× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyDLNA useless for music streaming?

Vsk
Aspirant
Aspirant

ReadyDLNA useless for music streaming?

Running a ReadyNAS 102 to hold my music library comprising thousands of CDs ripped as flac files.

Having just bought a new streaming bridge with a bundled app, this app doesn't manage to index the music library and make it searchable. It only lets me browse folders. Clearly this is not workable.

I have a suspicion that the NAS may be the culprit as also other apps i've tried will only let me browse the NAS music share, not search it. I have been told elsewhere it is the DLNA service deciding what the front-ends or apps are able to do/display.

Question therefore: is the ReadyDLNA service built into ReadyNAS 102 so unbelievably unsophisticated that it does not support a SEARCH but only a browse of the media contens?

Any input/advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Message 1 of 6
flaminio
Aspirant

I wouldn't go as far as "useless", but it does make finding stuff in large libraries more difficult.
Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'm not sure this is really on ReadyDLNA, but there is an easy way to find out. Just install plex, and see if that provides more search functionality.
Message 3 of 6
ColinR1
Aspirant

I use ReadyNAS very successfully for streaming.

I don't have thousands of CDs (more like hundreds) but the two clients I use - 8player on iPhones and the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic app on iPhones/iPad for my Hi Fi will both search.

I've just searched for "Yellow" on 8player and it;s showing "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Yellow Submarine," "Yellow", and so on.

Sounds more like an app issue.
Message 4 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

Does the app have to use dlna. Why can't you just run the app and let it sort the library.
Where is the app installed? On the Nas or on another device?
I would agree with previous posters that this is likely not a Readynas problem.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The net is that if plex turns out to solve the problem, you can just use plex instead.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements