× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - Disc formatting and blinking power light

JattaPake
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 - Disc formatting and blinking power light

Hello:

I recently purchased a ReadyNAS 102 diskless, and I physically installed two WD 2Tb Red drives (listed on the compatible list). Because these disks are unformatted, I booted up to Factory Default holding the Reset button when powering up and clicking the Backup button to select Factory Default based on the light configuration. I know the system runs for about 15 minutes doing a check so I let the system run overnight. The next morning, the Power Light is blinking. I double click the Power button to gently shut down. Nothing happens. I tried it several more times. The ReadyNAS 102 would not shut down. So I removed the power, waited and turned it back on.

I tried using the online ReadyNAS online system to find the NAS using my computer. No luck.

I repeated the boot to Factory Default. I let the system run for a couple hours. Again, the power light is blinking and the NAS won't power down with two clicks of the power button. Again, I am unable to find the NAS on my computer.

Clearly, I must be misunderstanding how to format and install the drives. The online manual says a blinking Power LED means the NAS is booting or powering down. But nothing happens and the light keeps blinking. What am I missing?
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you see the instructions here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22892/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-1...

Btw if you only inserted disks that are unformatted and have no partitions on them a factory default should take place automatically without needing to use the boot menu.
Message 2 of 16
timc555
Aspirant

Same issue here - using a ReadyNAS 102 but with two brand new WD Red 1TB disks. Powered it on and the light has been blinking for a couple of hours now. I haven't done anything else. Act light is on/blinking and disk lights 1 & 2 are on.

I thought that this unit should format the disks automatically. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried logging in to the admin web page?
Message 4 of 16
timc555
Aspirant

I have and i've managed to set the NAS up. However, looking in the cloud services there is an indicator that there is no internet. The power light is still flashing.

A thought - can I connect the NAS to the router via a switch?
Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You can of course use a switch (and if router is fast-ethernet you will get better performance if you do).

Though I am not sure that I would trust the cloud-reported status just yet. In any event, the main thing is to confirm is that the setup is complete.

So you can get to the NAS web ui. Can you also access the shared folders from Windows (or Mac)?
Message 6 of 16
JattaPake
Aspirant

I attempted to "find" the NAS using the web-based ReadyCloud application. Should I try using the included software?

Also, why won't the ReadyNAS power off with two presses of the Power button? Why do the lights continue to blink?
Message 7 of 16
timc555
Aspirant

I have now managed to access the shared folders via Windows Control Panel > View Network Computers and Devices.

I'm keen to use the Cloud services - should I wait until tomorrow (its 2100 here) then check the UI again? It is still showing a red cross against the Internet Connection and Connecting text on the Cloud.
Message 8 of 16
timc555
Aspirant

Sorry, I can't access the shared folders - the link via Control panel takes me to the UI log in rather than into the folders.
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

timc555 wrote:
Sorry, I can't access the shared folders - the link via Control panel takes me to the UI log in rather than into the folders.
Open Windows Explorer ("Computer", not the browser) and enter \\NASNAME or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address assigned to the NAS.
Message 10 of 16
timc555
Aspirant

I can access the UI using that method - its showing as a storage device which, if I click on it, I get the usual Certificate warning then I'm into the ReadyNAS admin page.

However, the NAS is not showing on the network so I cannot access the folders.

If I use Control panel > Network and Internet > Network Map, I can see the devices attached via the switch to the router but the NAS is listed at the bottom as "The following discovered device(s) cannot be placed on the map".
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

If you end up in the Web UI, then I think you might be using the browser, and not windows explorer (computer).
Another way that can happen is if you forget to enter the starting \\. BTW, be careful not to enter // by mistake.
Message 12 of 16
timc555
Aspirant

Thanks - that gets me into the folders in Explorer (Computer). I must have used //. On the left, where all folders, favorites, etc are listed, under Network I can see the NAS. However, if I open a shortcut to my other main folder locations (again using Computer) the NAS does not appear in the Network list. In addition, if I open Word and attempt to save a document, I cannot save it to the NAS.

Is there a way to get the NAS universally recognised on the Network?
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

timc555 wrote:
...However, if I open a shortcut to my other main folder locations (again using Computer) the NAS does not appear in the Network list.
Correct. Using the work-around does not change the way the NAS appears in the network list. There is another work-around btw, which is to permanently map the NAS folders to network drives.

timc555 wrote:
...In addition, if I open Word and attempt to save a document, I cannot save it to the NAS.
That would be a different issue - probably the folder is read-only for some reason.

timc555 wrote:
Is there a way to get the NAS universally recognised on the Network?
Not that I know of. Also, I don't know if this is a windows issue or a NAS issue.
Message 14 of 16
timc555
Aspirant

Thanks again.

I have mapped the folders and can now get the access I need within the LAN.

The next crucial thing for me is to get ReadyCloud working. If I go to http://readycould.netgear.com and click discover it returns with No Devices Discovered. I have created an account.

Do I need to change any router settings or what steps should I take to gain access via this service?
Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Is ReadyCLOUD turned on in the NAS (check the Cloud tab)?
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements