× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RR4360X Apache2 Error

dallis11
Aspirant

RR4360X Apache2 Error

Hello - I'm getting this error below and trying if I need to increase the maxfile open setting?  I have no GUI access currently and when I ssh in this message is flooding the terminal. Is there a way to fix this live without a reboot?   Thanks a lot.

"apache2[27985]: [emerg] (23)Too many open files in system: Couldn't create pollset in child; check system or user limits"

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@dallis11 wrote:

Hello - I'm getting this error below and trying if I need to increase the maxfile open setting?  I have no GUI access currently and when I ssh in this message is flooding the terminal. Is there a way to fix this live without a reboot?   Thanks a lot.

"apache2[27985]: [emerg] (23)Too many open files in system: Couldn't create pollset in child; check system or user limits"

Can you restart the NAS from ssh?

Message 2 of 8
dallis11
Aspirant

Yes, that was my thought but this has to be scheduled with my users.  I would probably do it with a curl post for a more graceful shutdown.. bit concerned doing it via SSH and backups running. So a reboot will do a flush I take it? Can the maxfile open setting be increased? I see much documentation on it.  I'm a Linux admin so quite comfortable from the command prompt.  My user env is all Linux btw as far as file access via NFS only .

Message 3 of 8
dallis11
Aspirant

I would add that everything seems to be fine as far as NAS access other than http gui access at the moment to the server admin setup. Concerned though that the verbose logging may fill up the small OS partition possibiy until I can do a reboot.

Message 4 of 8
mdgm
Virtuoso

You could try

# systemctl restart apache2

You do want to see why you are getting the error. It may be easiest to identify this after restarting the service and keeping an eye on things.

Using the journalctl command you can review the logs for error messages related to apache.

To view the last 5000 lines relating to the apache2 service you could do e.g.

# journalctl -an5000 -u apache2.service

Message 5 of 8
dallis11
Aspirant

Tried the systemctl command:

systemctl restart apache2

Seemed to just ignore it.  Still just an error flood:  seeing this when I tried the systemctl status:

Jan 14 14:09:49 tardis apache2[21572]: [emerg] (23)Too many open files in system: Couldn't create pollset in child; check system or user limits
Jan 14 14:09:50 tardis apache2[21573]: [crit] (23)Too many open files in system: privsep_worker_init: error creating socketpair

So- could I force a reboot with the curl push from Linux or will it not accept just like I'm seeing when trying via a browser via HTTP?  Can this be increased? on maxopen files?  How do I avoid in the future... I know this not a $1 mil. NetApp but still must be some mitigation.  Again, I'm a sys admin so I deal with Linux all day daily so I'm completely comfortable editing sys files to fix this.  Thanks!  appeciate the help.  I'm beyond warranty anyway I believe so I don't think ssh access is an issue.

Message 6 of 8
dallis11
Aspirant

A tail of the logs just shows these two lines repeating..

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@dallis11 wrote:

Tried the systemctl command:

systemctl restart apache2

Seemed to just ignore it.  Still just an error flood:  seeing this when I tried the systemctl status:

You are logged in as root?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements