× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready Nas Pro RNDP6310 to Ready Nas RN316 Disk Migration Help

Abrail1
Aspirant

Ready Nas Pro RNDP6310 to Ready Nas RN316 Disk Migration Help

Hi

I would like to Migrate by Disks from an old readynas Pro 6 RNDP6310 (bus edition) to a new Ready NAS which I will purchase once i'm sure it is feasible.

I think a RN316 but do not know for sure.

And if so how do you get the offical line on how to approach this task or even some support.

My current NAS RNDP6310, had the PSU replaced 4 months ago and then worked fine, however it has just failed to boot (Power and USB/ Back up status light Flash Slowly... No Boot).  The current NAS is 6 disk X raid 2, Redundant, under Radiator 4.2.30... but out of warranty. 

I would like to know if the RN316 is a suitable machine to buy to enable the disk migration but cannot seem to get this advice from Netgear or even their Platinum sellers, as the old NAS is no longer supported.

Yes I would also like to know if the old NAS can be fixed but thats a secondary issue to the migration. Prior to the latest fault i had planned to use the old nas for Backup but unless I can fix it this may not be possible

I have seen other posts of issues suggesting the migration may be possible ( eg readyNas Pro Business to Readynas 316 disk migration problem #26429545) but I cannot access support or the links in these posts to resolve this  but again I am not sure if any of these had a sucessful outcome.

Any Help would be much appreciated ( A home user so be gentle please)

Regards Brian

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6310|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ready Nas Pro RNDP6310 to Ready Nas RN316 Disk Migration Help

Yes, the RN316 is a x86 OS6 ReadyNAS so it is a suitable NAS to migrate the disks to. Other suitable models would include the RN516, RN526X, RN626X, RN528X and the RN628X. The procedure is described here: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.2 to ReadyNAS OS 6 (x86)

You will need somewhere to backup your data to.

Note this does assume the problem is just with the chassis, that the disks are fine and that the array, OS and volume are fine.

Message 2 of 14
Abrail1
Aspirant

WOW Thankyou for coming back so promptly. and the help in the instructions link.

If I may ask a follow on:  As I currently dont have another single backup device large enough as an alternate location (>4TB of data), I would like to understand the issues and limitations around  suitable backup locations and the backup and restore process, ....so would like to know if the proposed process below would work:

So following on from the instructions line "Once the data is made available using the ReadyNAS OS 6 device" ie on the RN316 in read only mode:-

1 Could I copy and paste the data across my LAN to other connected PC's piece meal (ie a bit to each PC) rather than as single back up to one location (presumably read only can be copied). and then..

2) Reconfigure the RN316 disks ( sop and remove physically) and wipe clean the disks transfered from my legacy machine (3x old 1Tb and 3 x newer 3TB disks) to 4x 3TB (Adding 1 new) by performing a factory default boot, before

3) copying back the data from the alternate location (multiple networked PCs in my case)   to the now 4 disc clean RN316 system. At which point the files would be full permision read/write etc

The reason i prefered to copy and paste is that I have no experince with the NAS Backup routine and if this depends on leaving links on the source disk to restore data as some back up system demand.  In my modified process the Source disk would be wiped.

If you could advise if my poposal is feasible I would appreciate this.

Regards Brian

Message 3 of 14
Abrail1
Aspirant

Sorry

Forgot to mention; the reseller who i will buy the new NAS from has offered his phone no if this helps or the need arises.

regards Brian

Mod Edit: Removed Reseller's name and phone number from post.

Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, the data can be backed up to wherever you like and you can do this however you like. You should take steps to verify that the backup or copy/paste has been done successfully to your satisfaction.

I wouldn't post contact details for someone publicly on the community. Far better to use a PM if it's absolutely necessary to share such info.

Message 5 of 14
Abrail1
Aspirant

Ok thanks for the answer.

and point noted on contact details.

Regards Brian

Message 6 of 14
Abrail1
Aspirant

HI

Just to complete the post.

I decided to replace the old power supply on the old RNDP6310 NAS and this restored its function so didnt need to undertake the disk migration process advised.

However i am now trying to copy via windows 10 file explorer the data from the RNDP6310 nas to the new RN316 nas, my intention being to operate the RN316 and use the older RNDP6310 as a backup store.

I am doing the copy piece meal ( 1 directory at a time); as if I copy say 200GB the discs become quite hot on the RNDP :

Disk 1SAMSUNG HD103UJ 931 GB , 36 C / 96 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 2Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 2794 GB , 45 C / 113 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 3SAMSUNG HD103UJ 931 GB , 37 C / 98 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 4SAMSUNG HD103UJ 931 GB , 35 C / 95 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 5Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 2794 GB , 44 C / 111 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 6Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 2794 GB , 42 C / 107 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Fan SYS932 RPM 
OK
Fan CPU1520 RPM OK
Temp SYS58 C / 136 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU28.5 C / 83 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK

Is this normal  to get hot. The manufacturers temp range is quote as to 60c for both the samsung and hitachi. ...or do i need to recalibrate the fan , to cool the discs . I can not ever remeber running this process and the user manual offers no guidance,though i have seen posts suggesting its useful to do this when migrating disks. 

My transfer speed via a gigbit ethernett home network is 77mbs .. is this ok or is their a faster way please?

Regards Brian

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

The way you are doing it will copy everything over the network to the PC, and then back to the RN316.

It's better to use the frontview backup jobs to copy data (you can set up one for each share).  Rsync is a good method.

The Hitachi's are running pretty hot, but are still in a safe range.  Do you recall what the temperatures were before you replaced the PSU?  You should try recalibrating the fan.

Message 8 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

My Hitachi's always run that hot when there is even a fairly light load.  My WD Reds run a good 10°C cooler.

Do you still have the stock fan?  I would expect the system fan to run a bit faster with that system temperature.  Do try a re-calibration and see if it helps.  And while it is doing that, see that it does spin up more than it is currently to be sure it can.  But you are in no current danger.

Have you considered moving to OS 6.x on the Pro?  Now that you have the 316, you may want to consider it.  Once the Pro is on the same OS as the 316, the disks can be swapped directly.  And having the same, much more up-to-date OS on both can just make life easier.

Message 9 of 14
Abrail1
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thanks for the quick response and help.

Prior to replacing the PSU in the RNDP6310 the temperatures were a little cooler when not under load perhaps 1 normally to 2 degress max. so I think the PSu did have a small impact The temperatures without load are below under no load. So I am relieved to hear the temps are perhaps warm but not excessive.

On the method copy or backup; I choose copy as i dont understand what netgear backup will do fully. ie if i use backup will i be left with a set of data that is only accessible from the original machine and if this fails then the data is inaccesible but not lost ... or does the nas backup routine ensure the data is  left on the new machine with all the same access as on the original from that new machine ( years ago i used acronis or norton and once the source machine had failed i could not access the backups so a bitter experience and now use copy if i am unsure). Is resync an incremental backup system? or it literally rewrites any data that chas changed only?

On the matter of Fan recalibration , do you do this when the disks are hot under load or when cool under no load please as I had another 3 terabytes to copy yet... and are there any indicators it has worked... or just rely on lower disk temp as proof of it worked.?

One question with the new RN316 is there a prefered way to arrange the 3 disks i have installed (at present top down 1,2,3)  in the drive bays to ensure better cooling eg 1,3,6 or 1,3,5 so that there is more empty space ( I know it still needs the disc caddy in the empty slots.). And if i were to switch them now would it prompt a 24hr resync or it doesnt matter as long as serially loaded. I could not find any mentions in the manual as to what was drive bay order 1 2 etc so not sure if top down or bottom up is correct.?

Regards Brian

Device Description  Status 
Disk 1SAMSUNG HD103UJ 931 GB , 33 C / 91 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 2Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 2794 GB , 40 C / 104 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 3SAMSUNG HD103UJ 931 GB , 34 C / 93 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 4SAMSUNG HD103UJ 931 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 5Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 2794 GB , 38 C / 100 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Disk 6Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 2794 GB , 37 C / 98 F , Write-cache ON 
OK
Fan SYS922 RPM 
OK
Fan CPU1493 RPM OK
Temp SYS56 C / 132 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU27.5 C / 81 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK
UPS 1Not present NA
Message 10 of 14
Abrail1
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark

Thanks for the advice on switching the old RNDP6310 to OS6 as I hadnt realised it would support this. Presumably it would erase the data with a factoy reset so some risk of no backup but only for a short while. Looking at the os 6 v radiator 4.20 as a lay person the old radiator does give you some explanatory notes wheras OS6 gives you NONE its just buttons on a prettier GUI. so althouh this is logical at the moment I can use radiator for some advice..

I will try the fan recalibrate once i know when to do it ( under load and hot or when cold)

I cant remember if I still have the stock fan ( large one on back .. I suspect i replaced it so hopefully the correct way around ( pumps air of out of the case currently). Is there a better one to use then?.

I like Netgear equipment it has always been very reliable and exceeded expectations but why netgear doesnt have help with each button to explain the functions beats me.. or perhaps its somewhere i dont know of? so i may stick to the old raidiator for the help it gives in the text. I doubt i will swop disks as they are very old and smaller 3TB than in the new RN316 which is using 3 x 4TB disks. ( the samsungs are 11 years old! and 3 of 4 still going).

Thanks for the advice... it is apprciated by us layfolk!

Regards Brian

Message 11 of 14
bedlam1
Prodigy

There is a 245 page OS 6 Software Manual HERE

Message 12 of 14

Always interresting topics here thxs!

Message 13 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

If you swapped the fan and didn't make sure the new one could rev up to the same RPM as the old, then it may just be pumping as much air as it can.  That would explain why the speed is slow when the system is a bit warmer than typical.  You appear to be in no danger of anything overheating, and it will shut down before it gets too hot, anyway.

You can re-calibrate the fan at any time.  That's a function that was left out of OS6.x, BTW.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements