× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS Dou with dead LAN port

bloodscarab
Aspirant

Ready NAS Dou with dead LAN port

Currently have ReadyNAS Dou RND2120 with 2 1TB hard drives in RAID configuration.  Seems the LAN port died.  No blinky light on connection however when direct connect to PC the light will light up but still not able to access.  NAS sounds like it is doing the normal boot from sound but hard to tell since no way to directly connect.  My question is, if I buy a new NAS, say one of the 4 bays or something simular, will I be able to just pull the drives and stick in the new one without having to do any reformatting or anything like that?  If so, any suggestions on model?  This is for home network so not looking for one that is a couple grand.  I've seen stuff like using ReclaiMe but that looks to be a PITA.  If I have to go down that road I might look at a different option for network storage after recovery.  I can't seem to find any Dous right now.  Everything is backordered.

Model: RND2120|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS Dou with dead LAN port

@bloodscarab wrote:

I can't seem to find any Duos right now. 

The original Duo (says Duo on the front panel) was discontinued in 2011.  The Duo v2 (says Duo v2 on the front panel) was discontinued in 2013.  

It'd be helpful if you can confirm the model (esp. if it says something else on the front panel).

@bloodscarab wrote:

My question is, if I buy a new NAS, say one of the 4 bays or something simular, will I be able to just pull the drives and stick in the new one without having to do any reformatting or anything like that?  

You can't migrate to a new NAS, the platform hardware is very different (as well as the file system).  You'd have to get an old Duo, NV+, or Duo v2, NV+ v2 - depending on exactly what you have.

@bloodscarab wrote:

I've seen stuff like using ReclaiMe but that looks to be a PITA.  

Assuming you do have a Duo, and not something else...  Try R-linux for Windows.  That is free, and should be able to find and offload the files.  Connect disk 1 to the NAS with a USB adapter/dock or SATA - on the original Duo, one of the disks (almost always disk 2) won't work.

@bloodscarab wrote:

when direct connect to PC the light will light up but still not able to access.  

Try powering down, and removing the disks (labeling them by slot).  Then power up, and see if RAIDar can detect the NAS. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@bloodscarab wrote:

I can't seem to find any Duos right now. 

The original Duo (says Duo on the front panel) was discontinued in 2011.  The Duo v2 (says Duo v2 on the front panel) was discontinued in 2013.  

It'd be helpful if you can confirm the model (esp. if it says something else on the front panel).

@bloodscarab wrote:

My question is, if I buy a new NAS, say one of the 4 bays or something simular, will I be able to just pull the drives and stick in the new one without having to do any reformatting or anything like that?  

You can't migrate to a new NAS, the platform hardware is very different (as well as the file system).  You'd have to get an old Duo, NV+, or Duo v2, NV+ v2 - depending on exactly what you have.

@bloodscarab wrote:

I've seen stuff like using ReclaiMe but that looks to be a PITA.  

Assuming you do have a Duo, and not something else...  Try R-linux for Windows.  That is free, and should be able to find and offload the files.  Connect disk 1 to the NAS with a USB adapter/dock or SATA - on the original Duo, one of the disks (almost always disk 2) won't work.

@bloodscarab wrote:

when direct connect to PC the light will light up but still not able to access.  

Try powering down, and removing the disks (labeling them by slot).  Then power up, and see if RAIDar can detect the NAS. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 5
bloodscarab
Aspirant

Thank for the information.  It's the original with just Duo on the front.  You know it's funny, how time slips by.  Didn't realize that thing was that old...lol.  I'll definatly give the R-linux a shot.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@bloodscarab wrote:

You know it's funny, how time slips by.  Didn't realize that thing was that old...lol. 

Yeah.  FWIW, I have one that is still in service.  But I only use it as a secondary backup of my main NAS.  Basically I'm using it because it still works. 

A new NAS will be much faster, and would support much larger disks.  It'd also use SMB 3, not the deprecated SMB 1 in the old Duos.  But in general, NAS are expensive at the moment (low volume products combined with a chip shortage).  There are also some rumors that Netgear is dropping out of the NAS market.  No idea if that is true, but it is true that ReadyNAS are very hard to find right now.

Message 4 of 5
bloodscarab
Aspirant

Got my SATA to USB adapter and downloaded R-linux. Was acting a little flakey at first identifying the drive but it honestly could have been a PEBCAK error (Problem Exist Between Chair And Keyboard)..Smiley LOL  Was able to get to all the files and it looks like it kept the file folders and names unlike the other method I was looking at.  Found a Netgear NAS RN104 on ebay.  Hopefully it works fine and can get me by until I can get a little more permant solution set up and running.  Once I get all the files backed up will give the RN104 a try.  I'll also give the suggestion you made about using RAIDar without the drives and see if something comes of that.  Thanks again for your assistance.  Saved me a lot of costly trouble shooting that would have only resulted in the solution I was trying not working.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements