× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104, anonymous access from Windows

mervincm
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104, anonymous access from Windows

Have a ReadyNAS 104. I want to be able to have some read/write access to some folders on the NAS without ID&P/W requirement.
This is how my WD router/NAS works with its internal 1TB HDD. I understand this is how the ReadyNAS 104 should be by default as well.
It's had the latest released firmware (6.08) and now even the most recent public beta (6.1.1 from aug 10th)
I have installed 4 1TB seagate 7200.12 HDD, and am using the factory RAID config (RAID5 for a total of about 2.6TB)
I have performed a factory reset. IP is set via DHCP reservation so I always know what it will get.
My desktop client PC is a Windows 8 machine and it's a member of a windows domain if that makes a difference.

After I run the factory reset, and before I run the NAS config wizard, the ReadyNAS 104 shows up on my client as follows
It appears in the Network Storage TAB as nas-XX-XX-XX
it appears in the Network Media Devices TAB as nas-XX-XX-XX:ReadyNAS 104
it does NOT appear in the Network Computer TAB as you would expect a NAS with SMB enabled to show up, I suspect this is

in the Setup Wizard I
-set timezone, Auto Time
-Set NAS name to RNAS
-skip email for alert
-choose a unique password
-clear registration prompt as I have already registered this device

At this point the new "computer" RNAS appears in Network\Computer TAB, and the new name is correctly displayed under the Network Storage and the Network Media devices TABs

When I d-click on the new RNAS "computer" to see the available shares, I get the Windows Security pop up box asking me to enter the network password.
It says Enter your password to connect to:RNAS
Username (BOX)
Password (BOX)
Domain:mydomain
remember my credentials (checkbox)
Then a curious error message "The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later."

The windows DC is up and available. I believe that it is looking for something else to authenticate the ReadyNas 104.

With my other NAS, the WDC router/NAS box, it works as expected, and shows me the available shares.
Message 1 of 2
mervincm
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 104, anonymous access from Windows

This might be resolved. I changed my workstation primary DNS to the DC, and I temporarily moved authentication to Windows AD and then back to local NAS accounts. I will update if my issues return with more details.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements