× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyDLNA 1.1.2.3 solved my albumartist problems, but ...

uncleremus
Aspirant

ReadyDLNA 1.1.2.3 solved my albumartist problems, but ...

There are several threads in this forum describing the problems ReadyDLNA has with meta data for compilations ("Various Artists"); see e.g. http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=34169. My most important UPnP client, the Raumfeld Connector 2, doesn't understand the meta data that the stock ReadyDLNA server in RAIDiator 4.2.26 provides for compilations. When a compilation has 20 songs by different artists, the album will show up 20 times, each with a single song. This can get annoying with a large collection - the list of albums is unneccessarily inflated. Moreover, the songs of the album can't be played in sequence without creating a playlist.

Fortunately, the update of ReadyDLNA 1.1.2.3 (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=27946) solved this problem for me.
It's still not perfect, though - now my clients will not display the song artist any more at all. This applies to both Raumfeld and BubbleUPnP.

Maybe an example makes it clear. The following vorbis comments in my FLAC file were set using MusicBrainz Picard. Only the relevant parts here:
title=Berimbeau
albumartist=Various Artists
album=Diggin' Deeper 2: The Roots of Acid Jazz
compilation=1
artist=Os Ipanemas

Stock RAIDiator 4.2.26 ReadyDLNA converts this to the following XML, which breaks the "Albums" virtual folder (note that "Various Artists" appears nowhere in the meta data any more):
<item id="1$7$0$0" parentID="1$7$0" ...>
<dc:title>Berimbau</dc:title>
<upnp:album>Diggin&apos; Deeper 2: The Roots of Acid Jazz</upnp:album>
<dc:creator>Os Ipanemas</dc:creator>
<upnp:artist>Os Ipanemas</upnp:artist>

Note that both <dc:creator> and <upnp:artist> are set to the "artist" tag from the music file.

ReadyDLNA 1.1.2.3 (and minidlna 1.1.3) come up with the following, improved scheme:
<item id="1$7$0$0" parentID="1$7$0" ...>
<upnp:artist>Various Artists</upnp:artist>

Here <upnp:artist> is changed to the albumartist tag, which works better - all I am missing is now the information about the artist e.g. in the BubbleUPnP "Now Playing" screen.

TwonkyMedia uses <upnp:albumArtist>, which works best with my clients:
<item id="0$1$12$609R5538314" refID="0$1$8I5538314" ...>
<upnp:artist>Os Ipanemas</upnp:artist>
<upnp:albumArtist>Various Artists</upnp:albumArtist>

Another improvement of ReadyDLNA 1.1.2.3 above the stock version (and Twonky, I should add) is that it sets the <dc:creator> and <upnp:artist> tags of the album itself (folder, "container") to "Various Artists". The other servers, for some unkown reason, set it to the artist of the first song in the album, which is highly irritating.

The bottom line is: ReadyDLNA/minidlna should make use of <upnp:albumArtist>.
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements