterday when I contacted them.
Well I did tell you that wouldn't work. :shock:
Message 34 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
mazerj wrote:
I think I'm 2 months out of warranty -- it'll day takes to track down the exact purchase date through the university's purchasing system. However, I have a brand new RN31600 that's 100% under warranty but can't boot from the old disks, contrary to what tech support told me yesterday when I contacted them.
Well I did tell you that wouldn't work. :shock:

Hmmm.. yet, but netgear tech support and mdgm both said it would...
Message 35 of 43
StephenB
Guru

Not sure about L1 tech support, but mdgm almost certainly said you could migrate to another pro or ultra, and that Netgear support could assist you in migrating data to the RN316. That's what he's said several times to other posters. The RN300 (and all OS6 products) are very different from the OS4 firmware running on your ultra.

I think you should check the warranty status quickly as you can - if you registered it, then you might be able to get the data from netgear's support site.
Message 36 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

Unfortunately, there's no way to get the info until next week.. the person who can get in my business office is gone until then. In the mean time, I'll call tech support this afternoon and see if they are willing to help me do the migration since it's onto a brand new machine that's definitely under warranty.
Message 37 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Not sure about L1 tech support, but mdgm almost certainly said you could migrate to another pro or ultra, and that Netgear support could assist you in migrating data to the RN316. That's what he's said several times to other posters. The RN300 (and all OS6 products) are very different from the OS4 firmware running on your ultra.

I think you should check the warranty status quickly as you can - if you registered it, then you might be able to get the data from netgear's support site.

StephenB - I just got off the phone with support and they confirm what you said -- the 316 can NOT read drives formatted under Radiator4.2.x or boot from them. They have no idea what either tech support or mdgm were talking about yesterday. However, apparently I can pay $200 for their advanced data recovery service and they'll have a tech remote in and recover the data for me so I can copy it off. This seems to indicate OS6 can read ext volumes, but they won't tell me how to do it.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here -- I'm thinking there is an ext4 module available or installable, but it's not loaded by default. With a loadable ext4 module I could boot OS6, insert 5/6 of the old drives and then use mdadm to mount the old data (only need 5 of the 6 since its RAID5). And it certainly sounds like I'm not the only person who's had something like a PSU failure on a 4.2.x machine leaving the data nominally intact, but inaccessible..
Message 38 of 43
StephenB
Guru

I don't know the process exactly is. You need to get the NAS to boot somehow (perhaps installing on a scratch disk?), and then manually mount the others (perhaps inserting all but one into the chassis?) ext support is built into the RN316 kernel, so reading the disks isn't a problem.

Once mounted, my guess is that you'd need to copy the data somewhere else, reset everything and then restore the data.

You are correct in thinking that others have had dead ReadyNAS and wanted to migrate to OS6 systems. First I've heard that there is a charge for this service.
Message 39 of 43
mazerj
Aspirant

StephenB - I think I'm on the right track now, I booted to OS6 off a spare drive and now I should be able to ssh in and use LVM/mdadm to manually assemble the raid volume. I just need to poke around to figure out the partitions that contain data (vs os) and the right mdadm incantation (I'm a bit rusty there - that's why I'm BUYING nas's and not building them myself anymore..). This would work if the drives weren't redundant since I'd need to get all 6 in there...
Message 40 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

mazerj wrote:

StephenB - I just got off the phone with support and they confirm what you said -- the 316 can NOT read drives formatted under Radiator4.2.x or boot from them. They have no idea what either tech support or mdgm were talking about yesterday.

Well the tech you spoke to today is wrong if he said that. It can boot from it if the array is fine. An x86_64 system (i.e. 300 series, 516 or 716x) can boot 4.2.x. Our head dev has put code in the firmware to handle this situation. We have an internal article on this.

Of course if there is a problem with the array or an issue on the OS partition this will remain when you move the disks across and the NAS will fail to boot.

Do you know what version of OS6 is on the 316?
mazerj wrote:

However, apparently I can pay $200 for their advanced data recovery service and they'll have a tech remote in and recover the data for me so I can copy it off. This seems to indicate OS6 can read ext volumes, but they won't tell me how to do it.

A tech remotely logging in is only necessary if there is a problem with the array and OS6 thus can't boot 4.2.x.
mazerj wrote:
StephenB - I think I'm on the right track now, I booted to OS6 off a spare drive and now I should be able to ssh in and use LVM/mdadm to manually assemble the raid volume. I just need to poke around to figure out the partitions that contain data (vs os) and the right mdadm incantation (I'm a bit rusty there - that's why I'm BUYING nas's and not building them myself anymore..). This would work if the drives weren't redundant since I'd need to get all 6 in there...

If you want to do it that way, you need to do some things e.g.

# systemctl stop readynasd
# systemctl disable readynasd

To make sure the NAS does nothing with the disks from the 4.2.x box. If you break things trying to recover data yourself we may deny support.
Message 41 of 43
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
Well the tech you spoke to today is wrong if he said that. It can boot from it if the array is fine. An x86_64 system (i.e. 300 series, 516 or 716x) can boot 4.2.x. Our head dev has put code in the firmware to handle this situation. We have an internal article on this.
That is good to know. Once booted, is there a way to migrate to OS6 w/o a reset? If not, would firmware updates work? What firmware version in the NAS is needed to get this feature?

Just wondering the limits on this.
Message 42 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

StephenB wrote:
Once booted, is there a way to migrate to OS6 w/o a reset?

No, for several reasons.
StephenB wrote:

If not, would firmware updates work? What firmware version in the NAS is needed to get this feature?

This is purely to make it possible for users to recover data without assistance from support if the problem is simply a failed chassis. Can't remember which firmware version this came in at, but there have been improvements to this feature over time.
Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements