× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RaidAR Cannot find ReadyNAS Duo v2

chimnysweep
Aspirant

RaidAR Cannot find ReadyNAS Duo v2

Hi,

Have a ReadyNAS Duo v2 that is no longer accessible thru Windows Explorer. Searching for it using RaidAR comes up blank and I can't ping it either.

I have tried rebooting system (LED lights all seem normal). Have changed ports on switch, changed network cable, and have even plugged ReadyNAS directly into PC, all with no luck.

I did have a router go out on me (an old Linksys WRG54). Replaced with a Netgear N150 I had laying around while waiting on a better router to arrive by mail.

Everything else on network is working, just can't access the ReadyNAS.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks,
Westley
Message 1 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

Is it a duo v2 or v1?
http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/

Do you know if you were using a static IP address for it or dhcp?

Do you have a backup?

If this all happened when you changed router it could be related to the network settings.

An OS reinstall resets the network settings to default dhcp and may help. It does not destroy data and also resets the password to the default which is password for the v2. First identify exactly which model you have then lookup the boot menu method for an OS reinstall. Don't do a factory default.
Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Did you lose access when you replaced the router? If so, the OS reinstall procedure suggested by vandermerwe will fix it. You do need to review the guide he linked in, as the procedure depends on the platform (and a lot of people think they have a v2 when they have really have a v1).
Message 3 of 9
chimnysweep
Aspirant

I am pretty sure it is a v2, but since I am not on site I am waiting for confirmation.

I'm pretty sure I had it set to a static IP, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I did full subnet scans on 192.168.99.x (our normal network), 192.168.1.x (the default network of the new router before being configured), and 192.168.168.x (the default network of the ReadyNAS with no DHCP). All three came back empty.

We do have a backup, so we are not dead in the water.

Once I get confirmation on the version I will post back.

Thanks,
Westley
Message 4 of 9
chimnysweep
Aspirant

Ok, turns out I was wrong. It is a V1 product.

Where do I find the instructions to do the OS reinstall for V1? Also, as a safety precaution, should I pull one of the hard drives out first?

Thanks,
Westley
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The procedure is on pages 15-16 of the v1 hardware manual here: http://www.readynas.com/download/docume ... 6Dec11.pdf You want to be careful not to do the factory reset, which would wipe everything (configuration and data). The reinstall should reset the NAS to use DHCP, and also reset the admin password to netgear1.

You might also want to check with RAIDar first, and see if it can find the NAS. It is a bit concerning that you couldn't reach the Duo with a direct connect. Did you try configuring the PC to use both a 192.168.168.x address and a 192.168.99.x address? Your linksys also used 192.168.99.x?

I wouldn't pull a disk drive myself, since you have a backup. Offline data recovery (by putting a disk into a PC and using linux reader) only works with disk 1, so that would be the disk to pull. If you do pull a disk, you will need to resync, since you are changing the contents of the OS partition.
Message 6 of 9
chimnysweep
Aspirant

Yep, changed the PC's network properties to match the different subnet's with no luck. The linksys router was using the 192.168.99.x subnet.

I will try the OS reinstall. It will be Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks,
Westley
Message 7 of 9
chimnysweep
Aspirant

Turns out the problem was a bad hard drive. Talking with NetGear tech support, these are the steps we did to be able to access the ReadyNAS again (this was done on a v1 device).

1) Removed both hard drives to see if ReadyNAS could be seen on network
2) Since this unit was configured as a RAID 1 (mirrored hard-drives) booted with only one hard drive installed. Started with drive one (which also happened to be the bad hard drive) and then tried drive two.
3) Once I was able to boot with at least one hard drive installed, I was able to access the log files which showed an increasing number of bad sectors on the failing hard drive.

Now all that is left is to get a new drive and let it resync.

Thanks to everyone who helped!
Westley
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

So the timing made it hard to diagnose, but the good news is that you haven't lost data.

I suggest that you make sure your backup is up to date. Also, you should configure email alerts - you would have received notifications as sectors started failing.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements