× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS 104 - Remove inactive volmes to use the disk #1,2,3,4

Marcus-Chambers
Initiate

Ready NAS 104 - Remove inactive volmes to use the disk #1,2,3,4

Hi,

I have just updated to the latest firmware (6.10.2) and now I cannot access any data.  the NAS says remove inactive volumes to use the disk #1,2,3,4

After noting that I cannot access any data, I looked at the log, and it spotted that it had the following warning:

"The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data."

Does anyone know how to recover this fully, or at least get it back to read only so I can copy the data off.

Why did it allow the firmware to update and restart if it had an issue. This should have issued a warning direct to me when clicking the upgrade firmware button 😞
I know I had an email when it originally failed, but that was lost among the many backup successful emails I get each day. There was not apparent problem, when I logged on to do the update 

Model: RN10443D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS 104 - Remove inactive volmes to use the disk #1,2,3,4

@Marcus-Chambers wrote:

I have just updated to the latest firmware (6.10.2) and now I cannot access any data.  the NAS says remove inactive volumes to use the disk #1,2,3,4

After noting that I cannot access any data, I looked at the log, and it spotted that it had the following warning:

"The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data."

Does anyone know how to recover this fully, or at least get it back to read only so I can copy the data off.

FWIW, Based on the posts here from other users, I don't think it was the firmware update itself that made your volume inactive.  Any reboot of the NAS would probably have done it.  The NAS generally goes read-only when it discovers corruption in the btrfs file system (e.g. the data volume), so you might not have been able to copy all the data even if you hadn't rebooted.

Paid support can probably remount the volume (via my.netgear.com), though it's likely you will need to execute a data recovery contract.   https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Message 2 of 9
Marcus-Chambers
Initiate

@StephenB 

Many thanks for the fast response.  I accept that the issue was unlikely to have been caused by the firmware update, however, I think the NAS should have had a clear warning when logging on that it had entered read only mode due to an issue.  If it had warned me when I did the firmware update, I would have copied data off first. 

I would hope Netgear wuld remount the volume free of charge, or advise how I can remount it myself, as their GUI should have made it clear there was a critical issue.  Even now, the overview reports the system as Healthy !!!

I have to say, I have lost a lot of faith in Netgear now. The only time I would expect to lose all my data is if 2 drives fail at the same time. 

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Marcus-Chambers wrote:

The only time I would expect to lose all my data is if 2 drives fail at the same time. 

There are other scenarios that will result in data loss for any NAS. 

While I take your point on expecting a clearer notification, the only way to protect against data loss is to regularly back up your data onto at least one other device.  Waiting for notification of a failure before making a backup isn't a good strategy.

Note I don't work for Netgear.

Message 4 of 9
Martin_readynas
Aspirant

Betreff: Ready NAS 104 - Remove inactive volmes to use the disk #1,2,3,4,3,4

Hi,

my device reports "Remove inactive volmes to use the disk #1,2,3,4,3,4" My configuration has two 4TB and two 8TB disks. How can I contact netgear support to help restore? Unfortunately for some reason it is not possible for me to register my device. After entering the serial number I get an error on the web page.

The problem came after firmware upgrade to 6.10.2. After facing the problem I have seen, that 6.10.1 mounted the data readonly before.

Anyway, since I am not able to register my device I currently can't create a support request in my ready nas.

Can somebody either tell me how to fix the issue or how to open a support case at netgear / register my device?

Thanks,

Martin

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Betreff: Ready NAS 104 - Remove inactive volmes to use the disk #1,2,3,4,3,4

@Martin_readynas wrote:

Anyway, since I am not able to register my device I currently can't create a support request in my ready nas.

Are you the original purchaser?  You can't register a used NAS (and Netgear won't provide support for a used NAS).

If you are the original purchaser, one of the mods should be able to assist on the registration issue ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V )

Message 6 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Betreff: Ready NAS 104 - Remove inactive volmes to use the disk #1,2,3,4,3,4

Hi Martin_readynas,

If you are the original purchaser, one of the mods should be able to assist on the registration issue ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V )

Yes, if you are the original purchaser of the NAS, we may be able to assist you with the registration issue. You may just send via private message the following information:

1. Serial Number of the device

2. Username of your MyNETGEAR account

3. Proof of purchase of the device

Regards,

Message 7 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Betreff: Ready NAS 104 - Remove inactive volmes to use the disk #1,2,3,4,3,4

Hi @Martin_readynas,

Do you still need assistance with this one? If you still need one, you may just send to me via private message the information that I requested so we can assist you on the registration issue.

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
Martin_readynas
Aspirant

Thanks for your offer to help, but the support has now fixed the registration issue.

For solving the mount issue I need to pay per incident...

Regards,

Martin

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements