× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 - Random Data Loss

mrtunnel
Aspirant

Good morning everyone

Now I don't know when this exactly happened, but last night I updated the firmware to the latest release, reboot,ed and noticed that a lot of my data has gone missing.

I've checked the snapshots back to February and the missing data isn't in there either. I did a scrub last night but that's not brought them back.

I have a backup of the NAS so not all is lost, but trying to understand what has happened. I've not deleted this data and it seems random folders/files have gone. 

Is there any logs I can check?

The status of the device and disks say healthy. Going thought he Admin GUI, they do not show either. I fear these are lost completely, but before I start copying data back I want to see if there is anything I am missing in order to recover this data.

Thanks in advance

Model: RN10221D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS102 - Readycloud partial share failure

@mrtunnel wrote:

Is there any logs I can check?

It'd be good to look in system.log and kernel.log

Your title says "Readycloud".  But your post suggests that the data is missing even when you aren't using ReadyCloud.  Is that correct?

Message 2 of 8
mrtunnel
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS102 - Readycloud partial share failure

Hi

Yes that was the subject line I put in orginally, then when I posted it I noticed it had changed. I'm not having a good week 🙂

I had a look through the system logs last night in the Admin GUI. How do I download the kernal logs?

Thanks for your time on this one

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@mrtunnel wrote:

I had a look through the system logs last night in the Admin GUI. How do I download the kernal logs?

Download the log zip file from the logs page in the admin gui.  There's a lot in there that doesn't appear in the GUI.

Message 4 of 8
mrtunnel
Aspirant

Thank you, I will do that tonight and see what I can find. Have to say this has knocked my confidence in the unit.

Message 5 of 8
mrtunnel
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - Random Data Loss

Hi

I’ve downloaded the logs. Could you point in the right direction as to which logs I need to look at please. Which would show folders and files being deleted?

Many thanks
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The system doesn't log file deletions.  But the system itself shouldn't have deleted files anyway.  The loss could have come from user error (in which case you won't see it in the logs), or it is the result of a failure of some kind.

So you should be looking for errors - either disk errors or btrfs errors.  I'd look in system.log and kernel.log

You can also send a private message to one of the mods (for instance @JohnCM_S ) or maybe @Hopchen (former Netgear), and ask them to analyze the logs.  You'd put the log zip in cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, etc), and send them a link as part of your request.  You send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum.  

Don't post that link publicly though - there is some stuff in them that it's best not to post.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Is it individual files that are missing, or whole shares?  If individual files, and they are not in the snapshots, then that's an extremely odd case.  If a whoe share has been deleted, it's snapshots will be deleted with it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements