× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS NV+ V2 - Three separate NAS Devices are displaying Device is Offline

Cartref
Aspirant

Ready NAS NV+ V2 - Three separate NAS Devices are displaying Device is Offline

Hi,

I have three ReadyNAS NV+ V2 devivces that are showin as "Device is Offline" when I try to access the web interface.  For convenience, I list the Host names:

• NAS-D2-63-7C   IP Add  192.168.0.51
  • NAS-D3-02-6C   IP Add  192.168.0.53
  • NAS-BE-BE-14   IP Add  192.168.0.55

I have another 4 ReadyNAS devices (2 * NV+ & 2 * NV+ V2) that have no issues.

I have had the  "Device is Offline", problem at three times before, one seemed to be fixed by a change in the host name (Netgear Support suggested as a long shot and had no idea why it worked), the other two were on 7C above (after it recovered it from a failed power supply and then did a factory reset) and one of the (currently) fixed devices.

I have a home network, hosted via Windows SBS 2011.  All network connections are wired.

Of the above three devices, 6C has been outstanding the longest and cannot be accessed by either the web interface or via Windows Explorer on the network.  The other two devices only started received the erro in the past few days.

7C can be accessed via the browse option in RAIDar, but 6C & 14 cannot.

The two that cannot give the following separate error messges:

6c - The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship.

14 - You do not have permission to access \\192.168.0.55. Contact your administrator to request access.

&c can be accessed using its IP address, but 6C & 14 cannot.

Strangely ALL of the devices that cannot be accessed via other computers in the network, CAN be accessed via media players that I have attached to TV's around the house.

All devices have been given access to the server by the same security settings using Active Directory.

In looking at my Server today, I noticed in the Network section of the SBS Standard console on the Computer Tab, these three devices displayed the status "Unknown - No DNS Entry for this computer is available". The other four are all shown as being online with Either unable to Quey the information for this computer or Do not have permision to access the information for this computer. All devices were set up to point to the Server for its DNS settings and DNS Realm Name

Of course all devices are out or warranty, so Support will not be interested.

I have not seen a definitive response to this "Device is Offline" issue since it first occurred to me a number of years ago and I am wondering if anyone has seen such an answer.

Message 1 of 3
Cartref
Aspirant

Re: Ready NAS NV+ V2 - Three separate NAS Devices are displaying Device is Offline

Some very late breaking news that really supprises me.

I have upgrade my test bed PC and two laptops to Windows 10 (free version) and while I am having some minor issues with connectivity to varios network drives etc, there have been no major issues.

I an about to start testing the Windows 10 Enterprise version on my test bed PC.

However, when I just went onto it, I thought that I would try navigating to the impacted NAS devices and....

The Windows 10 PC was able to access all three devices and while I didn't recognise the high level folder structure, when I selected the "Browse Folders" folder, underneath that were the folders & files that I created.

Even 6c, which has locked out Windows 7 for many months.

No sure what the reasons are, just thought that I should post this update.

Message 2 of 3
Cartref
Aspirant

Re: Ready NAS NV+ V2 - Three separate NAS Devices are displaying Device is Offline

OK adding to the story until someone can shed some light.  For the devices that can no longer be reached by Explorer, because the domain authourity no longer seems to work, I have discovered that if I manualy change the login user to be the NAS Host name\Admin and use the admin password, I can log into the NAS device and access the data from whichever PC used these new credentials.

What I still cannot do is access the admin web page to reset the domain settings.

If I can do that then I may not have to do a factory reset and loos data on that NAS device, although now I can back it up

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements