× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readnas Duo, upgraded to Nighthawk R7000 port forwarding

gggplaya
Aspirant

Readnas Duo, upgraded to Nighthawk R7000 port forwarding

For several years now, i've been using the rock solid Readynas duo with a Dlink DIR-655 router, it's served me well and i used port forwarding to access the http share and download files while traveling.

However, 2 months ago i bought a nighthawk R7000 wireless AC router to go along with my new computers, ipad and soon to be wireless AC cell phones. I've changed nothing on the readynas, i simply set the IP address on the router to static of the same IP and port forwarded 80 like i did on the dlink router, but for the life of me i can't get these two to play nicely. Accessing it from outside the network doesn't work.

From inside the network, if i type in the IP address of the readynas, it prompts me for a username and password, everything is working as it should. But accessing from outside the network, the router seems to cycle through several ports but directs everything to the readynas IP on port 80, however it doesn't pop up with the username/password and doesn't forward to my the file webpage.

[LAN access from remote] from 66.249.83.206:45765 to 192.168.1.50:80, Monday, Jan 12,2015 21:33:13
[LAN access from remote] from 66.249.83.194:42629 to 192.168.1.50:80, Monday, Jan 12,2015 21:32:28
[LAN access from remote] from 66.249.83.206:40453 to 192.168.1.50:80, Monday, Jan 12,2015 21:31:43
[LAN access from remote] from 66.249.83.194:40647 to 192.168.1.50:80, Monday, Jan 12,2015 21:30:58
[LAN access from remote] from 66.249.83.206:36870 to 192.168.1.50:80, Monday, Jan 12,2015 21:30:13

Quoted is a log from my router, 192.168.1.50:80 is the readynas, which looks correct, but the incoming ports don't appear to be correct.

Anyone have any good advice?
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readnas Duo, upgraded to Nighthawk R7000 port forwarding

Are you sure you configured the port forwarding correctly?

Did you forward just port 80 or also port 443 with your old router?
Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It is odd to forward so many ports to port 80. I suggest https (using the secondary https port feature of the NAS). then forward just the secondary port in the router to the same secondary port in the NAS.

Other services (ftp etc) need to be forwarded to different ports.

Were you connecting with the web browser when the log snippet above was taken?
Message 3 of 7
gggplaya
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Are you sure you configured the port forwarding correctly?

Did you forward just port 80 or also port 443 with your old router?

Yes, i have both port 80 and 443 ports forwarded to my readynas. Those are the only 2 i have set right now.

StephenB wrote:
It is odd to forward so many ports to port 80. I suggest https (using the secondary https port feature of the NAS). then forward just the secondary port in the router to the same secondary port in the NAS.

Other services (ftp etc) need to be forwarded to different ports.

Were you connecting with the web browser when the log snippet above was taken?

Yes, that's the thing, i don't know where all those port numbers are coming from. I'm using the browser in my cell phone which worked in the past with the dlink, i could try setting my phone as a hotspot and logging in via laptop web browser. I also, did try typing the IP address with :80 at the end to hard code the port, but those port numbers still keep showing up. I'm not sure what the deal is there with this router.
Message 4 of 7
gggplaya
Aspirant

Ok, i figured it out. After multiple reflashes of different firmwares and factory resets of the router. I started from scratch and made settings changes very direct and in precise order so there were no conflicts. The issue with this router is there's no hard reset, so you have to use the software button for factory reset. Something must have gotten screwed up during firmware upgrades the first time around, port forwarding didn't work on the initial firmware i guess, and carried over after i upgraded. Even though i thought i did a reset after the upgrade, it wasn't a full hard reset until i used the software button to do it. 😄

I was about to trade this router in, but it looks like all the high end wireless AC routers have problems with stability, software glitches and quirks like this. Most of them are using the same hardware as well. I guess it'll be a few years until the firmware is solid like my DIR-655 was.

--Thanks, for the help though.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

gggplaya wrote:
The issue with this router is there's no hard reset
There is a traditional paper-clip reset. Look to the left of the LAN ports at the rear.
Message 6 of 7
gggplaya
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
gggplaya wrote:
The issue with this router is there's no hard reset
There is a traditional paper-clip reset. Look to the left of the LAN ports at the rear.

That one doesn't do a hard reset, no matter what i try, 30-30-30, holding it down while plugging in power etc.... The values all remain the same, they don't clear, it's a soft reset. On my dlink DIR 655 i just had to hold it in for longer and it would hard reset, clear everything and restore to factory settings.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements