× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNP BE corrupt? Jedi help needed - Case# 17321469

BrakinDeep
Aspirant

RNP BE corrupt? Jedi help needed - Case# 17321469

I recently upgraded to 4.2.19 on my RNP BE little over 2 month or so ago. No issues were noticed. Shortly after the upgrade, I pulled my external backup drive off. This was off for 1 month (wasn't suppose to be but circumstance called for it) so all my backup jobs were failing each week since that was the target location. Around 3 weeks ago, one of the WD20EADS failed. Sent in for RMA and received a WD20EARX. I know it isn't on the compat list but the EADS are no longer available so put it in. Rebuilt with no issues and things were running fine until last week. I replaced my external backup drive and logged into FrontView to update the backup jobs to only have them all disappear once I accepted the change to the job. Subsequently, my shares also disappeared. I attempted to reboot via FrontView but nothing would happen. Upon selecting the reboot, hit Apply; it would jump to the main home page. No option within FrontView would work properly now. I initiated the shutdown via front panel button. It shutdown gracefully.
Powering the RNP back on, the shares were back but the backup jobs were gone. So I attempted to create a new job, nothing was saved and the shares disappeared again. Power it down and up again. I went to the logs to only see that there was nothing listed, it was blank. I never cleared anything. I attempted to pull all logs to only have that process fail and a bad page showed up. Reboot or shutdown commands still don't work within RNP. Going to the shares, they are gone. Shutdown/power on via front panel, log in and shares are there and accessible. So I left it alone until I get time to do some proper troubleshooting and post on the forum.
System Error: Contact Customer Support

Needless to say, Jedi I come to you for next steps.

Edit:
updated subject with case #
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RNP BE corrupt? Jedi help needed

If you get a drive as an RMA replacement that isn't on the compatibility list then you should go and buy a drive from the compatibility list. I know it's not nice to have to go and buy another drive, but NetGear can't be expected to provide support when you encounter issues that may be due to a compatibility issue with the drive not on the compatibility list. Many don't want to use RMA disks in a primary storage system anyway as RMA disks are refurbished.

Your profile indicates you also have 2GB RAM installed. 3rd party RAM upgrades are not supported. See http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=83

Using 3rd party memory and a drive not from the compatibility list are two reasons NetGear may deny support.

I would suggest you open a tech support case (http://www.readynas.com/support) and see what they have to say. Please edit the thread title (i.e. subject of first post in thread) to include your case number.
Message 2 of 12
Thomas_xh1
Tutor

After you reset it to telnet mode, please forward the port 23 to internet, and PM the IP address.

and please contact Netgear support engineer to create a support case to trace it.
Message 3 of 12
BrakinDeep
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
If you get a drive as an RMA replacement that isn't on the compatibility list then you should go and buy a drive from the compatibility list. I know it's not nice to have to go and buy another drive, but NetGear can't be expected to provide support when you encounter issues that may be due to a compatibility issue with the drive not on the compatibility list. Many don't want to use RMA disks in a primary storage system anyway as RMA disks are refurbished.

Your profile indicates you also have 2GB RAM installed. 3rd RAM upgrades are not supported. See http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=83

Using 3rd party memory and a drive not from the compatibility list are two reasons NetGear may deny support.

I would suggest you open a tech support case (http://www.readynas.com/support) and see what they have to say. Please edit the thread title (i.e. subject of first post in thread) to include your case number.

mdgm,
No memory upgrades were performed on the RNP, it is as stock as it comes. As for the drive, I was already looking to replace the drive but I would not expect a RNP to fail as such due to a possible drive compatibility. Hence why I am asking for assistance on the issue.
Message 4 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well your profile says you have 2GB RAM, despite the fact Pro BE units came with 1GB RAM.

An incompatible drive can cause problems. A drive not on the list may/may not have been tested and if there are compatibility issues, support may not be aware of what issues there are with the drive. Whether or not compatibility issues with the drive caused this problem or are likely to have caused the problem, it is grounds that NetGear can use to deny support. The warning on the http://www.readynas.com/hard_disk_hcl page is quite clear:
NetGear wrote:

WARNING: Be sure to use only drives recommended in the compatibility list, otherwise, NETGEAR Technical Support can and will deny support.

I would suggest you follow Thomas-xh's advice and his offer to help. You can put the NAS in telnet/tech support mode using the boot menu.
Message 5 of 12
BrakinDeep
Aspirant

For the memory, it is a typo. There are no additional DIMMs or replacement in there.
Message 6 of 12
BrakinDeep
Aspirant

It appears the system is not going into Tech Support mode successfully. Simply, it is not taking an IP. Checking within my router, I see an IP assigned to a Netgear MAC address but the RNP is not accepting it. I have the RNP connected via a GS108T, I removed that from the equation and connected directly to router but no luck.
Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you can't see the NAS in RAIDar (http://www.readynas.com/downloads)?
Message 8 of 12
BrakinDeep
Aspirant

Here is the sequence of activities taken to prepare it for Thomas-xh to get into RNP. Each attempt below, the RNP was shutdown completely and started into Boot Menu.

Attempt 1:
Booting RNP into Tech Support mode - LACP cables connected via GS108T - Router not checked for lease - all drives in - screen shows;
DebugMode[50823]
Attempt 2:
Booting RNP into Tech Support mode - single cable via GS108T different port no in LACP - Router not checked for lease - all drives in - screen shows;
DebugMode[50823]
Attempt 3:
Booting RNP into Tech Support mode - single cable via direct connect to router - Router checked for lease (MAC recorded) - all drives in - screen shows;
DebugMode[50823]
Attempt 4:
Router rebooted
Booting RNP into Tech Support mode - single cable via direct connect to router - Router checked for lease (MAC recorded) - RMA drive pulled - screen shows;
DebugMode[50823]
Attempt 5:
Booting RNP into Tech Support mode - single cable via direct connect to router - Router checked for lease (MAC recorded) - All drives pulled - screen shows;
DebugMode[50823]
Attempt 6:
Booting RNP into Tech Support mode - single cable via GS108T (non-LACP) - Router checked for lease (MAC recorded) - All drives pulled - screen shows;
DebugMode[50823]

So I am not sure of next steps here. Waiting for Thomas-xh or NetGear support engineer at this point.
Message 9 of 12
BrakinDeep
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
So you can't see the NAS in RAIDar (http://www.readynas.com/downloads)?

I do not see it when booted into Tech Support mode. I booted it in normal mode and it comes up with IP. Note that it is booting with no LACP grouping but direct to router still. So completely by-passing GS-108T switch.

Going to try removing the assigned DHCP I have for the RNP. Not sure if that could be causing any problems as I see a fresh IP being assigned in router when booting into Tech mode, just the RNP isn't accepting it/keeping it.
Message 10 of 12
BrakinDeep
Aspirant

I stand corrected.
I do not have a Static DHCP set for the RNP. The IP it has when booting in normal mode is statically set on RNP.
Message 11 of 12
BrakinDeep
Aspirant

I finally got home from work and to my surprise the RNP finally took the IP. Boy did that take a long time.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements