× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RSYNC will not work

Castor
Aspirant

RSYNC will not work

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ with four 2 TB-disks.
The firmware is: RAIDiator 4.1.16 [1.00a043].

Activated file protocols are:
CIFS
NFS
FTP
HTTPS
RSYNC

When I try to create a backup job using RSYNC, the "Save" button is inactive.

And if I try to create a backup job at my other NAS (RN316), using RSYNC aimed at the ReadyNAS NV+,there is no communication.

I was hoping to set up a backup job to copy the essential files from NAS RN316 to ReadyNAS NV+, using Rsync.
The only way I can do this is by using FTP, which I do not want to use.

Why is it impossible to use Rsync on the ReadyNAS NV+?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RSYNC will not work

Rsync backup works between my RN526x and my NV+.  In my case the rsync backup jobs run on the NV+.

Is rsync enabled on the shares?  Where is the backup job running?  Are you using the IP address of the remote system or the hostname?

Message 2 of 5
Castor
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Rsync backup works between my RN526x and my NV+.  In my case the rsync backup jobs run on the NV+.

Is rsync enabled on the shares?  Where is the backup job running?  Are you using the IP address of the remote system or the hostname?

The following file protocols are enabled on both machines, and also for the shares I want to use:

CIFS
NSF
FTP
RSYNC

(HTTP/HTTPS is also enabled, to be used with a web browser, not for file transfer).

I want to run the backup job on my ReadyNAS 316, copying a certain share to NAS NV+.
The two machines are situated on the same local network.

The port used för RSYNC is 873.
Forwarding that port in the router to the IP adress of the NAS NV+ does not make any difference.  

The ReadyNAS 316 has its two NIC:s bonded, using "Adaptive Load Balancing".
I use IP adress for both machines.

I can begin setting up a backup job, using the RSYNC protocol *without assigning a port* and sucessfully click on "Test connection".
But I can naturally not save the backup job without assigning a port.
This was a bit confusing....

The backup job runs O.K. on the ReadyNAS 316 according to the log, identifing what files to copy or remove, as per a normal incremental backup.
However, nothing is actually performed on the NAS NV+ whatsoever during the very short time the backup job runs.

In this example, "Dummy file 1.txt" should be deleted from the NV+, and "Dummy file 2.txt" should be copied to the NV+. But nothing at all takes place on the NV+.

Read/write is activated on the "DIVERESE" share.

No separate password is set for the share.

What is wrong?

Backup Job Name: DIVERSE RSYNC
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: rsync
Backup Source: [DIVERSE]/
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/192.168.0.5::DIVERSE
Backup Start Time: Mon Nov 13 2017 15:41:31
Backup Finish Time: Mon Nov 13 2017 15:41:35
Backup Status: Success

sending incremental file list
deleting DIVERSE/RSYNCTEST/Dummy file 1.txt
DIVERSE/RSYNCTEST/Dummy file 2.txt

sent 69,395 bytes  received 2,955 bytes  20,671.43 bytes/sec
total size is 383,143,920  speedup is 5,295.70 

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You shouldn't need to forward ports if the two NAS are on the same network.

If you disconnect one of the ethernet cables on the RN316, does anything change?

From the log, it appears that the backup job is deleting DIVERSE/RSYNCTEST/Dummy file 1.txt.  You are saying that it isn't?

Message 4 of 5
Castor
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

You shouldn't need to forward ports if the two NAS are on the same network.

If you disconnect one of the ethernet cables on the RN316, does anything change?

From the log, it appears that the backup job is deleting DIVERSE/RSYNCTEST/Dummy file 1.txt.  You are saying that it isn't?

Nothing I tried made any difference. no action at all was taken on the NV+, despite the log content.

I also used port 873, which seems to be the default port for this protocol.

So I set upp the backup job at the NV+, instead of at the N316.

Rsync backup now works without any problems:-)

So it seems that the NV+ would not work when acting as "Rsync server", but as a "Rsync client".

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements