× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 keeps powering down randomly

LiorDesign
Tutor

ReadyNAS 104 keeps powering down randomly

Hi,

Ineed some help with my readyNAS 104 (running 4x1TB WD red hdd's).

It's been working great in my home office for the past several years with regualr updates to the firmware. This week out of the blue I discovered it started powering down at random times with no apperent reason. I tried upgrading to the latest 6.10.0 Hotfix 2 firmware but the problem still pressits. Sometimes it powers back on after a couple of hours and sometimes it doesn't. I don't have any power timer enabled and the unit is connected to  a UPS.

all I can see in the logs is:

May 15, 2019 06:45:24 PM

System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
May 15, 2019 04:45:13 PM

System: The system is shutting down.

any help would be appreaciated.

thanks.

LiorDesign

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So, lets try one of the back usb ports instead to connect the ups and see what happens.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 15

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @LiorDesign, I see three areas your could work on: (3) The box itself, (2) the external power supply or (1) the ups and would start with the latter.

(1) Just disconnect the nas from the ups (power and data) and directly connect it to a power outlet in the wall. You know the frequency of the shutdowns and reboots already very well and will be able to decide, whether this change makes any difference. Should the nas stop misbehaving you can continue to troubleshoot the ups.

(2) To test, whether the external powersupply is the problem you need a spare part. Well 'nuff said.

(3) Hopefully you do not end here, which might be a never ending story and probably is a hint of fate to start thinking about replacing that Methuselah should you not want to be surprised one day by its "sudden and unexpected" death.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 15
Hopchen
Prodigy

To add, I can take a look in the logs to see if I can determine why it shuts down. If you want, download the logs from the NAS. Then upload the zip file to a Google drive or similar and share it via a link. PM me the link and I will take a look for you. Cheers

Message 3 of 15
LiorDesign
Tutor

great advise, thank you. Staring to test and will re post my findings.

Message 4 of 15
Hopchen
Prodigy

The NAS is complaining about the usbfs module before it crashes. Example below from the kernel log:

May 15 19:43:17 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 2 ret -110
May 15 20:27:11 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 2 ret -110
May 15 21:52:35 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 2 ret -110
May 15 22:31:39 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 3 ret -110
May 15 22:32:04 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 2 ret -110
May 16 05:02:06 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 3 ret -110
May 16 05:19:15 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 3 ret -110
May 16 05:19:30 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 2 ret -110
May 16 05:20:20 LIORDESIGN kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 3 ret -110
May 16 05:53:17 LIORDESIGN systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
-- Reboot --

Do you have any USBs attached to the NAS in general?

Cheers

Message 5 of 15
LiorDesign
Tutor

/That's interesting. The ups is connected to the front USB port. The back ports are only used for backup to an external drive but nothing is currently attached there.

Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Hopchen wrote "Do you have any USBs attached to the NAS in general?"

well, that seems to be the ups. my ups is connected by a cable usb on the nas side and rj45 on the ups side. @LiorDesign just needs to confirm, that the ups is connected to the nas in the same way and we have found a strong candidate to blame.

Message 7 of 15
Hopchen
Prodigy

Ahhh the UPS of course 🙂

Message 8 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So, lets try one of the back usb ports instead to connect the ups and see what happens.

Message 9 of 15
LiorDesign
Tutor

fantastic, will do.

Message 10 of 15
Hopchen
Prodigy

Let us know how it goes. If issue persists after changing USB port, we can get new logs then and re-visit it. Cheers

Message 11 of 15
LiorDesign
Tutor

I moved the usb cable to the back top port and initially things imporved (ie. didn;t shut down in under ah n hour), but loosk like the system rebooted several times yesterday. Will send new logs. Thanks.

May 18, 2019 11:38:40 AM

May 18, 2019 11:29:57 AM

May 18, 2019 09:18:11 AM

May 18, 2019 09:04:36 AM

May 18, 2019 09:00:28 AM

May 18, 2019 06:58:20 AM

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@LiorDesign wrote:

I moved the usb cable to the back top port and initially things imporved (ie. didn;t shut down in under ah n hour), but loosk like the system rebooted several times yesterday. Will send new logs. Thanks.

After gathering the new logs, I suggest leaving the cable disconnected, and see if that makes any difference.

Message 13 of 15
LiorDesign
Tutor

I kept the usb cable connected in the back and system has been up for over three days without a hitch. I'm guessing the front port is the issue at this point. Thank you for all the help!

Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @LiorDesign, great to hear, that we could help you. Kind regards

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements