× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RND4250V3(A) RND4450V3(A)

StephenB
Guru

I wish I could reply in French, but unfortunately I am limited to English.

@MickaelKail wrote:

Jusqu'à maintenant, après avoir passé des heures et des heures de recherche, je serai sur le modèle RAIDiator-Sparc-4.1.16. Je ne suis pas certain de cette référence et de plus, je n'arrive pas à l'installer.

This is the correct (and most recent) firmware for your ReadyNAS.

Can you provide more information on what your problem is?

Can you try using the RAIDar utility to find the ReadyNAS status? https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar  Any version will do for this - you should probably start with version 6.x

Can you log in to the NAS by browsing to http:/nas-ip-address/admin Use the actual IP address of course.

Message 1 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Hello and thank you for your answer,

No problem for an answer in English! Thank you Google translate.

Yes, RAIDar works perfectly and sees the NAS. All is OK except "corrupted root".

By cons, I can not log in with the IP address (which works with the address of my box Internet).

My concern is the procedure of reinstalling the firmware.

When I copy RAIDiator 4.1.16 with RaWrite32 Disk Image Tool to a USB flash drive, it does not work, error message.

If I decompress RAIDiator and copy it to a USB stick, I also have an error. I do not have to use the correct installation procedure.

In any case, a big thank you for your help. Cordially. Michel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour et merci pour votre réponse,

Aucun souci pour une réponse en anglais ! Merci Google translate.

Oui, RAIDar fonctionne parfaitement et voit le NAS. Tout est OK sauf "racine corrompue".

Par contre, je n'arrive pas à me loguer avec l'adresse IP (qui fonctionne avec l'adresse de ma box Internet).

Mon souci est la procédure de réinstallation du firmware.

Lorsque je copie RAIDiator 4.1.16 avec RaWrite32 Disk Image Tool sur une clé USB, cela ne focntionne pas, message d'erreur.

Si je décompresse RAIDiator et le copie ainsi sur une clé USB, j'ai également une erreur.

Je ne dois pas utiliser la bonne procédure d'installation.

En tous cas, un grand merci pour votre aide.

Cordialement.

Michel

Message 2 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@MickaelKail wrote:

Hello and thank you for your answer,

No problem for an answer in English! Thank you Google translate.

Yes, RAIDar works perfectly and sees the NAS. All is OK except "corrupted root".

By cons, I can not log in with the IP address (which works with the address of my box Internet).

My concern is the procedure of reinstalling the firmware.

You shouldn't be doing a USB recovery at all - that is the wrong fix. A USB recovery restores the flash memory in your ReadyNAS.  But your problem is with the OS partition on the disks - not the flash memory.

Try doing an OS reinstall using the ReadyNAS boot menu.  This is described on pages 23-24 of the hardware manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

This shouldn't affect your data.  It will do a partial reinstall of the OS partition on the disks.  It will also

• reset your network configuration to use DHCP
  • reset the NAS admin password to netgear1
Message 3 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. This may be the solution to my problem. Unavailable for about 2 hours, I will keep you informed of the rest of the afternoon. Thank you again for your answers and their speed. Cordially. Michel

Message 4 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

HELLO AGAIN, I have just tried to reinstall the operating system according to the procedure of the guide page 23 and 24, below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To perform an OS reinstall or factory reset:
1. Power off your system.
2. Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
3. As you continue to hold the Reset button, press and release the Power button.
4. When the name of the correct boot mode displays in the status display screen, release the
Reset button.
“OS reinstall” displays in the status display in 5 seconds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unfortunately it did not work and the following error message appeared: BAD FIRMWARE.

I wish it was the solution ...

What do you think ?

Thanking you again for your wise advice.

Sincerely

Michel

Message 5 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Hello again I found this on the Internet:

--------------------------------------------------

Have you tried a firmware reinstallation?Process:Reinstalling the systemThis page is not to the default .... Reset to the back of the chassis.Locate the reset pinhole.ReadyNAS Duo / NV / NV +: The hole is located next to the USB port on the back.Get a repaired and reversed trombone.After 5 seconds, you get the first flash of the operating system. Rely InstallAfter 30 seconds you will go to the second flash of the LED corresponding to the default setting.For reinstallation of the operating system, be sure to release it to the first flash (about 5 seconds). If you hold the pin down too long, the factory setting will be made. The installation system installed the operating system that is on the memory chip. Reinstalling the operating system will not erase the drives, but will reset the passwords.

--------------------------------------------------

In my previous post, I failed to mention that I waited 5 seconds.In the procedure above, there is another solution that would follow chronologically (factory setting). The text is not clear to me and seems to say that this last solution does not affect the data !!!Yet everything I've read so far says the opposite and the data would be lost.I can not lose my data.Thank you.Michel

Message 6 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

I have just read your last message. I take care of it immediately. Thank you

Message 7 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Here is the screenshot of RAIDar. The discs are no longer visible. But the message "root corrupted" turned into "bad disc detected"

Thanks again for all the time you spend helping me.

Message 8 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@MickaelKail wrote:

Here is the screenshot of RAIDar. The discs are no longer visible. But the message "root corrupted" turned into "bad disc detected"

Perhaps power down the NAS and test the disks in a Windows PC.  You can connect them with either SATA or a USB adapter/dock.

Use Lifeguard for Western Digital; Seatools for Seagate.

Message 9 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Hello,

The previous screen copy of RADar was made by removing the 4 hard drives as you suggested. With the hard drives inserted, here is the screen copy and the LEDs of the drives are green.

Having no 3.5-inch hard drive boxes to test each drive, I wanted to be sure to scan the drives before buying one.

Thank you so much.

Michel

Message 10 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@MickaelKail wrote:

The previous screen copy of RADar was made by removing the 4 hard drives as you suggested. With the hard drives inserted, here is the screen copy and the LEDs of the drives are green.

Sorry, I missed that.

RAIDar should have said "no disks" - not "bad disks".  Not sure if we are dealing with a poor translation in RAIDar or a problem with the ReadyNAS chassis.  Did you notice what was on the LCD screen of the NAS when the hard drives were removed?

@MickaelKail wrote:

After 5 seconds, you get the first flash of the operating system. Rely InstallAfter 30 seconds you will go to the second flash of the LED corresponding to the default setting.For reinstallation of the operating system, be sure to release it to the first flash (about 5 seconds). If you hold the pin down too long, the factory setting will be made. The installation system installed the operating system that is on the memory chip. Reinstalling the operating system will not erase the drives, but will reset the passwords.

Getting back to this.  As the manual I linked in states: “OS reinstall” displays in the status display in 5 seconds. “Factory Reset” displays 25 seconds later.

The factory reset will reformat the disks, so it is destructive.  The OS reinstall won't.

Your NV+ has an LCD status display, so you aren't only depending on the LED flashing - you'll also see the boot mode displayed on the LCD screen.  

If you didn't see the LCD change when you tried this before, perhaps try it again:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11 wrote:
  1. Power off your system.
  2. Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
  3. As you continue to hold the Reset button, press and release the Power button.
  4. When the name of the correct boot mode displays in the status display screen, release the
    Reset button.

“OS reinstall” displays in the status display in 5 seconds. “Factory Reset” displays 25
seconds later.

The disks do need to be installed when you do this.  Make sure you press and release the power button in step 3 - don't hold it.  It can be a bit tricky to keep holding the reset button down with the paper clip - especially when you are working from the front of the unit.   Also, the time might not be exactly 5 seconds.  It's safe to hold it longer than 5 (as long as you don't get too close to 30).

It might take a couple of tries.

@MickaelKail wrote:

Having no 3.5-inch hard drive boxes to test each drive, I wanted to be sure to scan the drives before buying one.

Ok.  But I think it would be good to test them.  One possibility is one or more of the disks have failed (even though RAIDar and the LEDs show them as ok).

Message 12 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Starting ReadyNas without disks, the LCD shows "BOOTING ... ERR: No disks" Starting with the 4 disks, the LCD shows "BOOTING ... ERR: Bad Firmware" After removing the disks one by one, the LCD shows "BOOTING ... Found Bad disk 1". then 2, 3 and 4. Discount 4 discs one by one hot. The message "BOOTING ... Found Bad disk ..." remains the same.

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@MickaelKail wrote:

Discount 4 discs one by one hot. 

Not sure what this means?

@MickaelKail wrote:

Starting with the 4 disks, the LCD shows "BOOTING ... ERR: Bad Firmware" After removing the disks one by one, the LCD shows "BOOTING ... Found Bad disk 1". then 2, 3 and 4. 

Note the right procedure here would be

1. boot with disks 2,3,4 in place (in their correct slots)
  2. boot with disks 1,3,4 in place
  3. boot with disks 1,2,4 in place
  4. boot with disks 1,2,3 in place

In all cases you'd manipulate the disks with the NAS turned off.

Overall, your results suggest that you do need to test the disks.  Data Recovery might be needed to extract the data (and the odds of that being successful will depend on the disk health).

If you have a spare disk (not part of the array), then you could try doing a factory install with just that disk in place.  Anything on it would be destroyed.  Note your model can't handle disks > 2 TB.  If that factory install works, then you'd want to try booting the system with that disk in slots 2, 3, and 4.  That will test the SATA interfaces in the chassis.

Message 14 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Hello,

Starting with disks 2,3 and 4: "ERR: BOOTING ... Bad Firmware"

Starting with disks 1, 3 and 4: "ERR: BOOTING ... Bad Firmware"

Starting with disks 1, 2 and 4: "ERR: BOOTING ... Bad Firmware"

Starting with disks 1, 2 and 3: "ERR: BOOTING ... Bad Firmware"

For the rest, not having a 5th disk and being in RAID 5, would not it be possible to use one of the 4 disks to do a system reset?

Afterwards, will the system keep my old data?

Cordially

Message 15 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

My disks are good 2 GB and worked perfectly before I made a bad handling of firmware update.

Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@MickaelKail wrote:

For the rest, not having a 5th disk and being in RAID 5, would not it be possible to use one of the 4 disks to do a system reset?

While you could potentially sacrifice one of the disks in the array to do a factory install, it is very risky to do that when you don't know the disk health or if the disks in the array are in sync.  You'd be better off using a disk that isn't part of the array.

How important is getting the data?

@MickaelKail wrote:

My disks are good 2 TB and worked perfectly before I made a bad handling of firmware update.

Can you provide some details on what you did?

Message 17 of 18
MickaelKail
Aspirant

Hello,

I come back late but I was away this weekend.

I was able to recover a 3.5 box and an old 3.5 drive to back up the NAS data.

Following this, I did a factory restore and updated the firmware with RAIDar.

And everything works perfectly.

A big big thank you for your help.

cordially

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements