× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 to Ultra 6 Migration?

ReadyNAS 104 to Ultra 6 Migration?

I have a 104 with 4 drive in raid 5. How can I hot swap them into my Ultra 6? I will upgrade the Ultra to OS6 prior. Thx.
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 to Ultra 6 Migration?

@Redlikemethodz wrote:

I have a 104 with 4 drive in raid 5. How can I hot swap them into my Ultra 6? I will upgrade the Ultra to OS6 prior. Thx.

I suggest repurposing the RN104 as a backup NAS instead (though that might require purchasing new disks, depending on the state of the Ultra).

You say "hot swap", but I am assuming that you mean "migrate".  The process requires you to transfer the disks with the systems powered down.  It's best to update your backup before you manipulate the disks. 

1. Convert the Ultra to OS-6 first with a scratch disk, and then make sure the firmware is the same on the two systems. 
  2. Uninstall your apps on the RN104 before migrating. 
  3. Power down both systems
  4. Remove the scratch disk in the Ultra
  5. Move the RN104 disks to the Ultra (preserving the slot order)
  6. Power up
  7. Reinstall your apps.

One caveat - normally x86 systems use BTRFS for both the OS partition and the data volume.  Arm systems use EXT for the OS partition (but of course use BTRFS for the data volume).  When you migrate, the process won't convert the OS partition formatting, so it will remain EXT.  This won't create any problems, but you might notice it if you use ssh (and it will also be apparent in the logs).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Redlikemethodz wrote:

I suggest repurposing the RN104 as a backup NAS instead (though that might require purchasing new disks, depending on the state of the Ultra).

You say "hot swap", but I am assuming that you mean "migrate".  The process requires you to transfer the disks with the systems powered down.  It's best to update your backup before you manipulate the disks. 

1. Convert the Ultra to OS-6 first with a scratch disk, and then make sure the firmware is the same on the two systems. 
  2. Uninstall your apps on the RN104 before migrating. 
  3. Power down both systems
  4. Remove the scratch disk in the Ultra
  5. Move the RN104 disks to the Ultra (preserving the slot order)
  6. Power up
  7. Reinstall your apps.

One caveat - normally x86 systems use BTRFS for both the OS partition and the data volume.  Arm systems use EXT for the OS partition (but of course use BTRFS for the data volume).  When you migrate, the process won't convert the OS partition formatting, so it will remain EXT.  This won't create any problems, but you might notice it if you use ssh (and it will also be apparent in the logs).

Message 2 of 5

Thanks!
Message 3 of 5

Worked like a charm. Thanks!
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Redlikemethodz wrote:
Worked like a charm. Thanks!