× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready Nas RN102 - drive 2 failed

morph1
Aspirant

Ready Nas RN102 - drive 2 failed

Hi there, I believe this could be my first post on here,

I just wanted to add in that I am a very happy so far Ready Nas Duo user , the system has been working well for me for the past 3 years unfortunately I have noticed one of my drives looks like it died...

I just recently had some problems saving to NAS and now I know why, drive 2 had been failing...

My question is,  it's been so long since I set that unit up as mirror image, now the drive 2 will not light up at all and it does not show up in the RAIDar , it's obvious it needs to be replaced, I have a back up or NAS content on a separate external drive,

my question relates to what do I do next, I am aware I need to buy a drive of equal or greater volume, now once I'll get that drive do I simply push the new drive in and start up NAS and let it run its course...

Is that going to automatically image the existing drive by itself ? is there anything else I need to do to the drive before I put that into NAS bay ?

Do I create a new volume and format the drive prior  ? or simply take the drive from the store and insert it into NAS bay...

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks !

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready Nas RN102 - drive 2 failed

If you hot-insert a new disk, it will automatically sync. It might be wise to download the logs and look for exactly what went wrong.

Can you clarify your model number?  You chose the RN102 in the model tag, but said "Duo" in the title.  They are different.  Posting the firmware you are using will tell us for certain what you are running.

Message 2 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready Nas Duo - drive 2 failed

If you hot-insert a new disk, it will automatically sync. It might be wise to download the logs and look for exactly what went wrong.

Can you clarify your model number?  You chose the RN102 in the model tag, but said "Duo" in the title.  They are different.  Posting the firmware you are using will tell us for certain what you are running.

Message 3 of 14
morph1
Aspirant

thank you for your reply,

as per model it says ReadyNAS 102   firmware version 6.5.2 , this unit must be about 3 years old... sorry I am away from my computer and can only see that remotely,

when I log in as Admin the second drive shows as if it was not there - blank,  it only shows drive #1 ..., my status shows as degraded with yellow dot...

Under logs I see entry Oct. 2 Volume data health changed from REDUNDANT to DEGRADED.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

It's a good idea to download the log zip file, and look in drive_info.log and smart_history.log.

Do you have a windows PC?  If so, maybe remove the disk and test in the PC using vendor diagnostics (lifeguard for western digital, seatools for seagate).  That will help confirm that the disk failed, and not the bay in the chassis.

Though failure of a drive bay is pretty rare, so if you cannot do this, then just get a replacement drive and hot-insert it into the chassis.  NAS-purposed drives (WDC Red or Ironman) are good choices for your NAS model.  I don't recommend desktop drives (even if they are on Netgear's HCL).

Message 5 of 14
morph1
Aspirant

The current drives are 1T - seagate drives since sept of 2013, I guess if they're going bad they surely were worth the dollar...

again, thank you for your reply !, when you say hot-insert that means with the NAS powered on and the new drive unpartitioned and  unformatted, is that right ?

how long will the process take to initiate and synch with each other ? there is about 750 Gigs of content...

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@morph1 wrote:

again, thank you for your reply !, when you say hot-insert that means with the NAS powered on and the new drive unpartitioned and  unformatted, is that right ?

Yes.

@morph1 wrote:

how long will the process take to initiate and synch with each other ? there is about 750 Gigs of content...

The amount of content actually doesn't matter, even free space is synced.  Sync time should be 3-4 hours in your case (2x3TB takes 10 hours to sync).

You are about 75% full, so I'd get a 2 TB now, and probably would replace the first drive (before it fails) so you can get more free space.  If you do both at once, wait for drive 2 to resync completely before replacing drive 1.

I'd go with a WD20EFRX myself, but have no issues with the ST2000VN000.  I would not get a Seagate "DM" drive.

Also, I recommend backing up your data before doing this - it is at risk.

Message 7 of 14
morph1
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen,

So I bought the new drive I went with WD - Black 2TB  and it seems to work, my status is back to healthy...,

I just wanted to confirm a thing or two about this setup, today for example I took that new drive out of the NAS bay and installed it into my external bay connected to my work station,

and I simply wanted to view the content of the new drive, however when connected the drive reported as connected but when I search for that drive to access it it does not show up

anywhere... how do I read that drive outside the ReadyNAS bay ? , how do I know that it does carry the entire content of drive A after initiating...

Example now my drive A goes I want to make sure the new drive B has copied the entire content of drive A,,,

The original drives I had there were dated as May 28 - 2013... they were the Seagate Barracuda 1TB drives... I am surprised they lasted me that long...

Now I am planning to buy another identical WD drive to replace the drive A.

Just wondering if there is a way to access the NAS drives outisde NAS device...

thanks !

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@morph1 wrote:

Windows and Mac don't support the BTRFS file system. You need boot the PC up with linux (either using a boot CD that already has btrfs installed, or manually installing it).

An easier (and better) path is to back up the NAS so you don't need to access the file system directly.

Message 9 of 14
dschwartzer
Luminary

morph1 wrote:

I think StephenB actually answered your question but let me add this.

It is a little bit of a "leap of faith" that the data is being written to both drives in your RN102 as it is not (as StephenB said) easy to examine the actual drive contents outside the ReadyNAS.

As you saw, when you removed Drive 2 from the NAS, all of your data was still visible in the UI.  Now that you have upgraded Drive 2, when you pull Drive 1 to do the upgrade, you will see that all of your data is still visible and available on the NAS.  That would be proof that all of the data has been written to both drives.

Also keep in mind that while we refer to the drives as 1 and 2, the ReadyNAS does not really make a distinction.  What I mean is that it doesn't prioritize one drive over the other.  The X-RAID system manages data on both drives.

Like you, I am fairly new to ReadyNAS and RAID systems and, like you, had the same concerns about data being lost.  After having two drive failures and having to hot swap them at different times (and not losing any data), I have become a lot more comfortable that the system is working.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

Message 10 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We're using standard Linux software RAID. mdadm RAID is very mature and has been around since 2001. We've been using it starting with the ReadyNAS Pro we released back in 2008.

In ReadyNAS OS 6 we use the BTRFS filesystem on top of mdadm RAID.

There is some paid software for Windows that claims to be able to be used to attempt to recover data from disks taken from OS6 systems but I haven't tested that. Linux is free and what BTRFS is designed to run on and the best option to use.

If the chassis died outside of warranty the disks could be moved across to a new ReadyNAS that also runs ReadyNAS OS 6 (or later probably but you'd be best to check at the time for advice on the community should the need arise)

Support does sell software based data recovery services in the rare cases where they are needed, but do note that data recovery attempts may be unsuccessful.

RAID is great and so is BTRFS but there are still rare problems that they can't protect you against, so backups are important.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

...RAID is great and so is BTRFS but there are still rare problems that they can't protect you against, so backups are important.

Probably the most important point in all the answers...

It's easy to put a backup plan in place - rotating two USB drives is one good method.  The web UI lets you create backup jobs, and you can connect them to the backup button on the NAS.

Message 12 of 14
morph1
Aspirant

Thank you all for the replies,

I do have an external back up drive but I do the back up manually,

If lets say I wanted to do a scheduled back up lets say once per month is there a way I can do that with in NAS ?

do I connect the external USB drive to USB port in the NAS itslef or the computer...

Can I fully rely on the NAS software to back up the NAS drives content ?

I am a graphic designer with precious data since 1996 lol , holly s*&$  that's 20 years I just realized and there is also personal data as well

and I want to make sure I have a solid system..., I do trust the NASstorage solutions , it is actually a very convenient device...

I am just afraid in case the NAS itself fails... am I going to be able to use those drives in a new NAS station...

Cheers !

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@morph1 wrote:

Thank you all for the replies,

I do have an external back up drive but I do the back up manually,

If lets say I wanted to do a scheduled back up lets say once per month is there a way I can do that with in NAS ?

The software handles hourly->weekly automatically, but not monthly.  Monthly is a very slow pace for automated backups.  Mine are daily.

@morph1 wrote:

do I connect the external USB drive to USB port in the NAS itslef or the computer...

You can do either, but the setup is simpler if you connect the USB to the NAS.  NTFS formatting is fine (native to Windows and can be read on Mac).

@morph1 wrote:

Can I fully rely on the NAS software to back up the NAS drives content ?

I keep an eye on it (I get email alerts if backups fail, and you can set it up to send them if it succeeds also).

Rotating two USB drives is better than just one drive - especially if you are only updating the backup with the changes.  Sometimes USB drives fail so the files can't be read.  You usually won't discover this until you need the backup (e.g., until the NAS has failed).  Two USB copies helps protect against that kind of issue.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements