× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyDLNA does not find all files (dirs, files missing)

chokobanana
Guide

ReadyDLNA does not find all files (dirs, files missing)

Hi,
I just recently purchased a RN102 (6.0.8 ) and loaded all my media files onto it. It's been on for a few days now so any DLNA indexing services should have had more than enough time to finish.. however, a lot of folders are missing - completely randomly. And some folders contain only half the files - other files appear in wrong places. Why??

I was using a Buffalo WVL before (actually, I still am until I get this sorted out) with Twonky and it worked beautifully. Twonky detected all my files and the directory structure was very good. (it was the same as my directory structure)

With ReadyDLNA as it's now, it's completely unusable. The folder structure isn't even correct! As an example: I have 20 .mpeg files in one directory but this directory is not showing up - instead one of the .mpeg files shows up in the root (in "folder" view on TV). :? How is this even possible? If ReadyDLNA has found the directory and the files in it, why not just show the whole directory? Why would it skip 19 files and "move" the last one to root?

Photos from my last holiday won't even show up. I used 2 cameras, a sony compact and a nikon dlsr. So I have 2 directories called "Sony" and "Nikon". Both contain .jpg's For some reason only Sony shows up :? :? Twonky displays both..

I must have missed something. Where's the re-indexing button? Or how do I install Twonky? (I'm using a SONY 46" EX500 if it matters)
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You are responding a 2 year-old thread (and I suspect the bug being referred to has already been fixed).

There is no need to use SSH to force a rescan.  Just use the rescan button in the web ui.

See this: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23069/~/what-is-the-readydlna-streaming-service-and-ho...

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 33

All Replies
de_niro
Guide

have you re-scaned media share once again on ReadyDLNA service button? if the problem persists,contact support center to check DLNA database.
Message 2 of 33
chokobanana
Guide

de niro wrote:
have you re-scaned media share once again on ReadyDLNA service button? if the problem persists,contact support center to check DLNA database.

Yes, I have tried rebuilding the DB without success. I also tried restarting the device if something needed to be reset - and hit the rescan button once again.

This didn't help so next I installed Plex Media server and let it scan my photo library for 24h (it's extremely slow!) but Plex won't show up on my TV. In the settings DLNA is enabled. I have never used Plex before so I'm not sure whether Plex Server is limited to Plex Player but if Plex follows the DLNA standard it should work. (Plex Player detects Plex Server)

Has anyone successfully installed Twonky on OS 6.x?
Message 3 of 33
carvallo
Aspirant

I'm also suffering problems with ReadyDLNA, with a mismatch between what web interface shows on the server and what my streaming device 'sees' on the ReadyNAS.

I'm using a ReadyNAS102 and want to stream audio to a Naim Untiqute network player. At the moment this is all I'm using it for. I set up a simple folder structure in the Music folder (folders for each artist, with subfolders for albums) and used the ReadyNAS web interface to copy files from my iMac. Files have been ripped from CD as flac using XLD, or transcoded to .flac from existing .aiff, also using XLD. I've sorted problems with track numbering and some tag data using Bliss. I've deleted some tracks from the ReadyNAS and found that the streamer stills 'sees' them.

I then run a manual rescan to (I assumed) get the DLNA server to reindex the content. I find the information given onscreen about the rescanning process not very useful. The dialog box which indicates rescanning is in progress has an OK button. What for? The scan is in progress. Or is it? When does the scan finish? I've never seen a 'scan finished' message. Is there one? How long does a scan take? My ReadyNAS currently has less than 5Gb of content. Should it take minutes or hours?

Rescanning seems to change things, but not as expected. The streamer sees multiple entries for the same tracks, some of which I had deleted from the ReadyNAS before the rescan. Multiple entries are also created for tracks on albums which I have not altered in any way since copying to the NAS. This is not what I understood rescanning is meant to achieve. The multiple file entries can be seen by other streaming software (such as XBMC, running on my iMac).

@chokobanana This experience seems to be a little like the problems you are experiencing. Is there anyone out there who can help us? Netgear? Are you listening?
Message 4 of 33
chokobanana
Guide

@carvallo - You seem to have the same problem as me. I was also confused about the manual scan button. It's hard to know whether the scan has finished - or even started at all. I activated SSH on my RN102 and executed the "top" command to see if any new scanning process started up. As far as I could tell, there was no activity from ReadyDLNA. At least not one that consumed CPU time. I also checked the log but there are no entries in there.

To me it seems ReadyDLNA scanned half my library and then the "scanner" died, leaving the DB in an incomplete state. Is there any way I can delete the DB and start over?

Twonky is also a solution to this. I'm not sure how to install it though. I opened a thread in their forum but I haven't received any replies yet
Message 5 of 33
chokobanana
Guide

I really need to get the DLNA shares working so that I can start using my RN 102 as intended to.
I logged in via SSH and did this:

$ find -name *dlna*
/lib/systemd/system/minidlna.service
/data/.apps/.readydlna

the app data is located in "/data/.apps/.readydlna"

$ ls -l /data/.apps/.readydlna
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16 Jul 27 16:50 art_cache
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 100937728 Aug 3 21:27 files.db

"files.db" is an SQLite DB with the file structure.
I did a copy of it and opened the DB with SQLite Database Browser. In the Object table I then did a search for a photo I know doesn't show up - there is no entry for that file - which means the file has not been indexed into the database. No wonder it doesn't show up.

"/lib/systemd/system/minidlna.service" tells us where the executable is:

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/minidlnad -S

So I executed:
$ /usr/sbin/minidlnad -h

Usage:
/usr/sbin/minidlnad [-d] [-v] [-f config_file] [-p port]
[-s serial] [-m model_number]
[-t notify_interval] [-P pid_filename]
[-u uid_to_run_as]
[-w url] [-R] [-V] [-h]

Notes:
Notify interval is in seconds. Default is 895 seconds.
Default pid file is /var/run/minidlna/minidlna.pid.
With -d minidlna will run in debug mode (not daemonize).
-w sets the presentation url. Default is http address on port 80
-h displays this text
-R forces a full rescan
-L do note create playlists
-S changes behaviour for systemd
-V print the version number

Here it's possible to force a rescan. So next I did:
$ systemctl stop minidlna
$ /usr/sbin/minidlnad -S -R

The "-R" is for rebuilding the DB.

The deamon then output:
minidlna.c:972: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.1.0.
minidlna.c:353: warn: Creating new database at /apps/.readydlna/files.db
minidlna.c:1012: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
scanner.c:766: warn: Scanning /memories/Music finished (x files)!
scanner.c:690: warn: Scanning /memories/Photos
scanner.c:766: warn: Scanning /memories/Photos finished (x files)!
scanner.c:690: warn: Scanning /memories/Videos
scanner.c:690: warn: Scanning /memories/Videos
scanner.c:766: warn: Scanning /memories/Videos finished (x files)!
playlist.c:125: warn: Parsing playlists…
playlist.c:256: warn: Finished parsing playlists.

This took about 30 min to complete (about 60.000 files)
The DB file increased in size:

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16 Aug 3 22:27 art_cache
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 105984000 Aug 3 22:54 files.db

.. and all the files that I was missing now appeared! 😄
There's still a bug in there though.. the auto/rescan function does NOT work as it should. And the manual button makes absolutely no sense. At least write in the log that something is happening.
Message 6 of 33
de_niro
Guide

Thanks for the information,I've tested on my 104 and confirmed this issue,will inform the engineering to fix this issue.
Message 7 of 33
NiLe
Aspirant

I have had the exact same problem with ReadyDLNA V1.1.0 since the update to RAIDiator 4.1.12 (sparc) on my ReadyNAS v1, only about half of my movie libraries was showing. No problem before the update. I have spend days trying to fix this with no success until now.

Using the method of chokobanana solved the problem 😄 , now I can see all of my movies. I really hope Netgear fixes this soon though, manually rebuilding the database is not a long term option.

Thanks a lot for the solution chokobanana!
Message 8 of 33
myddleman
Aspirant

HI EVERYONE
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES OF FILES NOT SHOWING UP ON MY DNLA NETWORK (READYNAS DUO V1) chokobanana SOLVED IS ISSUE USING A METHOD I AM NOT SURE
HOW HE AS DONE THIS. I HAVE ADDED THE SSH ADON TO MY NETGEAR THATS ABOUT AS FAR AS I HAVE GOT PLEASE COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT EXTRA SOFTWARE DO I NEED AND HOW I GO ABOUT EDITING READYNAS
I AM USING WIDOWS7 64 BIT VERS RAIDiator 4.1.12 [1.00a043]
Memory:READY DNLA VERv1.1.0-rc4 THANKS
Message 9 of 33
StephenB
Guru

No need to SHOUT.

Chokobanana has an RN104 - completely different from your duo V1.

Are all of your files missing, or just some?
Message 10 of 33
myddleman
Aspirant

shhhh i am so sorry for shouting .
all files show up on my pc .on the dnla side i want stream all music file to my onkyo receiver i have them in a music/music folders 1 to 16 only 4 show up
different ones show up on my rokubox and on my media bluray which to play all formats from a hard drive.the same films on the ready nas some are greyed out and small file eg 700mb is 17 mb
i would be grateful i you could help .
Message 11 of 33
StephenB
Guru

Ok. There is likely a combination of two issues-

(a) Sometimes the ReadyDLNA scanning crashes due to a multimedia file it can't parse. Since the scan is incomplete there are files missing.
(b) in order for files to be played, both the ReadyDLNA server and the player need to support the format (codecs and a transport from the NAS to the player).

The only way to fix (b) is to convert the media.

Start by doing a manual rescan from Frontview, and see if that helps (services, then streaming services - you'll find a rescan control in there).

If that doesn't help, then my guess is that you running into (a). The challenge is to find the files that are causing the crash. There is an add-on that puts ReadyDLNA into debug mode here: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=27946
If you are ok with ssh command lines, you can avoid the add-on and do a manual scan from ssh, and see where it breaks. Let us know if you are interested in that approach.
Message 12 of 33
myddleman
Aspirant

thanks for your quick reply
i have many music over 140 gig flac/mp3/wmv etc
movies are various formats i had some that were mkvs and read they caused some issuses so i deletetd them
i tried a rescan after deleting the mkvs same issues were there(missing folders) ssh not sure what to do with that etc
i am to new to the world of nas drives and any help from this forum would be grateful.
Message 13 of 33
StephenB
Guru

MKVs will work (at least it does with my devices). Some MKVs have header compression, and that can cause issues with some devices.

If you aren't up on SSH then I suggest we should avoid that approach Try the debug toggle (sparc add-on in my link above) and look at the log after you rescan.
Message 14 of 33
myddleman
Aspirant

will thanks
Message 15 of 33
myddleman
Aspirant

i click on rescan files it does nothing
does not say"now scanning "
Message 16 of 33
dsm1212
Apprentice

Not sure if you are on a newer or older system. I'm only familiar with 4.x.x software. Check the contents of /var/log/upnp-av.log for errors. If you don't have ssh access download the logs from the link on top right of System->Logs page of Frontview. If you force a rescan the log output of that should show up in this log file.

steve
Message 17 of 33
myddleman
Aspirant

thanks Steve there is so much information in this log file i do not kwow what to do with it
i found apnpav and there is a lot to scroll through what am looking thanks
Message 18 of 33
StephenB
Guru

It is a lot. One thing to try is scrolling it to the end, and seeing where it stops. If the scan crashed, the media file that is provoking it will be in the vicinity of the last file in the log.
Message 19 of 33
myddleman
Aspirant

do i look in the upnpav file or some were else in the log file
thanks
Message 20 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

upnp-av.log is the log file for ReadyDLNA, so yes that is the log file to look in.
Message 21 of 33
NiLe
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
No need to SHOUT.

Chokobanana has an RN104 - completely different from your duo V1.

Are all of your files missing, or just some?

I Have ReadyNAS Duo V1 and had the same problem as Chokobanana (my Video dir only showed the first 60 or so maps) and his method solved it for me.
Message 22 of 33
StephenB
Guru

NiLe wrote:
I Have ReadyNAS Duo V1 and had the same problem as Chokobanana (my Video dir only showed the first 60 or so maps) and his method solved it for me.
His method is simply to re-scan the media files from the SSH command line instead of doing it through frontview. myddleman is hesitant to use ssh, and in this case the frontview rescan should be equivalent - at least I have always found that it rescans.
Message 23 of 33
myddleman
Aspirant

hi i found in the upnpav folder some songs in albums that could not be found. I looked in
those music folders and found a few things that were not music related so i deleted them and rescanned, all folders have now shown up in the dnla netowrk
and now everything is fine.
thanks for everyones help. 😄
Message 24 of 33
StephenB
Guru

Great!

I suggest that you switch out of the debug mode then (as you don't really want all that logging all the time). You do that by re-installing the debug add-on (the second install is really an uninstall).
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements