× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Read Only problem

Andyhill
Aspirant

Read Only problem

Hi,

I have a RN102 on firmware 6.6.1 which backed up files which we worked from on a ReadyNAS Duo. The duo only had 1TB disks which are now full, so I did a backup to the RN102 with the idea of then using the data on the RN102 as that has 2TB drives. However even with all users and admin selected as full read/write privledges I cannot save over files opened on the RN102 unless I resave with a new file name. All folders are read only, I can uncheck the box but when i close and reopen they go back to Read only.

I assume this is because this is a backup file but is there anything I can do to stop this happening and use this?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Re: Read Only problem

Did you try using the default control on the file-access tab for the RN102 share?

What backup method did you use?

Message 2 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I used the backup tool in the control panel on the readynas.

I have tried resetting all the access to the default then re applying as all read/write

Message 3 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Andyhill wrote:

...I used the backup tool in the control panel on the readynas.

I am not sure what you mean by that.  If you set up a backup job, there are several protocol options (rsync, Windows SMB, etc).  Which one did you use?

@Andyhill wrote:

I have tried resetting all the access to the default then re applying as all read/write

Just do clarify - you did this by clicking on the default button on the file access screen for the share?

Message 4 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

Ah I see, I'm afraid I don't remember. And i deleted the backup job this morning.

Message 5 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Try using the default button again, and this time don't change any settings afterwards.

Message 6 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

I have pressed the default access button again but this hasnt changed anything. All folders are still read only.

The protocols on the shares tab for the folder of all my data is SMB, AFP, RSYNC. I dont know if this info is useful but noticed it is different from the 'Home folders' that is also on there

Message 7 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Is this problem with a home folder, a share, or both?

Message 8 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

A share folder.

I dont use the home folder

Message 9 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Andyhill wrote:

A share folder.

I dont use the home folder

Ok.  That's good actually.

Try clicking on "network access" and then SMB for the RN102 share, and check "allow anonymous access" if that is not set.  Then click on "file access" and click the "reset" button there.

Let us know if that helps.

Message 10 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

That hasnt made a difference

Message 11 of 23
StephenB
Guru

What is the owner/group of the share?

Message 12 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

The owner is 65534

Message 13 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Andyhill wrote:

The owner is 65534

That would be the UID for "nobody" on the Duo, but that UID is not assigned on the RN102.  Try changing the owner/group to admin/admin.

FWIW, I recommend changing all the owner/groups on the Duo shares to admin/admin to prevent this from happening again.

Message 14 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

Thanks I have tried that but still no change.

Message 15 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Andyhill wrote:

Thanks I have tried that but still no change.

Well, you could change the owner/group for all the files in the share with ssh.

Alternatively change the owner/group on the duo to admin/admin (making sure you check "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders..." and then click apply).  Then delete the RN102 share, and create a new one owned by admin/admin.  Finally create an rsync backup job to re-copy the data, and run it.

Message 16 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you seeing this problem just with some kinds of files or all files?

Message 17 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

It's with all the files

Message 18 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

I think I have sorted it... I hadnt restarted the drive after making any of the settings changes. Now i have restarted it it appears to be allowing files to be saved over.

Thanks for your help and assistance with this.

Message 19 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

Wishful thinking. Sometimes it saves. Sometimes it says 'document not saved' in excel for example, or when trying to move files into folders it will not do it. They have to be copied and pasted and then the new moved into folders and the originals then have to be deleted.

Message 20 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Are you comfortable enough with ssh to set the owner/group and permissions from the linux command line?

Message 21 of 23
Andyhill
Aspirant

Probably not but i've just downloaded putty and logged in.. does it involve much work, or a few simple commands?

Message 22 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Andyhill wrote:

Probably not but i've just downloaded putty and logged in.. does it involve much work, or a few simple commands?

You might look at the current owner/group and permissions first.

But assuming your data volume has the default name "data":

To reset the owner/group of every file/folder in sharename to admin/admin you'd enter chown -R admin:admin /data/sharename

To reset all files to 666 (everyone has full access) you'd use find /data/sharename -type f -exec chmod 666 {} \;

To reset all directories to 777 (full access) you'd use find /data/sharename -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;

If you only want the account owner to write to the files use 644 for the files and 755 for the directories.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements