× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 Power LED flashing after power failure

Mark_T_H
Tutor

ReadyNAS 102 Power LED flashing after power failure

Our ReadyNAS has a single factory supplied drive in bay 1.  We had a power failure that has left the ReadyNAS 102 with a flashing power LED.

Initially the unit would not shut down pressing the power button twice, so I had to pull the power plug, press the reset button, and plug the power cord in.  I was able to select OS reinstall and the release the reset button.  Nothing changed over night, the power LED was still flashing the next morning.

So I tried the two pushes on the power button and nothing happened, still flashing power LED.  When I tried the pulling the power plug, pressed reset button, plugged in the power cord, then started the scroll through boot modes, all the lights went out except the power LED and the Act light.  No other options scrolled by.  When I released the reset button, the disk one light came on and the power LED started flashing again.

I cannot log into the device with a web browser, and when I look at the ReadyCloud page I only see some of the document folders...

-Mark

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 Power LED flashing after power failure

You might try RAIDar 6.4, and let us know what status it sees for the NAS. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 2 of 6
Mark_T_H
Tutor

RAIDar 6.4 says;

Status: Previously formatted disk(s) detected (Dirty Disks)

Firmware: 6.9.2

"The disks installed on this ReadyNAS system  are formatted in a file system that the system does not recognize.  You must reformat these disks in a recognized file system to continue set-up.  reformatting disks means that you will lose any data on them.  Click Format to continue."

Wow!  That's what happens after a power failure!!   I can't get the device to respond in any way, but RAIDar will reformat the disks anyway?  There has to be another option to retrieve the data off this device.  Is the Data still in ReadyCloud?

-Mark

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

ReadyCloud is a VPN that provides access, it doesn't include cloud storage.

What you could try is getting the Paragon Linux-for-Windows package (~$20): https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/linuxfs-windows/ That does support btrfs - if the file system isn't corrupted it should be able to access the data volume if you connect one of the RN102 disks via USB.  Though I haven't tested this with RAID-1 myself.

ReclaiMe RAID recovery software is another option, though much more expensive.

You could also try paid Netgear support (my.netgear.com).

@Mark_T_H wrote:

Wow!  That's what happens after a power failure!!  

Bad things can happen when cached writes are lost.  I always recommend using a UPS with all NAS.  FWIW you should also have a backup plan in place, since RAID alone isn't enough to keep data safe.

Message 4 of 6
Mark_T_H
Tutor

I was able to copy mission critical data from two computers that access the ReadyNAS drive regularly and have the ReadyCloud symbol in favorites in Windows Explorer to our older NAS drive.  Not sure how that worked, but it did.

I then purchased and installed Paragon Linux-for-Windows, put the 1Tb drive in an external drive box and connected it via USB.  Paragon Linux-for-Windows was unable to read the drive under any circumstances (software did not "see" a drive).  Since it could not "see" a drive in the external box, it was unable to format or provide any other services.

I was able to put a 100Gb drive in Bay 1 and format it.  I then put the corrupted 1Tb drive in Bay 2 and it showed up as present, performed some internal magic, and is listed as 1Tb volume, but I could not access it, nor could I format it.

I'm now thinking that stuffing the 1Tb drive in a Windows computer and reformatting it will help it to become visible when it is returned to the NAS Bay 1.  From there I could reformat it for NAS use and reload our data...

When I get this back in service I will have an appropriate recommended UPS for it...

Any other advice?

-Mark

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Mark_T_H wrote:

I'm now thinking that stuffing the 1Tb drive in a Windows computer and reformatting it will help it to become visible when it is returned to the NAS Bay 1.  From there I could reformat it for NAS use and reload our data...

You should be able to select the drive on the volume page (using the graphic in the center) and then format it.

But reformatting in Windows is another option.  There are a couple of variations

(a) use Windows Disk Manager to delete all the partitions on the drive.  That will unformat it (which is all that is needed)

(b) Use Western Digital's Lifeguard tool to zero the drive (which is one of the advanced tests).  That will also give you an unformatted drive, but also serves a good diagnostic.  I've seen several cases where zeroing the drive will find disk errors that other tests miss.

While reformatting in Windows isn't actually needed, you do need to delete all the partitions.  You can then reformat the drive with one partition if you like.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements