× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyDLNA stuck scanning files have debug installed

sdouek
Guide

In frontview>streaming services you can break out the type of content you want readydlna to scan for, i.e.

share: media
folder: "your music folder"
content types: Music

I would recommend just putting your music up and testing and if that goes through; then video and rescan; and then pictures and rescan.

or you can edit the etc/minidlna.conf file which is a little more complicated and if you are not familiar with it don't bother and use the above method.

What you are looking for is when it stops and doesn't continue on scanning or better yet when it terminates the scan abruptly.
Message 26 of 32
dsteak
Aspirant

i was referring to when i run manually (in putty), but you answered my question (change the config). when i was having the issue the scan looked like it kept going, but was stopped. it just doesn't end or terminate. found some files it stopped on, which were created a while ago, not yesterday, so that's confusing. but i recreated them and scanned them in fine.

thanks for your help. i still don't understand everything that happened or is happening, but it seems to working for now.
Message 27 of 32
sdouek
Guide

The files might have gotten corrupt.

Have you been experiencing any re-allocated sector smart errors or even though the nas file system is enhanced not to fragment overtime your nas does becomes so fragmented from constant writes, re-writes etc. that you have to defrag the nas. I don't think the sparc base systems have that capability via frontview but I remember someone posting about it here on the forum on how to do it from the command line via ssh. I think it went something like this:

tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/c/c

umount /dev/c/c

fsck -Df /dev/c/c

*** if fsck command gives you warning mount /dev/c/c then umount it then try fsck ***

Do a search for how to defrag your nas drive, that may help you. I highly recommend before you start doing this to make a full backup of your nas and verify the backup.
Message 28 of 32
klockareson
Aspirant

sdouek wrote:
I highly recommend that if you are not familiar with using ssh stay away from it and try to install the new addon I posted above if that still does not work then try ssh.

ssh will not show up as a addon in the addon pages.

To ssh into you box you need a ssh program most use putty. Google putty it is easy to download.
After you install it and run it fill out the appropriate information:

Host name: loacl ip address of nas ( you can use the external ip but that involves setting up your router to port forward and if you are not managing a farm of nas or clients the local will do, it also opens up a host of security issues.

port: 22
connection type: ssh

Your user id will be: root
Your password will be: what ever your admin password is at the current time you installed ssh.

Good luck be careful on what you type, it is also case sensitive too.

I've had this problem for quite some time now and it seems as if there's no easy solution to it. I downloaded the latest update of ReadyDLNA, hoping that this would be the solution, but hell no. That didn't do it.
I've checked various threads on this forum, all describing the same issue, yet there doesn't seem to be a 100% fix to the problem. At least no until I came across this thread where it is explained in a very detailed way. This could be the solution for the problem, but it is worrying to see that if you aren't fully aware of what you're doing, the end result might cause you even bigger problems...

How is it that the update for the ReadyNAS product cause this problem (it started for me after the latest RAID update), and the enduser is left to try to solve it with tools that most users aren't comfortable with or even capable of using? Shouldn't the solution be handled and solved by Netgear?
It's utterly bad to see the amount of posts on this issue and yet when you turn to Hardware support, they really can't help you solve the matter.

Question for me is if I should take the risk of trying to solve it using the SSH client, which I have no idea what it is, or if I should just leave it and not use the NAS for the reason I bought it - to stream video...
Message 29 of 32
loka320
Aspirant

So I've had this problem for weeks now.

Inside of FrontView, the ReadyDLNA service shows that a scan is in progress and doesn't seem to finish.
I figure if I waited, it would finish eventually, but a few weeks is too long... isn't it?

So I bumped down ReadyDLNA to 1.0.21 (from 1.0.22) with the debug add-on so that I can download the log files.
I'm looking at the upnp-av.log file, to try to find the file that is stopping the scan, but I don't know what to look for.

It seems that people say that they found a particular file that was the culprit, but there aren't any specific details as to what error messages were or what kind of file was making the scan get stuck.

Does anyone out there know of what error message/codes I should be looking for when looking at the log file?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition
RAIDiator 4.2.19
Message 30 of 32
guyworthy
Aspirant

It make /var/log/upnp-av.log verbose. You'll need ssh to get at it though.
dsteak wrote:
i installed the debug. does it create a log file?
Message 31 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can download the logs (Status > Logs > Download all logs) to get upnp-av.log if you don't want to use SSH.
Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements