× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyDLNA - minimum number of characters?

ColinR1
Aspirant

ReadyDLNA - minimum number of characters?

Hello,

Hmmm, well, this is odd.

I'm not absolutely certain when this started happening, but somehow or other my DLNA database became corrupted (I think) and things have gone from there. I'm not sure what caused the corruption as I had a busy morning that included updating the ReadyNAS software version (to 6.1.9), adding other music, and changing file access permissions - so the cause could have been any or all.

I have a ReadyNAS RN102 specifically to serve music, mostly to a Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6, but also to the 8Player app on iPhones - and, since it's made life easier getting to the bottom of my problem, PlugPlayer on my Mac. All music is Apple Lossless.

All has been well, and everything works beautifully.

However, as I said, somehow or other the DLNA database seemed to have become corrupted, such that the Stream Magic app only saw a handful of Albums or Artists, though browsing by Folder was all okay. I also noticed that, oddly, one of the Albums (Michael Jackson - Bad) had multiple entries.

I tried all sorts of things, but eventually restored the ReadyNAS to factory defaults to start afresh, and copied all my music back on from a backup drive.

Hey presto, all was well - all my Albums were listed.

Except... a handful had spurious entries. Michael Jackson's "Bad" appeared as Bad, Badx, Bad8, Bad0. The Beatles "1" appeared as 1 The B. Adele's "19" appeared as 19ele. Looking at artists, ABBA appeared as ABBAx, ABBA1, ABBA8. And, in each case, there were a subset of tracks under each entry. I've spent ages generally fiddling about, re-writing the ID tags with different applications to no avail, factory restoring the NAS after every change (I'm only copying back these offending albums from my backup now, to speed up testing!)

Then it dawned on me - "Bad", "1", "19", "ABBA" are all quite short identifiers. So, factory-restoring the ReadyNAS again, I edited the ID tag for "Bad" to make the Album Name "Bad - MJ", copied to the ReadyNAS, and re-scanned. And, hey presto, there it is - one album, all correct, called Bad - MJ. The title track, "Bad", appears as "Badx" though!

Which leads me to the conclusion that the ReadyNAS has some sort of problem with short identifiers in ID tag fields - whether they are in Artist, Album etc.

Anybody any ideas - I can't be the only person with these albums on my NAS?
Message 1 of 2
ColinR1
Aspirant

Re: ReadyDLNA - minimum number of characters?

All,

Well, an update.

The new version 6.2.0 has solved the problem.

Thank goodness, thought I was going mad.

Colin
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements