× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 does not accept encryption key after upgrade to 6.9.3

tomiko
Initiate

ReadyNAS 102 does not accept encryption key after upgrade to 6.9.3

I'm using encrypted volumes on ReadyNAS 102, and after upgrading firmware to 6.9.3 it stopped accepting encryption key from a USB drive. It's just waiting for 10 minutes as if there was no USB stick, and after boot the volume is inactive (and it offers me to remove it).

I'm following the same steps as before - format a USB stick as FAT32, copy the key into data.key in the root (the volume name is "data"), etc. But this time it does not seem to be working, for some reason. I've tried multiple USB sticks, etc.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 3
yxue
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS 102 does not accept encryption key after upgrade to 6.9.3

Hi, can your USB be seen on you PC. Copy encryption key to the USB, then plug it in NAS, boot NAS again.
Message 2 of 3
tomiko
Initiate

Re: ReadyNAS 102 does not accept encryption key after upgrade to 6.9.3

I have no idea why but I've tried once more, and this time it worked for some reason. The only thing I did differently was that I've formatted the USB disk from the NAS admin interface (and then uploaded the encryption key to it). Not sure what was wrong before ...

FWIW I've tried multiple USB drives, before. I've copied the file to the USB, with a filename that matches the volume name (volume is "data" so the file is "data.key"). I've plugged it into the NAS, rebooted it, it seemed the NAS is accessing it (judging by the blinking of the LED on the USB disk), but after a 10-minute wait it just booted without the volume.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements