× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RSYNC ReadyNAS to ReadyNAS - Suddenly Stopped

berkojoe
Aspirant

RSYNC ReadyNAS to ReadyNAS - Suddenly Stopped

Please help.

I have been successfully (probably a year) backing up (via RSYNC) two ReadyNAS devices to each other in physically separate locations (one 6 bay PRO and another 4 bay Ultra.) It works great. No SSH (Ultra does not support). I just setup port forwarding to 873 on both sides and all good.

Both have the latest firmware (4.2.19) since it was released months ago.

About two weeks ago one I began getting RSYNC back-up errors from one device to the other... the reverse still works. Error log below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INCREMENTAL Backup started. Tue Apr 24 11:00:30 EDT 2012

Job: 001
Protocol: rsync
Source: berkowitz.go.dyndns.org::Data
Destination: [UncleJoe]//Data

rsync: getaddrinfo: berkowitz.go.dyndns.org 873: Name or service not known
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [Receiver=3.0.8]

Backup failed. Tue Apr 24 11:01:51 EDT 2012.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from remote source path berkowitz.go.dyndns.org::Data ==> /UncleJoe//Data due to unknown reason. Please see log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK-- so I verify the port is open an communicating well on both sides. I restart on both devices-- ok. I check IP Addresses as I am using DYNDNS - ok. I reload firmware on both sides--ok

Still having the same errors... any suggestions from the experts?

Thanks much - Joe
Message 1 of 9
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

we can reproduce this problem in one case, but restart the device, it can work normal.
so you can try to reset "rsync" button in System -> Service (enable->disable->enable),then reset "rsync" protocols in share, when the device error.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INCREMENTAL Backup started. Wed Apr 25 01:52:55 PDT 2012

Job: 5
Protocol: rsync
Source: [media]/
Destination: 10.40.0.165::1111

rsync: failed to connect to 10.40.0.165 (10.40.0.165): Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [sender=3.0.9]

Backup failed. Wed Apr 25 01:52:56 PDT 2012.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /media/ ==> 10.40.0.165::1111 due to unknown reason. Please see log.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 9
berkojoe
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.

I tried that-- still no luck... same error.

I also noticed that my ReadyDLNA media rescan was not updating so I updated to the latest release 1.0.24.3-- that worked but did not fix the RSYNC issue

Any other suggestions?
Message 3 of 9
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

this problem is caused by the wrong DNS server.
If the device is use static ip, make sure you set the right "Domain name server".
If the device is use dynamic ip, make sure the device get the right "Domain name server".
of course, make sure the device connect to the network.
Message 4 of 9
berkojoe
Aspirant

I was hoping Netgear techs are monitoring these forums to help resolve issues-- seems not. Too bad for me.

To resolve the RSYNC backup issue I deleted all backup jobs (that were kicking out errors) from one of the ReadyNAS devices and added the same set of backup jobs on the other READYNAS device (as a push.) In the end this is the same result and it works successfully.

Seems this issue become a cold case.
Message 5 of 9
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

we can not reproduce this problem. Can you help to take a test?
on your device which work unnormal, you set a job source:berkowitz.go.dyndns.org/Data, dest://data, backup fail.
In this case, edit this job source host, change "berkowitz.go.dyndns.org" to ip(you can get ip from ping), then what is the result about the backup?
Message 6 of 9
Willson
Aspirant

Great info and admirable links, i really appreciate your post keep up the good work. Awesome share indeed. I’ve been awaiting for this update.
Message 7 of 9
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

if you change the ip, the device is ok, let's go on test.
please check the configuration about DNS Settings(Network->Global Settings).
Is the value about "Domain name server" different from another device which work normal?
Message 8 of 9
MrAsker
Tutor

I had the same problem, rSync work from one NAS to the other, but not the other way around. Also for me it used to work to use rSync for Backup between the 2 NAS, but just suddenly stopped working. The errormessage was for me:
"rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [sender=3.0.9]"

Both NAS have the correct DNS server IP and it could do lookup of the hostname of "the other " NAS to the correct IP.
From the NAS:s I can SSH into "the other" NAS using IP and hostname.
The rSync port (873) is open in the FW on both sides. I can telnet using the both IP and hostname and the portnumber from both NAS to the other NAS.

What I did to solve it was to restart the rSynd Daemon on the failing server, twice. Not once, but twice in a row. That did the trick. For me at least.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements