× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - Sharing Folders

Craig_X
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 - Sharing Folders

Configured two new shares with access limited to two users for one of the new shares and limited to one user for the other. I tested from the two users, and one has access to both and the other has access to only one.  So far so good.  Then I went to test from a third computer using a third account.  This account should have access to neither of the new shares, but it has access to both.  I went so far as to remove this user's account, and he still has full access.  I log this user out from Windows 7 and log back in as another user, and then there is no access...as it should be.  Log back as the first user, and he has full access again.  He can roam all over the shares with no account on the NAS and he is never asked to supply credentials.  Here is another peculiarity....  When browsing the network (using SMB) he sees the NAS and then upon exploring it he sees all the shares....and he sees on call "admin" and one call "data".  Not much within "admin", but "data" has all the shares under it.  To me this seems that this user is being recongnized as the admin account, but it makes no sense.

NAS Problem.JPG

Model: RN10221D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Craig_X wrote:

and he sees one called "admin" and one called "data".  Not much within "admin", but "data" has all the shares under it.  To me this seems that this user is being recongnized as the admin account, but it makes no sense.

Yes, he is definitely using the NAS admin account credentials.  Try opening the windows credential manager, and see if those credentials are stored there for the NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Craig_X wrote:

and he sees one called "admin" and one called "data".  Not much within "admin", but "data" has all the shares under it.  To me this seems that this user is being recongnized as the admin account, but it makes no sense.

Yes, he is definitely using the NAS admin account credentials.  Try opening the windows credential manager, and see if those credentials are stored there for the NAS.

Message 2 of 3
Craig_X
Aspirant

BINGO!

Yes, he had stored the admin credentials....probably somehow from the many times I've managed the NAS from that computer.  Strange that it stored the credentials for accessing via SMB when management is done via http, but not the wierdest thing I've ever seen.  I cleared the credientials, logged out of windows, logged back in, and now it works just as it should.

Thank you for excellent advice.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements