× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RSync Backup Local to remote fails

Tasneetpc
Aspirant

RSync Backup Local to remote fails

I have configured a Rsync to copy the local data to Remote  .Both are RN3312 models  and connected across the firewall.

Connectivity is OK and when I start the Job,  errors are thrown and it fails in the copying stage itself it seems

Backup Job Name: SPCPCN_to_PCDMZNAS
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: rsync
Backup Source: [Common]/APC
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/10.0.1.15::SPC-PCN
Backup Start Time: Mon Mar 23 2020 12:54:27
Backup Finish Time: Mon Mar 23 2020 12:55:05
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Failed to run rsync, return rc 10
'rsync' command returns rc=10

sending incremental file list
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(794) [sender=3.1.2]

Model: RN3220|ReadyNAS 3220 (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

The usual cause for this is not haviing Rsync write access enabled on the target.  The default is read-only.

The check done to verify the connection does not check that the share has write access, it only checks that the target is reachable.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The usual cause for this is not haviing Rsync write access enabled on the target.  The default is read-only.

The check done to verify the connection does not check that the share has write access, it only checks that the target is reachable.

Message 2 of 9
Tasneetpc
Aspirant

Read /Write access in the destination folder is given already .Refer the screenshot.

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Your screenshot is of the SMB access permissions, not Rsync.

Message 4 of 9
Tasneetpc
Aspirant

Hi,

Kindly let me know, how to set the write permission for Rsync.

Prince

Message 5 of 9
Tasneetpc
Aspirant

Hurray , I got it..

Message 6 of 9
Issovits
Aspirant

Hi,

I got some rsync problems with 6.10.3 on my NAS. The names i give my NAS-Systems are overwritten within 24 hours in Rsync so that the sync jobs won't work automatically. I got that problem on my RN104 for some time now but it only happens on connection issuses from the power supply. (got aware of it with an USV, still this is my beta tester and has aome other problems too) Now my RN 204 is also making this bad habbit within 24 hours after upgrading to 6.10.3.

Just don't upgrade to this Version if you have an Arm based NAS that works. I think there are more issues with this Version (what i could see in beta Forum). I hope Netgear is working on that Problem cause they haven't made an free beta-test with this software. I try going back to 6.10.2 until this is solved or Netgear gives some Information in the Forum for these Bugs.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless), RN20441D|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay 4x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Issovits wrote:

Now my RN 204 is also making this bad habit within 24 hours after upgrading to 6.10.3.

Just don't upgrade to this Version if you have an Arm based NAS that works. 

FWIW, rsync is working for me.  But I've always reserved the IP addresses in the router, and all my backup jobs use the IP address (not the hostname).  This practice goes back to the days when my main NAS was the sparc-based NV+.

So you might try switching over to using the IP address and see if that is more stable for you.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@Issovits wrote:

The names i give my NAS-Systems are overwritten within 24 hours in Rsync so that the sync jobs won't work automatically.

Can you explain this a little bit more?  Are you saying that the destination device on the backup job page is being changed, or that the actual name of the destination NAS is changing?  And to what is it changing?

While I only have one "sandbox" system running 6.10.3, I don't see that problem.  But mine is an Intel based NAS, and both of yours are ARM.  So, maybe, it's specific to the ARM products.  If it were just the 104, I'd say it might me a memory issue, since it has only 512M.  But the 204 has 2GB, which should be more than enough..

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements