× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyDR back-up of a LUN

ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

ReadyDR back-up of a LUN

I have used ReadyNAS devices for a longer period, but never with using LUN's and ReadyDR jobs. I have started to use one LUN that is attached to a PC of mine and that is working fine. I want to back-up this LUN to my second RN628X and all seems fine, but I now have the following questions:

- Although the snapshot which was created today and back-upped via a ReadyDR job was finished succesfully and took over 4 hours to complete (indicating to me that the data was transferred) the share size of the created share on the receiving RN628X seems to be 0 why is that?

- I tried to restore (as a test) the created snapshot as mentioned in the manual. This creates a new LUN which I expected, but I can not see the LUN in the iSCSI environment. I would expect an unassigned LUN which I then had to assign etc. etc., but as I don't see the newly created LUN (I tried this 3 times) I can't do anything about it. The only way I see these 3 newly created LUN's is when I do a recover of the snapshot again than I do see them.

As this is new to me, it could well be that I am doing something wrong and I hope someone can give me feedback on the above.

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyDR back-up of a LUN

Hello ronaldvr2132
Thanks for reporting issue!I have submitted a bug request to the engineering,they will look into the share size issue asap.
to Recover ISCSI Lun on destination device,you need to do something on backup share

right click on the share which backed up from source NAS and click Recover
when you see the snapshots,right click on one of them,click Clone in the menu.
close the window,you will see a new ISCSI volume which created by the snapshot
go to ISCSI tab
create a new group
assign the new ISCSI volume to the group.

connect ISCSI on your Windows OS.

Message 2 of 3
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Re: ReadyDR back-up of a LUN

Thanks Deniro for reporting the share size issue. With regards to recover an iSCSI LUN: I was aware of the steps but could not see the newly unassigned LUN's after creating a clone of the snapshot I selected. I tried it several times and could not see them at that time. When I logged in a while later (probably a day in between) I did see the unassigned LUN's though. Is this perhaps a task that does not run instantly? I have tried it again just now and notice the same behaviour. In the log the message is showed "Snapshot 2017_09_22__00_00_17 was successfully cloned to share or ...". Wheres the dots stand for the LUN name I gave. I find this message disturbing though as it reads to me that the original LUN got overwritten, but that is just syntax. I now have the same issue that I can't see the Unassigned LUN. I waited for more then 10 minutes and did some refreshes, but still no luck. I will take a look tomorrow to see if the Unassigned LUN pops up. One other thing that I notice just now is that when I browse in the different snapshots I see that the date for all the snapshots to the right are the same. That seems a bug in the web UI to me or am I wrong? I attach a print screen where you can see what I mean. Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements