× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready nas 214 is taking space from system disk on my pc

vlad_kkk
Aspirant

Ready nas 214 is taking space from system disk on my pc

I have Ready nas 214 device connected to my windows 2012 server using iscsi, and I use it for data backups.

A couple days ago i discovered that system disk on my sever started to run out of free space in cycles. 

So after a little search, i have found that the source of this problem is Ready nas 214.

After a reboot the problem is gone but only until the next time when i start to backup some data to it.

What could happened to this device?

It has almost 80% of free space, no errors or warnings, latest firmware 6.3.10

Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready nas 214 is taking space from system disk on my pc

@vlad_kkk wrote:

After a reboot the problem is gone but only until the next time when i start to backup some data to it.

Did you reboot the NAS, the server, or both?

@vlad_kkk wrote:

It has almost 80% of free space, no errors or warnings, latest firmware 6.10.3

Is it the iSCSI LUN that has 80% free space, or is it the NAS data volume?

Have you tried to manually copy something into the iSCSI LUN?

Are you just checking the web ui for errors, or have you downloaded and looked at the full log zip file?

Message 2 of 17
vlad_kkk
Aspirant

I have rebooted the NAS only.

I had tried to copy some large files but i couldn't reproduce the problem. So i guess it happens randomly at some point, during the backups.

@StephenB Is it the iSCSI LUN that has 80% free space, or is it the NAS data volume?

It is strange - the Windows tells me that a have almost 6 Tb of free space, but in my readynas webiu i see only 749 Gb Free.

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@vlad_kkk wrote:

It is strange - the Windows tells me that a have almost 6 Tb of free space, but in my readynas webiu i see only 749 Gb Free.

Believe the Web UI.

Do you have snapshots turned on?

Message 4 of 17
vlad_kkk
Aspirant

Snapshots are disabled. 

I don't understand what could take such amount of space on my NAS. For test purposes, I have deleted for about 200 GB for now , but in my webui i can still see the same amount of free space as before. 

Possible solution ? Rebuilding the RAID array?

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@vlad_kkk wrote:

Snapshots are disabled. 

The next step is to run a balance from the volume settings wheel.

Can you post screenshots of the volume page and shares page in the web ui?

Message 6 of 17
vlad_kkk
Aspirant

Message 7 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@vlad_kkk wrote:

https://ibb.co/VVvm8mP 

https://ibb.co/QbnKrFf 

Thx.  Try turning on "quota" in the volume settings wheel.  That will give you better information on space usage (and won't apply any quotas).

After that you can also hover your mouse over the pie chart on the volume page.  You'll see some more details about file system usage if you do that.  It'd be helpful to add a screen shot showing those details.

What is the disk configuration of the NAS?  I'm seeing that you have an 8 TB (7.27 TiB) volume, but not the details of the disks and RAID mode.

Do you have ssh enabled on the NAS?

Message 8 of 17
vlad_kkk
Aspirant

I guess all free space on my nas is consumed by share from my server.

So not enough of free space might not be really a reason.

https://ibb.co/LPMFZkv 

I

Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@vlad_kkk wrote:

I guess all free space on my nas is consumed by share from my server.

So not enough of free space might not be really a reason.

As far as the NAS is concerned, the iSCSI LUN is opaque - basically a big container file of raw storage (that is, a virtual disk).   Your LUN is "thick" - so the container file on the NAS is 6.5 TB in size.  The fact that the iSCSI volume mounted on the server has 80% free space is not relevant.  The container itself is still 6.5 TB in size.

The simplest solution is to expand the storage on the NAS.  If you let us know the disks you are using, we can offer some possible options.

Message 10 of 17
vlad_kkk
Aspirant

When i was talking about free space - i meant in Windows. For now i have almost 5,5 TB of free space.

All disks are the same

https://ibb.co/d6VQ5pB 

Message 11 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

So, 5.5GB of the 6.5GB of space reserved on the NAS for iSCSI is available to Windows.  But the NAS has no knowlege of how you are using that reserved space.  From the NAS point of view, that 6.5GB is used 100%.  It can only report how much space not reserved for iSCSI and not used by other files is available.

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@vlad_kkk wrote:

When i was talking about free space - i meant in Windows. For now i have almost 5,5 TB of free space.

Both @Sandshark and I have tried to explain this more than once.  If you are looking at the iSCSI network drive in Windows, then this is normal/expected.

@vlad_kkk wrote:

All disks are the same

https://ibb.co/d6VQ5pB 

4x4TB?  If so, what is the RAID mode?  RAID-10?  RAID-6?

Message 13 of 17
vlad_kkk
Aspirant

Raid 10

Yesterday i did the balancing, after that all the daily backups were copied to the nas.

So for now the amount of free space in webui has decreased. 

https://ibb.co/Lkhh53n 

Does it mean my lun started growing? But It has thick provision type.

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@vlad_kkk wrote:

https://ibb.co/Lkhh53n 

Does it mean my lun started growing? 

No, the LUN wouldn't grow.  So I'm not sure exactly what happened there. You also have a share, correct?  How much is in the share?  I've never seen a balance decrease the free space, but I can't say with certainty that it can't happen.

If you are comfortable with the linux CLI, you could also enable ssh.  Sometimes there are snapshots that for some reason are hidden in the web ui.  But if you aren't familiar with btrfs, you should read up on that before you try to troubleshoot with the CLI.  

The net here is that you need to expand the RAID-10 volume even if you can reclaim a bit more free space. Doing that requires upgrading at least two of the disks.  Personally I'd go with 8 TB - If you stick with Ironwolf then two 8TB drives will cost about $500 in the US.  Of course prices vary by geography.

Message 15 of 17
vlad_kkk
Aspirant

What if change my lun settings from thick to thin ? is it better for performance and stabilty?

Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@vlad_kkk wrote:

What if change my lun settings from thick to thin ? is it better for performance and stabilty?

I don't think you can change it once it is created - you'll have to destroy it and create a new one.

Thick is better for performance and stability, thin is better for NAS space utilitization.

Since your LUN is 80% free, you could simply destroy it, and create a new smaller "thick" one (perhaps 4 TB). 

If you go that route, you might as well do a factory default on the NAS, and rebuild it first (restoring everything from backup).  That would give you a completely clean file system. While you are at it, you also might consider putting the backups in an ordinary NAS share - that likely would slow down the backup speed a bit, but they would be more accessible (especially if the Windows Server goes down).

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements