× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS (104) - OS6.10 - SMB wont active (can't start from SSH too)

Buddhika
Aspirant

ReadyNAS (104) - OS6.10 - SMB wont active (can't start from SSH too)

Recently upgraded to v6.10.0. Since then, can't start SMS. It won't go green in GUI. Tried to start in the SSH shell. it failed. also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Samba from SSH Shell

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Buddhika
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS (104) - OS6.10 - SMB wont active (can't start from SSH too)

Finally got it solved! I was able to start the SMB service again just by deleting an invalid entry in my /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides file. the entry was like "max protocol = null" . so this part was blocking the start of SMB service. just by deleting this, SMB was up. This saved me at least a week of data restoraion time. 

Thanks for the support!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you try an OS reinstall?

If that fails, then the simplest (though time-consuming) path is to do a factory reset, reconfigure the NAS, and restore the files from backup.

Message 2 of 4
Buddhika
Aspirant

Yes, did an OS Reinstall. no change. its about 6.5TB of data. already backed up (for several days), Now I don't want to go through the pain of reinstalling it for another week or so. I would rather try to SSH and fix SMB issue, at the end of the day its debian linux, so I am hoping a linux guru may help me out here. I like a challange, so don't want to just reset to factory default.

Message 3 of 4
Buddhika
Aspirant

Finally got it solved! I was able to start the SMB service again just by deleting an invalid entry in my /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides file. the entry was like "max protocol = null" . so this part was blocking the start of SMB service. just by deleting this, SMB was up. This saved me at least a week of data restoraion time. 

Thanks for the support!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements