× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re-autocreate Individual's Private Home Share

MightyGorilla
Aspirant

Re-autocreate Individual's Private Home Share

We have one user who was working with their private home share for a while without issue when it suddenly stopped allowing them to see it.
Not happy to have no idea about what happened, but I thought one of the easiest steps to fix might be to just copy her data out, trash her home directory, and let it recreate it with fresh permissions, then copy her stuff back. It DOES seem to recreate the computer account home share that is useless to me, but her actual user home folder DOESN'T get recreated.
Anyone run into this before?

Thanks,
Travis-

Model 2100
RAIDiator-x86 Version: 4.2.22
AD Integration Mode
Message 1 of 4
kossboss
Guide

Re: Re-autocreate Individual's Private Home Share

Havent seen this before. Samba takes care of what is seen during sharing, there is nothing that would stop that. Install rootssh (becareful dont delete anything as it will void warranty) look into /c/home/ and see if the users home directory is there along with the data

1) install rootssh
2) run putty ssh protocol and connect to ip or hostname of nas

go to where data is (dont do any "rm" commands, that removes stuff)
# cd /c

run an ls command to see the files (can run any or all of these)
# ls -l
# ls
# ls -lisah
# ls -lah

# cd /c/home
or if your already in c
# cd home

run
# pwd
to see where you are

use ls commands to list again

# ls

# cd USERNAME
or
# cd /c/home/USERNAME

see if data is there
with
ls commands
# ls
make sure its not so big as to over fill the drive when we copy it out
# du --max-depth 1 -h
or
# du -sh
or
# du -s
or
# du --max-depth
notice with -h its all in kilobytes

if data is there and you need to copy it out to another share (lets make a new share called backup123)

copy all data from that user to backup123

# cp -Rv /c/home/USERNAME /c/backup123/

Wait for it to finish and voila the data is now backed up

if you dont see the data in USERNAME home share or if USERNAME home share doesnt exist then you need to look into data recovery options or look into your previous backups
Message 2 of 4
MightyGorilla
Aspirant

Thanks for the step-by-step- I can look at the permissions in the shell now, but I still don't understand why this user can't access their home directory.
Now I've deleted this user's home share from an administrative mapped drive, confirmed it is completely gone via the shell,
and how do I get it to recreate it for this user?
The NAS box just auto-created these home shares the first time the particular user accessed it, but it won't auto-create a new one once the initial one has been trashed.
Is there some configuration somewhere that's keeping tabs on home directories that have already been created that I can remove this user's entry from?

Thanks 🙂
Message 3 of 4
MightyGorilla
Aspirant

Well, I just decided to recreate it manually and it's working fine, so I'm just going to write this off to general weirdness and go on.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements