× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS NV+ v1 stuck at boot - found bad disk

PaulEvans1
Aspirant

Ready NAS NV+ v1 stuck at boot - found bad disk

Hi. I have an NV+ which I purchased back in 2010, originally populated with 4 x 1.5 GB Seagates from the HCL. Mid last year one of the drives was showing high numbers of bad sectors, so replaced it with a 2GB WD from the HCL. The power supply failed and was replaced in Sep 14, and the NAS was updated in Nov 14 to firmware 4.1.14.

Over the past few weeks I had been getting slowly rising numbers of bad sectors on disc 1 but it was only at 36, on the last alert email, so nothing to panic about I thought.
Ordered a replacement disc which is on its way but not yet arrived. However, out of the blue - today it won't boot - stuck on "booting...found bad disk".

Tried getting it to skip the volume check, the NAS accepted the instruction to skip the volume check but still had the same result, i.e stuck on "booting...found bad disk".
Is there any way to find out which disc is bad other than replacing them one at a time and seeing which one cures the fault?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Evans
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS NV+ v1 stuck at boot - found bad disk

I think I'd try powering down and removing disk 1. Most likely that's the one.

Trying one at a time is the quickest option.
Message 2 of 4
PaulEvans1
Aspirant

Good advice. Pulled disc 1 and it booted straight away.
Thanks
Paul
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

One thing I like to do is have a spare on hand. It is painful to watch your disk degrade while the new disk is on its way.

If you don't have a current backup it'd be wise to make one. Another failure will destroy the volume.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements