× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RSYNC ENCRYPTED SPARSEBUNDLE

Radjin
Aspirant

RSYNC ENCRYPTED SPARSEBUNDLE

I have a very large media library, 13TB, and sync all my data between local and remote NAS units. Because the remote unit will no longer be in my direct control I want to encrypt the media library. The fastest way to do so is backup to an encrypted sparsbundle. When I rsync between the NAS units, can rsync move only the changed bits of the sparsebundle or does it have to move the whole thing with each change that is made on the local unit? 

Just looking for for an answer to the above, not for other backup options.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: RSYNC ENCRYPTED SPARSEBUNDLE

where is the encryption taking place, locally or remote?

if you are encrypting locally, the encrypted sparse bundle will most likely have completely different bits after every change. If so, then rsync will see it as all new data and essentially the whole thing will be transferred each time.

If you are encrypting remotely, then the encryption should be irrelevant to the rsync process, and it should only transfer it the bits that changed/added/removed.

the best thing is for you to try it on some smaller test content before your main content, that way you can see what performs best and experiment on data you don't care about.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: RSYNC ENCRYPTED SPARSEBUNDLE

where is the encryption taking place, locally or remote?

if you are encrypting locally, the encrypted sparse bundle will most likely have completely different bits after every change. If so, then rsync will see it as all new data and essentially the whole thing will be transferred each time.

If you are encrypting remotely, then the encryption should be irrelevant to the rsync process, and it should only transfer it the bits that changed/added/removed.

the best thing is for you to try it on some smaller test content before your main content, that way you can see what performs best and experiment on data you don't care about.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements