× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: macOS 10.13.6 Finder icon question mark

jimcocteau
Guide

Ready NAS 104 Network Name "?"

I recently updated to 6.10.1 and also Edited the Names of both my ReadyNAS 104 (all fine), I now see a Question Mark (? - NetworkName) in Finder Sidebar (Connected Servers). The APF looks fine / normal.

I am using macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

Is this a recognised issue?

Jim

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
Icewaterhot
NETGEAR Employee

Re: Ready NAS 104 Network Name "?"

Hi,

We have fixed this problem on 6.10.2. It will be released soon.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 24

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you using an underscore in the host names?

If so, try changing it to a dash (underscore isn't a legal character in hostnames).

Message 2 of 24
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi StephenB,

I was previously using _ in the Host Name, hence the name edit, now its legal.

I also have a Windows 10 Surface Pro, this seems to be fine.

Message 3 of 24
hmuessig
Luminary

I'm seeing the same issue - a "?" before the NAS name in the Mac finder. The NAS names are just upper and lower case letters and numbers.

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.1

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.15

Message 4 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Finder obviously is flagging the name. 

If you don't need AFP, then try disabling that in the NAS.  Or just ignore it.

Message 5 of 24
hmuessig
Luminary

Since I upgraded both the NAS and MAC OS at about the same time I'm not sure but my guess is that this is a Mojave (Mac) issue 'cause prior to Mojave things were fine.

I did a bit of poking around and don't see how to change the icon for the NAS in the finder.

Message 6 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried disabling AFP on the NAS?

Message 7 of 24
schumaku
Guru

The "?" does show up instead of a (Bonjour) propagated icon.

Message 8 of 24
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi All,

OS 6.10.1 FW uses a version of SMB wherein they are using fruit module that enhances compatibility with SMB on Apple SMB clients and makes it work better. However, the issue with "?" is because of the module  and if I got it right, they are now working to get this issue fixed but might be with the next release of FW (No ETA) but this should not hinder the operation of the NAS.

Will try to get more information on this.

HTH

Regards

Message 9 of 24
lightsabre
Guide

macOS 10.13.6 Finder icon question mark

Golly, been away for a very long time but much preferred the older board format. Sometimes progress isn't.

Which brings me to the matter at hand...

Since 'upgrading' to firmware version 6.10.1, the Finder icon no longer is the normal network drive icon, but is a question mark, for the SMB connection. AFP is the normal icon.

Where is this controlled, and how does it get restored to the proper icon? Everything is functional, but there is clearly something different causing this issue.

Perhaps it will be resolved in the next firmware release?

Thanks.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 10 of 24
StephenB
Guru

I'm not a Mac user, but I believe it means that a non-existent icon is referenced in the NAS bonjour announcement.

I don't know of a work-around, but it does no damage.

Message 11 of 24
lightsabre
Guide

Thanks Stephen. Appreciated. Yes, it does no harm, it just looks incredibly ugly! And whereas it was fine before, it pooched in the latest update. Would somebody have messed that up in the Bonjour part of the NAS firmware update? if that is the case I hope they fix it in the next version. As I've just looked around I've discovered the methods to fix a missing/incorrect icon are too scary and beyond what I am willing to dig into.

Message 12 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@lightsabre wrote:

Would somebody have messed that up in the Bonjour part of the NAS firmware update?

Sounds like it.

Message 13 of 24
drlowrey
Aspirant

Marc,

It's been 6 weeks now. OS 6.10.1 still checks as the latest. Do you have an ETA yet?

Meanwhile is there any kind of a workaround, patch, hack, etc. that we can do?

BTW, I'm using ReadyNAS 424 different from the OP. Am I wrongly presuming your "fix" in a future release will work for me too?

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 14 of 24
furghella
Tutor

missing device icon on MacOS

I have had this issue for a while now, I thought the latest MacOS update (10.14.6) would solve it, but it didn't.

I can connect to my ReadyNas just fine, but in the Finder its icon is missing, I just get a question mark. See attachment.

I tried to add an icon as I would usually do on MacOS, but in this case I can't. Not sure if it's a MacOS or a ReadyNas OS issue.

Has anyone here seen this problem?

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 15 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Re: missing device icon on MacOS

In the Bonjour protocol NAS service announcement there is a value passed which was used by many NAS vendors and which made to show an Xserver icon. Appears Apple has removed it - appears they think there are no Xserver in the field anymore. So the change clearly happened on the MacOS side.

The "?" isn't indicating a critical error, it's just a fall-back icon set in place on the MacOS side. 

Message 16 of 24
drlowrey
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Are you using an underscore in the host names?

If so, try changing it to a dash (underscore isn't a legal character in hostnames).

I use a dash and still have the same problem. 

Message 17 of 24
drlowrey
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Have you tried disabling AFP on the NAS?

I disabled AFP which was showing a nice rich icon in Finder. No change to the SMB object, still an ugly, oversized question mark.

Message 18 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Well, @schumaku identified the cause earlier in the thread, and @Marc_V confirmed that it is on Netgear's bug list.  There's nothing more to be done until Netgear provides a fix.

Generally they don't pre-announce release dates (including start of a new public beta).

Message 19 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

Well, @schumaku identified the cause earlier in the thread,

Thank you Stephen, I think my suspicion was in fact wrong. Of course it's still possible to launch a Bonjour announcement with the Xserve icon in the text id - however, Netgear does not put one up. And no, the Xserve icon used is still available on the current MacOS builds.

Message 20 of 24
Zecaf
Guide

I do have the same problem for a while, latest firwmare ( 6.10.1) and macOS (10.14.6)

It may be related to the way the icon is stored for macOS. I'm pretty sure one user tried to customize it on his mac then removed it... and since then we have that question Mark. (we're using SMB & NFS only). Any idea? 😕 

Model: RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 21 of 24
slprice90
Aspirant

+1 for a question mark in my Finder window.  

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5

ReadyNAS RN626X - OS 6.10.1

It shows up on every computer connected to our network that way.  SMB has a "?", AFP has a normal icon. 

I checked with Apple support and he described a Finder question mark like this:

"The question mark it can’t locate that server that was previously recognized. More than likely it was once recognized, network refresh, or the device was kicked offline, then when the computer went to refresh that connection it couldn’t locate it and showed the ?"

As the Moderator described, this issue must be a bug on Netgear's end and hopefully will be addressed in the next FW update. 

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 22 of 24
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.1 breaks server Finder icon in macOS

We just upgraded our ReadyNAS 626 to the latest OS version 6.10.1

When the server rebooted and we reconnected our macs, the usual network server icon was gone in the finder as seen in these screengrabs:

All macs are running the latest version of macOS Mojave, though we see this same issue on older macs running Sierra.

Thanks!

Please advise on how to fix.

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 23 of 24
Icewaterhot
NETGEAR Employee

Hi,

We have fixed this problem on 6.10.2. It will be released soon.

Thanks!

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements