× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.4.1 and the problems from 6.4.0 are still there. #26090517

Ronbo02467
Follower

I've spent 10 days working with Support to resolve the back-up freesing the ReadyNAS probelm - their response:

"Your ReadyNAS is running at 60-80% capacity due to the local indexing casued by having SMB and AFP turned on for your shares. When you run the back-up job, it pushes the ReadyNAS over the top and causes the freeze. The ReadyNAS may not be the right ystem for your use"

This is for a rack-mounted business unit (2120) with only 579 GG of 3 TB used. the back-up job that freezes the ReadyNAS is run in the middle of the night when no one is using the readyNAS. It is hardly overstressed. Basically, what Netgear is saying is that:

- If you turn on either AFP or SMB, the ReadyNAS cannot handle it.Seriously.

- You bought a business-class ReadyNAS that cannot handle even minimal business usage.

So to prove out their theory, I turned off all files sharing protocols on all shares and then started up the back-up job, Within 5 minutes, the system frooze yet again and had to be powered off/on to re-start. Note that this is on the latest release 6.4.1.

Clearly, there is is major bug in the 6.4.1 firmware when moving large blocks of data. 

Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your 2120 v2 is a cost effective 1U rackmount solution.

Different workloads are suited to different NAS units. Your load is higher than what we would recommend for the 2120 v2.

The 3130 would have been a better fit for your use case. We've just released the 3138 which is a step up again from the 3130.

We can provide pre-sales advice on the best unit for different use cases. However if the wrong unit is chosen for a use case then it is likely issues will be encountered and there may be only so much that we can do to try to mitigate the problem.

I have split your post from https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/6-4-1-and-the-problems-from-6-4-0-are-still-the...

Message 2 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which brand and model USB disk are you using?

Support has suggested the deletion of the snapshots for your shares as something that can be tried.

A typical use case for the RN2120 would be e.g. for say holding backups. Using it as primary storage for about 20 users is not something we would recommend.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

A typical use case for the RN2120 would be e.g. for say holding backups. Using it as primary storage for about 20 users is not something we would recommend.

Still, it seems to me that a backup job running after hours shouldn't lock up.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements