× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 compatible 2.5 inch drives

dagmarian
Guide

ReadyNAS 102 compatible 2.5 inch drives

Can anyone point me to a list of 2.5 inch SATA drives that are compatible with the ReadyNAS 102?  The only hardware list I can find doesn't distinguish between 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives ands I have a feeling doesn't list any 2.5 inch versions.

Message 1 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dagmarian,

The only list we follow is the official HCL. Others users have tried disks that are not listed but NETGEAR does not guarantee it.

See page 117 at http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/RN_OS_6_Desktop_HW_UM_12Oct2015.pdf for steps how to add 2.5in HDD/SSD.

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
dagmarian
Guide

JennC thanks for your quick reply - however I'm still not wiser about determining which, if any, of the drives listed on the HCL are 2.5 inch ones.  Am I missing something?

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Most drives are 3.5 inch.

Why do you particularly want to use a 2.5" disk?

Message 4 of 10
dagmarian
Guide

Hi, I'm thinking of buying an OWC device like this and was attracted by the possibility of using the same drive subsequently in the ReadyNAS if my setup and needs evolved.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

2.5" support is mainly for SSDs.  There are a handful of SSDs on the HCL, most are very old models.

I think using your hand-me-down drives in your NAS is not a good idea.  You are better off getting drives that are intended for NAS. WDC Red, Seagate VN are both affordable and have better warranties than desktop drives.  

Message 6 of 10
dagmarian
Guide

Yep, sounds like good advice.  I already have a WD Red

drive in the ReadyNAS (just one at present whilst I figure out what it's good for and what it's not - such as Time Machine backups over WiFi!

I just like to be able to explore the claimed functionality and for documentation and info from suppliers / manufacturers to be coherent.

regards, 

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I think the HCL policy for drives is being looked at (JennC mentioned that it might change to a "incompatible" list).  That would be a good thing for users - support would no longer be denied for straying from the list.  

Message 8 of 10
dagmarian
Guide

Thanks, good to know.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would suspect you would see more benefit from getting a more powerful ReadyNAS e.g. RN212, and using the same disks you are now, than putting an SSD in a RN102.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements