× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 Bricked

Scorpotia
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 Bricked

Hi,

I have posted twice on the forums here but noone has replied. I was wondering if someone could possibly help me out to get my NAS back up and running again.

Originally my NAS was saying that it was running out of space. I proceeded to remove snapshots and configure them to auto remove after so often. I then lost connection to the GUI so I rebooted and all my shares were gone from the GUI. I still had access to the data in Windows Explorer as i had mapped them as networked drives. I promptly begain backing up the data. I thought i'd try making a new share and renaming it to one i previously had, it then restored all the files into that share. I did this to all the shares but then on Windows Explorer i had full access to folder called "data" which was not a share I made. Inside this folder was alot of stuff that I had no idea about and didn't wan't easy access to so I wanted to make the NAS back the way it was by doing a factory reset, that failed and didn't boot, i then tried an OS reinstall, failed and didn't boot. I then tried USB recovery and it didn't work either. I'm at a complete loss now.

If I try to do a factory default, i get an error, "ERR; Could p creating volume", then it changes to "ERR: Registering data filesystem", RAIDar shows, Corrupt Root.

If I try an OS Reinstall I get, "do_exit+9ac", nothing on RAIDar.

On Normal Boot I get, "do_exit+9ac", nothing on RAIDar.

Trying to boot from USB, i get "DEBUG: $PORT $IP Recovery" with R flashing, RAIDar says Tech support Mode, Debug Code; TELNET Mode.

I have got all the data off the drives, I have removed them and tried them all indivually to see if it would just do an initial setup, to no avail. I have tried writing zeroes to one drive and attempting everything again, still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm not suree what you mean by "writing zeros". If you are doing that to an existing partition, you've not done what is necessary, which is remove all partitions.

USB recovery was really  a bad idea before trying a drive with no partitions (a different one or one of the old ones).  They say do so on the advice of Netgear only for a reason.  If that's not the problem, it can make matters worse.

Message 2 of 6
Scorpotia
Aspirant

I used Western Digitals software to write zeroes to the drive. I did remove all partitions on all drives and ran the SMART disk test thing. All good.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Scorpotia wrote:

then on Windows Explorer i had full access to folder called "data" which was not a share I made.

That was just the full data volume - you'll see that if you access the NAS using admin credentials.  So it wasn't a sign of any corruption, it was just normal behavior.

@Scorpotia wrote:

I have tried writing zeroes to one drive and attempting everything again, still no luck.

Try removing all the disks, and zeroing all of them (zero the entire disk, don't use the quick version). Then look at the SMART stats after you zero them.

While the disks are out, try powering up the NAS, and see if the NAS reports a no-disks status on the LCD.  This is just to confirm that the boot loader is basically functioning with no disks.

When the first disk is zeroed, you can try to do a factory install with just that one disk - just insert it into the NAS and power up.  That will complete more quickly than doing the default with all disks installed.

Assuming that works, you have two ways to proceed.  One is to add the disks one at a time.  The other is to re-zero the first disk (using the quick zero this time) and try a factory install with all disks in place.

The first way is much slower, but if there is an issue with a specific disk or drive bay it will be easier to diagnose.

Message 4 of 6
Scorpotia
Aspirant

Before I posted the the first time today i put all 4 disks back in turned it on. It faulted, I just left it. It shut itself down.

I just removed all drives and booted it normally and it started looking for disks then went into safe mode, it's never done that before. I can now access the GUI and have reinserted all 4 drives.

Have formatted all drives and it's currently building the raid.

86 hours left. I'll post back here when it's done.

Thanks everyone.

Message 5 of 6
Scorpotia
Aspirant

All seems to be working successfully. Have just updated the latest firmware today to 6.9.5.

I had an issue with the power supply brick turning itself off. No green light for no apparent reason. I bought a like for like replacement but it couldn't handle the load, the DC cable got quite hot and it failed to power the NAS. I found another one online with what looks like a larger cable and it worked soit's all good on that front.

I have no idea what went wrong initially or how it appeared to fix itself.

My thanks to those who helped.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements