× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadNAS DUO v2 keeps running setup

bozmanx
Aspirant

ReadNAS DUO v2 keeps running setup

I have had this NAS for a couple of mounths and have been having a werid issue. I powered it on and set it up and it worked fine for weeks. We had a power failure and when I restarted it the NAS wanted to run through the setup again. When I loaded the RAIDar it was testing the disk but found no issues. I was not able to connect to the share as per before and it apepared to have no data. Thinging that it was werid for a NAS to loose all its data when you it lost power (especiialy seeing that I have gone t othe expeince of installing teh second drive) I repeated the process but this time I shut the NAS down via the web console. Once again I had the same issue. Drives start up and test with a result of healthy but the data is gone and the admin web page wants me to run the configuration wizard again. Im not loosing data as this is more of a convience for accessing data and all data is keeped in another location as well but Im getting annoyed with the lengthy startup time of the NAS and the delays when I have to resyc the two drives. There is nothing obvious in the logs and In running the latest firmware 5.3.13. Any help would be appriciated as Im new to these NAS's.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadNAS DUO v2 keeps running setup

Sounds like a problem from a factory default with the secure erase option checked not being run to completion leaving the disks locked. In which case the fix is a software one. Opening up the unit won't help.

If this is the issue the fix is a quick and easy one.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@bozmanx wrote:

...I shut the NAS down via the web console. Once again I had the same issue. Drives start up and test with a result of healthy but the data is gone and the admin web page wants me to run the configuration wizard again. ...

It's not that uncommon for the RAID array to lose sync on a power cut (since you do lose any pending disk writes).  A UPS is the best way to prevent that.  But this second symptom is very unusual, and I have no explanation for it.

What disk drives are you using?

Message 2 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

Yeh it was real odd , if I gone loose data every restart I should just add the drive to my PC.

I had not written to the NAS for a couple of days, I tend to dump media on it to play from my TV.

Drives are WD 3TB red drivers, model number is WD30EFRX - 68AX9N0

Message 3 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

Its taken a bit of reading but I have found the boot menu process. its almost like when you set a boot menu t osay factory default that you need to set it back to normal after. The guy I bought it off said he erased all data and set it back to factory defaults. I am going t otry and change the boot mode to normalto see if this fixes the issue. Currnet when I power it on I get a very long wait until RAIDar can see the unit.

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@bozmanx wrote:

its almost like when you set a boot menu t osay factory default that you need to set it back to normal after. 

No.  The NAS boots in normal mode when you power it on.  You can override that for a particular boot using the boot menu - but that isn't "sticky", it only applies to that one boot.

Your problem isn't that, it's something else - most likely a hardware issue with the chassis.  You might also try testing the WDC Reds in a Windows PC using WDC's lifeguard software.

Message 5 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

Tried it with single disks , booted it configured it then shut it down.

When it booted it took ages before it was pingable or visable in RAIDar(about 30 minutes) now it says system starting up then it will switch to checking disks. It then comes on line as healthy. 

Is there a way to just blow it all away and start fresh like I just took it out of the box ? The logs show me nothing of what is happening. I feel like I need t oget into the OS to find out what is actually going on. Should I be able to ssh to the NAS once its booted sucessfully ? if so what port should I try ?

Im going t orun life guard over the disks later to make sure there good and boot the nas without any disks (I did it before but forgot the result).

Message 6 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

nas has just finished booting and RAIDar only has the option to setup the nas, its like its lost all my config. Is there any chance that the config is keep somewhere and requires a battery like the old school bios clock. Im going t oopen it anyway to see if it has one.

Message 7 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like a problem from a factory default with the secure erase option checked not being run to completion leaving the disks locked. In which case the fix is a software one. Opening up the unit won't help.

If this is the issue the fix is a quick and easy one.

Message 8 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

cool , thanks for the advise , do you have a link to the fix that you are refering to ?

There is a onboard battery so its gotta be assisting something, either retaining settings/config or used for frequence setting of the crystal (but I dont think they use them any more.

Message 9 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

the discs actually seam fine , I can load data on them and read it off , if I restart it wants me to set it all up again

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr's theory (a locked disk) is certainly possible, but if that were the situation then I think you wouldn't have been able to format them and transfer data in a PC either.  I'm wondering if something is going wrong at the end of the setup, so the system doesn't think the setup is complete.

You could try doing yet-another-setup, and power down.  Then look at what's on both disks in a Windows PC, using r-linux for windows ( http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/ )  You should see the OS partition as well as the empty data volume (just the default shares).  There might also be something useful in the logs at that point.

Another thought is that you could do a factory reset with only one disk in place.  There are 4 combinations you could try - disk 1 in slot 1, disk 1 in slot 2, disk 2 in slot 1 and disk 2 in slot 2.  Setup will be relatively quick since there is no RAID resync. 

Message 11 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

Thanks for the advise , 

I am currently rebuild the array , its been close to 10 hours so far but the sync is up to 93% (3TB drives).

I was surprised that when I clicked on download logs that I got a stack more inforamtion about the system then what was displayed on the screen. I trawlled the logs for any mention of a locked drive but couldnt see anything. There were some errors but Im not sure wht is normal and what is not (not a linux/unix guy but I have a mate who is) but I might get my mate to have a look at them. I thin kthe installing phase when for alot longer than it normally does. When the syn finishes I am going to put some data on it and reboot.

If that fails I will have a look at the drives and more than likely do a factory reset. 

Message 12 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

I ran a few more tests ,

I booted the nas and ran setup again , installed , synced , the whole process took over 12 hours to complete.

The boot up is very delayed and the nas is not pingable for about the first hour.

I jsut attempted the factory reset but it does not appear to work. I get the really long delayed boot (not as discribed in the factory reset process) but then it wants to go through the setup process again. I never get to see the factory seset button in RAIDar. After about an hour wait I end up with RAIDar online but it tells me the system is starting up. Im currently only booting with one drive so I dont have to sync this time but it still takes several hours to get to the stage where it shows me the dashboard. Fairly sure its gona be rinse and repeat.

Im happy to send my logs if anyone is interested in look at them. I get the feeling that its an issue in the firmware or the OS ?

Message 13 of 15
bozmanx
Aspirant

boots real quick with no disks, when I insest one RAIDar does not acknowledge that the disk has been added. 

I couldnt erase the disk in lifeguard but they sucessfully passed the quick  tests. Error was something about not being able to delete partitation 

Message 14 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The disks were locked. The symptoms you mentioned in your opening post are classic symptoms of this problem.

One can very quickly unlock them using hdparm. That's happened.

It should run setup once more, but afterwards when you reboot it it shouldn't do it again.

It'll do a few quick checks e.g. check disk health, then give you ten minutes to choose the RAID mode using RAIDar before making the choice for you.

The problem you've had is typically caused by an aborted secure erase (an option in RAIDar when doing a factory default). It could be aborted e.g. by unplugging the power in the middle of doing it. The disks are locked and then unlocked when the erase finishes. If the secure erase is not allowed to finish then the disks are not unlocked.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements