× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 – Blue light blinking, no boot

ChristianvD
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 – Blue light blinking, no boot

Hi,

My NAS has been working fine untill some weeks ago. The system does not boot anymore, the powerlight keeps flashing and i hear the disk rattling but no access via Raidar. The system is visible in ReadyCloud, but when clicking 'manage', the browser starts connecting ending with: 'This site can’t be reached'. I tried to do a OS-reinstall, after 1,5 days of disk rattling I cancelled the action with no result. Same for Factory default, also no results.Connecting the LAN cable to my system (in tech support mode) makes the system visible in Raidar. Tried to do a USB reboot without succes as well..

I removed disk-2 to make sure my data is secured.

Not sure what to do now... any suggestions on getting the system up and running again?

Thanks!

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 – Blue light blinking, no boot

Shut down the system and try testing disk 1 in a PC with vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).

Then power up the system (diskless) and confirm that RAIDar

• sees the system
  • reports "no disks" status.

You could then try powering down the system, and booting up with only disk 2 in place.

Message 2 of 8
ChristianvD
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Thanks for the advice. I've installed lifeguard but only have a laptop, so no idea how to connect the drive to the laptop. 

Tried to startup the NAS with only disk 2 in it.. same issue as with Disk 1. Power button keeps blinking..

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@ChristianvD wrote:

no idea how to connect the drive to the laptop. 

You'll need a usb enclosure or USB->SATA adapter.  Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-DSC9-SATA-Drive-Converter/dp/B00DQJME7Y

@ChristianvD wrote:

Power button keeps blinking..

What status is RAIDar giving you with drive 2?  Also have you tried it with no disks?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

You might need to contact Netgear.  Data recovery is expensive (no matter how you do it), but it's sounding like that might be your only option. https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Message 4 of 8
ChristianvD
Aspirant

This is a nightmare.. bought a USB to SATA cable and try to connect to Ubuntu.. mounting does not seem to work and i have no idea what I am doing.. sudo -1...etc..

All my data is on the disk and i just want to be able to access it.. 

this is the second time already the netgear 102 failed me without me having anything to do with it... the firmware upgrade just failed. Thought my data would be backuped safely with this NAS..Incredible bad product & system

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Message 6 of 8
ChristianvD
Aspirant

yes, i tried, nut nothing happens..

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru