× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadNAS 212 - Alert setup error "smtp server cannot be empty"

peterdeleu
Follower

ReadNAS 212 - Alert setup error "smtp server cannot be empty"

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure sending alerts from my NAS. I'm doing this with my Microsoft Account.

But after authenticating with my Microsoft Account I get the message that my smtp server cannot be empty and the field for filling it in is disabled.

How do I configure thei with my Microsoft Account.

See also screenshot.

Thanks for the help!

Peter

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6
baz4096
Aspirant

Re: ReadNAS 212 - Alert setup error "smtp server cannot be empty"

Firmware 6.10.3

I get the same issue, whether using my Google account or Microsoft account. Identical issue reported here, with the response "well it works for me"...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Firmware-6-10-2-cannot-configure-email-a...

I sign in with Google, go through the permissions wizard, return to the config page on my NAS and get an error message "SMTP Server cannot be empty" - this happens with both Google and Microsoft accounts.
Clicking "Apply and Send Message" just re-shows the same error. Clicking "Clear", refreshing the page and trying again also causes the same error.

I have previously had Email alerts working, by using a one-off password for my 2FA Google email, however this stopped working some time ago, I think due to changes by Google.

Both my Microsoft and Google accounts are secured by 2FA.

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or is this a bug that needs fixing? 

Model: RN31664D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Desktop Drive
Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@baz4096 wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or is this a bug that needs fixing? 

Well, you need to fill in the google smtp server, port, from field, and then check TLS.  You should be able to select gmail.com instead of custom.

But if you want to use custom for some reason, then

• set the server to smtp.gmail.com
  • set the port to 465
  • set the field to your full google email address
  • check TLS.

Message 3 of 6
baz4096
Aspirant

Those fields are disabled. There’s no way to edit them when you sign in with a google or Microsoft account. You can see in my and the OP’s screenshots, they’re greyed out.
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@baz4096 wrote:
Those fields are disabled. There’s no way to edit them when you sign in with a google or Microsoft account. You can see in my and the OP’s screenshots, they’re greyed out.

If you aren't running 6.10.3 firmware, try upgrading to that.

You can also try pressing "clear" to remove your current settings, and then enter the fields manually (starting with choosing "gmail.com" instead of custom).

Message 5 of 6
baz4096
Aspirant

As stated I'm on 6.10.3. In the end I set up a Application Specific Password at Googles' end and manually entered the details. I figured the "Sign in with Google" thing would save me from needing to figure out the specifics. Worth noting too that if you specify a sender address, it automatically gets added to the recipient list. I like my automated notifications to come from addresses like readynas@blah, so I can easily filter them, however my ReadyNas automatically bcc's the send from address and now I get duplicate copies. Works fine if the sender address is the same as the recipient.
Seems this page has a few annoying bugs in and could do with some attention from the devs.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements