× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 replace disk now problems with second one

rick1588
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 replace disk now problems with second one

Replaced Disk 2 in my RAID Level 1 NAS102 system and almost immediately starting getting errors on Disk 1. Not sure if I should replace second disk at this point?

After using the 2-drive NAS for years, I started receiving warnings on Feb 20 "Detected increasing ATF error on disk 2". Amassed 193 times in 2 days. On Feb 24, I replaced disk 2 with a new WD drive (same model). After install, I received "Resync finished however volume is still degraded" error. Then the log says "disk in channel 2 (internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE. I did a disk test that reported "Disk test failed on disk in channel 1. Feb 25 I ran scrub and started receiving "Detected increasing ATA error count on disk 1 (109 times in 2 days). Feb 26 Scrub completed for volume date. Messages have stopped for now, but RAIDar 6.0 reports Status: "Volume data RAID Level 1, Not Redundant; 544.2 GB (59%) of 925.2 GB used", Admin page Status reads "Degraded".

Firmware: 6.10.2

Complete log file attached.Can anyone help me make sense of this?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 replace disk now problems with second one

@rick1588 wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. Is it normal that the status would show different in RAIDar vs. the admin page?

Not Redundant and Degraded are two different ways of giving exactly the same status.

Disk 1 has failed and is no longer part of the array, and it needs to be replaced.  It would be wise to back up your data before replacing the disk.

@rick1588 wrote:

but is there any concern that it will not be able to properly sync due to the "Not Redundant" or "Degraded" status?

To be clear, the resync is needed to recover from the degraded status.  However, there is risk - if disk 2 fails during the resync, then your data would be lost.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, it appears you need to replace drive 1 and you are very lucky the re-sync completed before that drive went offline.

Message 2 of 5
rick1588
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick reply. Is it normal that the status would show different in RAIDar vs. the admin page? I don't mind replacing another disk but is there any concern that it will not be able to properly sync due to the "Not Redundant" or "Degraded" status?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@rick1588 wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. Is it normal that the status would show different in RAIDar vs. the admin page?

Not Redundant and Degraded are two different ways of giving exactly the same status.

Disk 1 has failed and is no longer part of the array, and it needs to be replaced.  It would be wise to back up your data before replacing the disk.

@rick1588 wrote:

but is there any concern that it will not be able to properly sync due to the "Not Redundant" or "Degraded" status?

To be clear, the resync is needed to recover from the degraded status.  However, there is risk - if disk 2 fails during the resync, then your data would be lost.

Message 4 of 5
rick1588
Aspirant

I understand and have ordered the replacement disk. Thanks for explaining. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements