× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS NV+ Lock Up problems

dpainter
Aspirant

Ready NAS NV+ Lock Up problems

I have been working on setting up some backup jobs. Some are working and others seem to have a problem but the big issue is that I'll have Frontview open on the backup page and at some point during the day the NAS locks up and on the Frontview page the text "Internal Server Error" appears below the Frontview display. This problem first appeared on 9 May, 2008.

Since Frontview is locked up I can't reboot from Frontview. I have always used Frontview before when I want to shut the system down and don't know if the power button on the front will shut it down also. I looked at a lot of documentation but all I found was using it to turn the system on. I tried using it but nothing happened. Maybe it's supposed to shut down gracefully but with it locked up in Frontview it won't. Anyway, for now, my big issue is these lockups and having to unplug power to reboot the system.

My system and firmware are:

Infrant ReadyNAS NV+
serial: 000da2014f03
firmware: RAIDiator™ v3.01c1-p6 [1.00a034]
Memory: 1024 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

Questions are:

Is the Internal Server Error a known problem?

How can I stop these errors from occurring?

Is the front panel power button use documented anywhere? (aside from turning the system on)

I have since disabled all but one of the backup jobs and it hasn't locked up since.

Thanks
Dennis
Message 1 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

To power the unit down you need to hold the power button for five seconds you will see the drive leds start to flash, also if you have an NV+ it will display shutting down on the lcd screen.
As far as the lock up issue an you please download your logs and send them with attention to Dooku and a link to this thread

Message 2 of 28
dpainter
Aspirant

Logs sent.

About the power off using the front panel power button. I held it for 30 seconds but nothing. I looked in the following document for how to power off using the front panel button and found nothing.

NETGEAR ReadyNAS
User Guide

202-10320-01
v1.0
October 2007

If there is another document that describes using the front panel power button I would appreciate knowing what it is. You might want to pass this on to your documention people as it's possibly something that they would want to add to the User Guide. It is something a user would expect to be documented somewhere.

Hopefully your analysis of the logs will reveal the reason for it hanging.

thanks
Dennis
Message 3 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

Could you please try running the memory test at least twice
faq.php#Is_there_a_way_I_can_verify_if_my_memory_is_good%3F
Message 4 of 28
dpainter
Aspirant

Ran the memory test twice. Passed both times.

I would have to look to see what memory is in it but when I put the system in service I installed memory on your HCL.

FWIW I haven't had a lock up since I disabled all the backup jobs. My using the backup is newer and the lockup never occurred before. It may be a coincidence or not.
Message 5 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

Can you please download your logs and send them with attention to Dooku and a link to this thread

Message 6 of 28
dpainter
Aspirant

I sent the logs but Frontview never came back after clicking send.

Let me know if they didn't show up and I'll redo.

Thanks
Message 7 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

Logs came in let me analyze them and I will get back to you.
Message 8 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

Could you please try unplugging all usb devices and see if the unit runs more stable.
Message 9 of 28
dpainter
Aspirant

I actually unplugged all the USB disks when I disabled the backups. No lockups since then. Although I did 2 things at once it's hard to say which might be an issue.

I am suspecting the USB disks although I would hope we don't have a very narrow choice with them. The HCL has very few listed but I wonder if that's just because there are few with issues.

So they are unplugged and the system seems more stable.
Message 10 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

It was most likely the usb drive, is the ups usb still plugged in?
Message 11 of 28
dpainter
Aspirant

Yes, the UPS is still plugged into the USB port on the system.

I'm a bit nervous about unplugging it but can do it as long as I'm nearby in case of a power failure. I guess for a long term test I would need to change some of the system parameters to avoid data loss in case of a power failure.

Do you want the UPS unplugged?
Message 12 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

No I was making sure you did not unplug this means the drive is the likely issue, try connecting the usb drive back up and see if the unit locks up again.
Message 13 of 28
dpainter
Aspirant

Ok, plugged it back in but my experience indicates it won't lockup immediately.

I would suggest leave it plugged in but not accessed for backups for the next 24 hours. If there is no lockup during that time then I would initiate a single backup job and see how that goes.

As far as compatible USB drives there are only 9 listed on the HCL as compatible and one as incompatible. Surely there have been more than that tested.
Message 14 of 28
dpainter
Aspirant

Well it's morning here and the system doesn't respond to Frontview and shares are not accessible. What is different is that I had left Frontview open and the browser did not have the Internal Server Error displayed. I don't read too much into that though.

The system is not responsive to power button shutdown.

RAIDar does find the system.

The USB drive I attached is a WD1000H1CS-00

USB drives are so ubiquitous I would think the Ready NAS NV+ would work with mainstream units.

What do you suggest now?
Message 15 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

I would suggest to scan the usb drive on a pc with manufacturers diagnostic tools as it seems to be the source of the issue.
Message 16 of 28
xenophon1
Aspirant

I suspect that my troubles are related, so here goes:

Today my UPS (APC RS500) failed, and I replaced it with a non-USB older model. The NV's back USB port had the RS500's cable plugged in, but the end going to the RS500 (RJ41 jack) was unconnected.

A few hours later, the NV (running 4.1.4) completely froze - no response to RAIDAR (current version for Mac OSX) or even pressing the front power button.

I guess I'll be unplugging it next (luckily I have full journaling enabled).

It's a serious bug, though - a complete system freeze when a stray USB>UPC cable is attached with nothing at the other end.

Take care.

Xen
Message 17 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

Can you please download the logs and send them with attention to Dooku and a link to this thread.

I will try to see what caused the lockup.

Message 18 of 28
xenophon1
Aspirant

Thank you. Done that.

Xen
Message 19 of 28
Balders1
Aspirant

For info, I also get this on two different NV+ when leaving a USB cable connected with nothing on the other end (e.g. an iPod USB cable). Didn't happen prior to 4.1.4 but has happened a number of times on both boxes since upgrading.
Message 20 of 28
Dooku1
Aspirant

Balders wrote:
For info, I also get this on two different NV+ when leaving a USB cable connected with nothing on the other end (e.g. an iPod USB cable). Didn't happen prior to 4.1.4 but has happened a number of times on both boxes since upgrading.

Very odd, as there is a usb cable for the iphone plugged into my nas right now with nothing on the other side and it is running just fine and i am also running 4.1.4 :?
Message 21 of 28
praetorian
Aspirant

I have the latest firm ware and Radar and UPS attached. I have had the same lock ups all of a sudden....I will upload my logs. The device will be come not visible to the net work and unresponsive to the power button... In addition when I attempt to scan the FS it will not proceed past 1.4%

I have unpluged my ups.

Please help!
Message 22 of 28
sjuul
Aspirant

Since I've bought a new external usb-disk, I have the same issue, using the 4.1.5-T37 Raidiator. So far I've had my NV+ freeze twice, both times it was during a front-button backup job to an external usb-disk (this model: http://www.informatique.nl/130821/antec ... x-100.html). Before I got the external usb-disk, the NV+ had never locked up.
Message 23 of 28
ax_74
Aspirant

I have been reading this thread about usb drives locking up the NV+. I tried connecting one to mine yesterday and had the same results. PWR button unresponsive. I had tried to use the backup button but it didn't like the file system on the drive. Later that night it locked. Any conclusion to this problem?
Message 24 of 28
sjuul
Aspirant

Since I upgraded to 4.1.6, the problem hasn't occurred any more.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements