× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS Can't Open Files Remotely

Hawkers
Aspirant

Ready NAS Can't Open Files Remotely

ReadyNAS 312, 2 2TB Toshiba HDD; Nighthawk N6900 Router

I'm running into a strange issue with remote file access. I can see and open/download etc. my files from my LAN via my MacBook Pro... Also, can log on to LAN with my iOS devices and can view, download etc. my files with no problem. But, when on another network, cellular or otherwise, I can log in to the NAS, then open up the Folder structure (albeit very slow to get to the root folder with my files initially), then can go to and see the folder structure of multiple subfolders, but, I cannot view the individual files. When clicked or tapped on, they show the file, file name as if it's loading, but the line with the blue progress indicator, never moves and the file is never viewable. Using Firmware 6.9.5. See attachment for example of iOS screen. Help please?! Don't know what to do and am somewhat of a novice at this... Thanks!

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hawkers @jbuchal @StehpenT 

Seems the DNS was pointing to the wrong/older io servers caused the issue. IT has fixed it. Please try again.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Hawkers

Welcome to the Community!

It seems that the file is not being downloaded, how many files and sub folders are there?

Is this also happening when using the ReadyCloud portal? 

Regards

Message 2 of 13
Hawkers
Aspirant

Yes... again the portal works fine on the LAN from my MacBook or from any of my my other iOS devices. So I did a complete factory reset last night, thinking that a fresh start was needed, but to no avail... still, can see the folders, subfolders and files remotely, but can’t open/download the file. Attached is a pic of my folder setup on the NAS. In the documents and HDD folders are where I have the sub folders and files. To test after the reset I moved one sub folder with about a dozen PDF’s to the documents folder. No access except while on the LAN. The HDD folder is the backup of all my files and data which has dozens of nested folders and thousands of files. Again, no access remotely, cellular or otherwise through the portal, but on the LAN access is immediate. Thanks for any help....
Message 3 of 13
jbuchal
Tutor

Multiple users have been having this problem since this weekend.  I posed in the ReadyCloud group about this several times, but no one from the company seems to be paying attention.  Cloud service is useless if it cannot be relied upon.  

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 4 of 13
Hawkers
Aspirant

If that is the case, then it's time I move on to another NAS... can't have such reliability issues when I rely on this remotely. Thanks for your comment. Nice to know I'm not the only one though....

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Hawkers wrote:

If that is the case, then it's time I move on to another NAS... can't have such reliability issues when I rely on this remotely. Thanks for your comment. Nice to know I'm not the only one though....

The alternatives to ReadyCloud are straightforward to implement and free - so personally it's not a reason for me to switch to a different NAS. If all you want is remote file access, you can also use FTPS.

I've found the NAS itself to be very reliable.  My decision to abandon the Netgear VPN was made years ago (back when it was ReadyNAS Remote).

Message 6 of 13
StehpenT
Star

Hi StephenB,

We are having issue dowloading share file using the Web Link from ReadyCloud.  Are you experiencing similar issue ?

Stephen

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@StehpenT wrote:

We are having issue dowloading share file using the Web Link from ReadyCloud.  Are you experiencing similar issue ?

Well, as I said above I don't use ReadyCloud. 

Message 8 of 13
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hawkers @jbuchal @StehpenT 

Seems the DNS was pointing to the wrong/older io servers caused the issue. IT has fixed it. Please try again.

Message 9 of 13
Hawkers
Aspirant

Stephen, thanks for your thoughts... Could you send a link or tell me the name of such FREE or otherwise straightforward? Would like to examine their usability especially for a Novice like my self... Thanks!

Message 10 of 13
Hawkers
Aspirant

No change in accessablilty for me... Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 13
Hawkers
Aspirant

Correction it is now working...at a snails pace but it is at least functioning... Thanks!

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Hawkers wrote:

Stephen, thanks for your thoughts... Could you send a link or tell me the name of such FREE or otherwise straightforward? Would like to examine their usability especially for a Novice like my self... Thanks!

OpenVPN is free, and many Nighthawk routers (and Orbi) have it built in.

ZeroTier is free, and can be installed on your NAS.

OwnCloud and NextCloud are essentially free (very small one-time cost for a ReadyNAS app from https://rnxtras.com/readynas-os6-x86 )

You can also use the built-in FTP server in the NAS (setting it up to require FTPS - which is encrypted).

Many of these options also need DDNS.  Nighthawks and Orbi have a built-in free DDNS option.  NoIP.com also offers a free DDNS service.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements